Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
The dual USB is required. The only other thing that changes whether the system works with AA vs. Carplay is byte 115. Byte 115 has to be 15(not 14), otherwise only AA will work.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
405 Posts
Someone asked for a tutorial on the installation of Carplay, this is the best one that I've found. (there's also a Stelvio one)

Thanks for sharing! Good clear photos and screw locations well indicated. 30 to 40 mins ha ha. Maybe if I was a small child and could comfortably fit in the footwell!

·
Registered
52 Posts
After much delay, here is the step by step process(with shiny new photos) to installing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into a 2017 Giulia.

The vehicle can have the large or small screen set-up, but must have a new version radio installed. This must be used on a version 2.5 radio module, and the radio must have never had the CarPlay activation manually set to off(in WiTech). The center console new 2-usb port must be installed on the vehicle.

Needed scan tools:
A.) Multiscan ECU and generic compatible OBD dongle(or another scan tool which allows you to change the PROCSI in the BCM.
B.) WiTech 2.0(FCA scan tool) which is currently the only way to unlock the head unit for Android Auto/CarPlay use.

While using this method we will write the procsi to all modules using the WiTech which will be much easier than changing adapters with the Multiscan program. The BCM procsi can be written(with Multiscan) and radio and USB hub installed in vehicle, then driven to a friendly dealer(any FCA dealer should do) with access to WiTech 2.0 for the radio activation and module procsi write.

1.) Using Multiecuscan, select the vehicle, go to body and select CAN Setup / Procsi(or Proxi) alignment.
View attachment 91880

2.) Click adjustments on the top tab selctor and acknowledge the warning. Press CNTRL-ALT-C to bring up the PROCSI table.
View attachment 91881

3.) Change byte 157 to 31. Change byte 161 to 03. Change byte 163 to 1A. Change byte 174 to 02. Change 115 to 15.
View attachment 91882

4.) Hit OK, then hit execute. Click through any warnings and make sure system confirmed successful write to the BCM(should be the first module it writes to). After which it will attempt to write mode modules which you can continue if you'd like(using different CAN interface adapters Blue and Grey). All modules may not write successfully especially in loaded USDM cars. This is why I recommend crashing out of the program when it asks for the Blue Adapter then connecting to WiTech 2, which must be used regardless. It is critical that the body control module have the updated PROCSI before continuing. The vehicle can be driven at this time, however since the PROCSI values do not match, the odometer will blink.
View attachment 91883

5.) Using WiTech, perform a procsi realignment under the BCM. This takes the procsi just written to the BCM and applies it to all other modules. As prompted make sure the radio is ON. Do not run restore vehicle configuration as this will restore all PROCSI settings back to factory specification.
View attachment 91884

6.) After the PROCSI is finished, clear codes and go to the ETM module - miscellaneous functions. Click on CarPlay - Option offline activation.
View attachment 91885

7.) Perform the process and make sure the system is set to ON.
View attachment 91886

8.)Turn off the vehicle and remove Witech 2 Pod Dongle. Lock doors. Allow vehicle to set for five minutes. This will allow radio to power down and allow for AA/CarPlay to work when radio powers back up. Reconnect Witech and if the vehicle has Sirius/XM perform SDARS synch under ETM.
View attachment 91887

9.) If ABS warnings are present after this procedure, go into ABS Miscellaneous functions and run Control Unit Reprogramming. Follow the process closely, clear codes from all modules and check for AA/CarPlay operation.

Hopefully this is a help and allows some enhanced functionality to older vehicles. Let me know if I missed anything and I will answer any questions when I can!
Our 17, has navigation, q4, parking sensors, no front camera. Is there anything else to consider in the decision making process that will affect which radio has to be purchased? With the info provided, which part number radio has to be purchased?

·
Vendor
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
My car was built in December 2016, registered in 2018, so "technically" it's a 2016.

My software was always 056.xxx.xxx

How this all started for me was they did a software update and it screwed up the voice commands, as they knew me well and my contacts, they generously offered to replace the whole unit at a cost of around $7,000 (to them and not me as it was their fault) as they could not roll back the software.

I used this opportunity to try to get the ACP into my baby, then went down the rabbit hole.

I spoke on PM with @MacGeek and he was very helpful, his info below if interested, but the long and the short of it all was that it was too risky for me to do. If someone else has pulled it off, I am ALL EARS! Hence why I am here, would LOVE to have this feature so any info I can pass on that may be off assistance I will:

"
Yes, the ETM module is the brain of the screen. The screen in the dash is just that, a screen, and it connects to the head unit (ETM) that is under the dash in the footwell area via a LVDS cable.

As for the feasibility of the change, you need the new ETM, the new USB/Aux module (inside the armrest storage compartment), and most importantly the feature needs to be enabled in software.

As for the ETM, codes are the following:
P/N 50553593 is the one currently in production.
P/N 50560294 will be adopted in production from late September. I don't know what the difference from the current one is.

The new USB/Aux module has P/N 156138299.

Now for the hardest part, the software unlock. All current production Giulias have ACP/AA capable ETMs, but in most markets ACP/AA is offered as a paid option. Therefore, the feature is only exposed when the Body Computer "Vehicle Configuration" file (aka PROXI) contains the appropriate option code.

For reference, the official procedure to enable ACP/AA on early MY18 "pre-wired" NAFTA cars requires the dealer to connect the wiTECH tool, connect to FCA servers, add the option codes to the Body Computer, and then, also using wiTECH, activate the feature in the ETM.

I have no certainty about whether this file can be suitably modified on an older car. If at all possible, it would likely require a 3rd party diagnostic tool, like Accinni's Leonardo or Multiecuscan."

-----------

"The part numbers I gave you are for Australia.

In any case, the electronic architecture itself does not differ between NAFTA and EMEA/APAC/LATAM (cabling obviously does differ between LHD and RHD).

Based on my knowledge, I do not see the newer head unit creating other electrical issues in the car.

What remains unknown is whether they'll be able to activate the feature. The wiTECH tool downloads from FCA's server a VIN-specific Vehicle Configuration file, containing all the equipment and configuration codes present on the specific car. This makes me suspect that, until a 3rd party such as Accinni or Multiecuscan manages to figure out exactly what needs to be tweaked and how, direct FCA involvement would be needed to add the relevant codes to your file and make enabling ACP/AA feasible.

In a nutshell, I don't see the new head unit creating other issues, but I don't know whether the swap will actually allow you to get ACP/AA, due to that software caveat."
Thread mine, I know, but did they change your hub to the dual USB when they changed your ETM?

·
Registered
6 Posts
[QUOTE = "stocki, post: 796961, membro: 20730"]
Questo è quello che ho fatto (procedura di attivazione, prima di modificare i byte) - nel lontano 2018, prima che le persone iniziassero a "ricercare".

Esiste un metodo noto per eseguire il "ripristino completo" dell'ETM, in modo da poter provare di nuovo l'attivazione?
[/CITAZIONE]

Qualcuno è riuscito a risolvere questo tipo di problema?

Grazie mille

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
[QUOTE = "stocki, post: 796961, membro: 20730"]
Questo è quello che ho fatto (procedura di attivazione, prima di modificare i byte) - nel lontano 2018, prima che le persone iniziassero a "ricercare".

Esiste un metodo noto per eseguire il "ripristino completo" dell'ETM, in modo da poter provare di nuovo l'attivazione?
[/CITAZIONE]

Qualcuno è riuscito a risolvere questo tipo di problema?

Grazie mille
If my translation app is correct, you are trying to see if anyone has been able to unlock a previously locked ETM? I haven't heard anything, but would second the question. Perhaps if anyone knows anyone in the head unit repair arena?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Recently had the radio unit in my quad replaced under warranty at the dealer. They wouldn't mess with the Carplay setup so I don't know if they enabled the feature in WiTech.
Can anyone recommend a place other than the dealerships in the SoCal area that could finish the setup?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you got 2nd gen unit (sometimes on warranty, to old cars they put 1st gen), and if they tried to enable the future, it will be locked and it is super hard to unlock. If you got 2nd gen radio (check software rev in menu) first your USB hub needs to be replaced to compatible part number with AA/ACP then proxi hand modified, and only then you can enable it in dealership.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My software version is now 090.000.061 so I’m assuming I got the newer radio unit. Before I have the duel USB replaced I first wanted to see if CarPlay is locked. Didn’t want to hassle with dealer for that. Looking for options.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yes you did got 2nd gen - sometimes people on warranty claims got 1st gen refurbished (there were plenty of 1st gen HU replaced on warranty due to early firmware issues). no way to see yourself (or at all, at least with tools I know) if the radio was locked or not already. way is you change hub, modifiy proxi, then go to friendly dealer on Witech2 to do activation in ETM - one chance really (unless you have factory tools, nearly nobody has). only by success or fail you know if headunit was attempted to activate AA/ACP without preparation or not.
One more, there is a lot of misleading information about hub - it needs to be part number compatible with AA/ACP - some people say dual - that is not true - it may be single it may be dual, as long as compatible with AA/ACP. Problem hubs are not easy to buy - for 9 months I managed to buy 1 pcs from FCA asking every a few weeks for availability. Two customers came with 2nd hand from crashed cars, and I have one 2nd hand currently in stock - nearly like holy graal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I heard that it is possible but you need engineering tools and proper interface - I got info one can buy pirate versions from China of such, aside of illegal not cheap - order of EUR1000 + interface around 500.

181 - 200 of 244 Posts