Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The QV is my first non truly automatic transmission.

I know that it's bad for the transmission to inch forward if the car is stopped, but what about when the car is already in motion?

I ask because my commute is such that I am at a steady 5-10 mph for certain portions, and I want to know if it's bad for the transmission to lightly feather the throttle to maintain that constant 5mph or if I should be stopping the car, building up a gap, and then giving more throttle.

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
ZF8 is a torque converter transmission so it's totally fine to creep in traffic. Dual-clutch transmissions, which you may be thinking of, are not good for creeping in traffic.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it matters one iota. Today's transmissions are so solidly built and well-engineered, that they take "stop-and-crawl" into the engineering calculations. I think this should drop from your list of worries. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about DCT, I was assuming the ZF8 was similar. It's good to know that it's not and creeping is ok

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Why are you calling it a "non truly automatic transmission"? It is a torque converter automatic. As such, it does not mind creeping, unlike an automated manual or a twin clutch transmission.
Yeah it has 95% of the advantages of semi-auto’s with none of the disadvantages while retaining all the advantages of an auto. There’s a reason this transmission is in so many cars, including the Dodge Demon...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts