Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah nuts! The ZF-8HP is a torque converter automatic. I guess the Ferrari F1 is still proprietary but I think Ford has a robotic manual as do many others. Don't really care too much as long as it works. Hopefully it's life is a bit better than an F1 clutch.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The latest variant of the 8HP in the new Quadrifoglio is perfection. It is interesting to see the vloggers and journalists throw stones at Alfa Romeo because the manual trans was nixxed.

The upshifts AND downshifts of the 8HP are millisecond fast. The software and electromechanical controls of the shifts are astoundingly accurate (cannot say this of GM's 10 speed).

If a person drove the Quad without knowing the automatic transmission configuration and asked after driving:

"Do you think this transmission has a torque converter?"

The answer would always be "no". There is no sense of any viscous coupling whatsoever. It is frankly, mind blowing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I prefer torque converters and the Giulia incarnation is really good. I've never got on with DCT on the road, the only place I don't mind it is on the track. It is one of the things that persuaded me to order a Giulia.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic! I just did some research and studying up on the systems. I was surprised how much "computational fluid dynamics" may have gone into modern automatics! It's like little jet engines or hydroelectric turbines in your drive train. ;) All the videos I've seen of the car seem rock solid too. Banging through the gears like an F1. The robot in the F1 is electro-hydraulic but the clutch is still mechanical. The shifter on the ZF is electro-mechanical?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts