Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurred to me that my Land Rover LR4 and Giulia Quadrifoglio have an important component in common - the 8 speed ZF transmission.

It is smooth in both vehicles but the immediacy of shifts (especially downshifts) is very different in QV. I would never confuse the ZF in LR4 to be a dual clutch, but in QV it most definitely feels and shifts almost like a dual clutch. Alfa (or ZF) has done a really great job of tuning the software for this 8 speed transmission.

A bit strange/surprising that two vehicles so different in every way have the same transmission.

Other things the LR4 and QV have in common...
(i) Both vehicles are from brands with dubious perceived reliability
(ii) I love both of them

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had the ZF tranny in my 2017 Jaguar XE R and notice the shifting feel and patterns to be much better in my Giulia Ti.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of these lives in our Jeep Grand Cherokee too. Brilliant design to be able to get sports car performance in one version and haul a 3 ton trailer full of paver stones with another.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
+1 at what @chaiguy said....
this is the first auto I have had in along time and was so impressed by it that I did some research...my wife's MY16 340xdrive w/M-Sport has the same ZF8 gearbox and the car shifts really well especially in Sport+ mode....that said...these ZF8's are similar in name only. there are different "versions/models" for lack of a better phrase on my part that makes them all different and shift differently. Overall however it would seem that the ZF8 is whatever version you have does the trick pretty **** well

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right - from the Wiki page that @chaiguy provided Alfa Romeo has the 2nd Generation 8HP75 whereas my LR4 has 8HP70.
Perhaps 2nd Generation is the key here for the way it performs in Alfa.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Agreed all the way. The agility of the car is seriously enhanced with the level of connection between the motor and the transmission. Long sweeping turns and the ability to downshift 2 gears instantaneously can cause unbelievable power-on power-slide fun!

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Me too, and there is a lot to be said for software when it comes to "shifting action." The Challenge Stradale TCU added to my 360 Spider makes a huge difference. I am sure, that even the basic software profiles between luxury and sport modes, let alone overall car philosophies has a big impact. But of course, for the transmission to handle higher torque loads and so on that we see in the Quad, the hardware has to be involved as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts