186 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Well, it's not bad, but it's really just derivative and ultimately unmemorable.

As mentioned, basic elements of the ad-- street level, out-front view overlaid with exhaust sounds-- are rip-offs from the LeLouch film C'était un Rendez-vous, one of the greatest car-centric films ever. But also, the reverse-psychology thing of "you don't need this car" is pretty played out, too; Patagonia did it most successfully recently with its "don't buy this jacket" campaign in '11. I vaguely remember some fast food joint doing the reverse psych thing, too.

When you talk about great creative and the best car ads of all time, all contenders must be considered against the Citroen CX ad with Grace Jones in the mid '80s:

https://youtu.be/TKNMTAAAUbE

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I bet that sold a lot of cars - to grace jones fans.
She was big in those days! She was in Conan the Destroyer, James Bond A View to a Kill, plus the music...she’s probably still big in Europe!!

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yep. Rendez-vous. Famous. IIRC it was a Mercedes sports car but with the soundtrack from a Ferrari 12 cylinder 250 something or 275 I think. Great film and even better that it was a covert Ferrari soundtrack too. That says A LOT about what we love in cars and again why the V6 Quad with its special timing and its "ba-dup, ba-dup, ba-dup" delayed firing order sequence is so awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^^ it is a famous movie, apparently it got movie maker also in trouble initially...if you watch it carefully you will notice it is not going fast at all, passing 2CVs and Dauphines maybe 5mph faster lol, but he does run numerous red lights....

And yes it was done with MB with Ferrari 275GTB soundtrack added which is again sometimes hillarious if you watch closely

That big bang firing order has been used in motorcycles for ages for different reasons...big bang engines have more torque and also put lots less stress on motorcycle tires when accelerating hard...thats why even inline 4s in Yamaha and before it Kawasaki went big bang configuration from the screamer (even firing order) while V4s were already all big bang (Ducati and Honda).....that throaty tractorlike sound of big bang engine is very appealing to me too even though screamers can sound fantastic as well with more cylinders

1 - 20 of 27 Posts