Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Destroyed my key fob, and still drove the Giulia. :eek:/

So as I'm leaving work, I, for some reason, had my key in hand. I left it on the roof to show a coworker where someone made a nice gash in the FR of the front bumper... and forgot my key on the roof. I started the car, and drove off. I get to the house (25 miles away), put the car in park, got the mail, and when I put it back in drive, the dash says FOB not in vehicle. I looked around, and didn't find it... then remembered I'd left it on the roof at work.
I call the office up, and see if anyone can see them in the parking lot, which of course they don't.
I wait for the wife to get home, grab her fob, then jet back to work. I ended up finding my keys all tore up on the on ramp to I-35. No Giulia FOB though. :crying:

Sooooo... Is this a $580 dealership lesson, would this be a bumper to bumper extended warranty / OEM regular issue, or can one of the eBay "used" FOBs be reprogrammed to work with the car?
FWIW, I haven't found a "key dance" online for the Giulia.

Is it normal for the car to drive 25 miles without the key in the car? I was always under the impression that the car would eventually shut down, and perhaps think the car have been stolen.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's normal like it or not. Other cars do this too: I let my neighbor try out my 991 with comfort access. I got out and left it running, he jumped in but I had the key in my pocket. One stall with the clutch pedal and it would have been all over for him (and he didn't have his cell phone either). I went sprinting all over the neighborhood looking for him only to find he brought the car back still running without a problem. There's a warning on the dash that you don't have the key however...must not have seen that.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I agree with @QtrItalian. Perfectly normal. I think some cars even give you a warning and 30 second-1 minute grace period to restart the car if you’ve stopped the engine without the key in the car. But is that an electric shaver in your car? Are you shaving in there...ewww....I’m not sure that’s normal :wink2:

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is an issue for nearly every car with a "smart key" and is not unique to Alfa Romeo. Now you've learned your lesson. The rest of the answers are in the owner's manual.

Request For Additional Keys

The system can recognize up to eight key fobs with remote control.

To guarantee that the engine starts and the vehicle operates correctly, use only electronic key fobs specifically coded for the vehicle’s electronics.

If an electronic key fob is coded for a vehicle, it cannot be used on any other vehicle.

Duplicating Keys

If you need a replacement key fob, go to an authorized dealer.
Ignition System Operation
Note:
With the keyless ignition in the ON position: if 30 minutes pass with the gear selector in P (Park) and the engine stopped, the keyless ignition will automatically reset to the STOP position.

With the engine started, it is possible to remove the key fob from the vehicle. The engine will remain running and the instrument cluster will indicate the absence of the key fob when the door is closed.
Engine Immobilizer Operation
Note:
All keys provided with the vehicle have been programmed in accordance with the electronics on the vehicle itself.

Each key has its own code which must be stored by the system's control unit. Contact an authorized dealer to have new keys (up to eight) stored with a code.
Stopping The Engine
Note:
With the keyless ignition system, it is possible to go away from the vehicle taking the key fob with you, without the engine switching off. The vehicle will inform about the absence of the key on board, only if the doors are closed.

Stopping the engine (cycling from the ON to the STOP position) the accessories are still powered for about three minutes, or until a door is opened.

When the ignition is in the STOP/OFF mode, the window switches remain active for three minutes. Opening a front door will cancel this function.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I got an alarm

Our QV was running but in P and my husband got out of the car with the keys, I sat there listening to the annoying alarm that car was running and Fob was not detected in the vehicle

I guess i would think the alarm that the FOB was not present would have gone off. I will have to try it going a block from my house to see if the alarm goes off in drive as it does in Park

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,249 Posts
I wouldn't want the car to shut down while moving if the FOB runs out of battery or something else happens to it.

If the car is not in motion, in 'Park' and the FOB is out of range/not working, it should not allow you to switch to Reverse/Drive. IMHO

·
Registered
253 Posts
Funny story, I recently had an opportunity to drive a huracan around for a couple of days, and one night I took it out and after I had pulled off, the dash said the key wasn't present in the car, even though it was clearly in my pocket. So as I was driving, there was just a constant message saying key fob not present, accommodated by a counter that was counting down from 20,000 miles, meaning I was only allowed to go 20,000 miles without the fob in the car haha! Next time I restarted the car, the message went away and it was recognizing the key again. Just thought that was really funny and interesting in a somewhat related way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the warranty covers manufacturers defects, and dropping it in water... but not running it over. :eek:/
However, the dealer only charges $240 for the FOB and programming, which I found quite nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.