Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Parting with $14k makes it a little challenging for me LOL

But yes ... I would love to. I need to do a racing school at some point as I am getting more and more interested in possible trackdays in the future and living so close to the beautiful Club Motorsports track here

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just go to BMW Performance Center. They offer several different programs for different price points. Or do the Porsche Experience Center if you don’t want to make such a big commitment but still want to have fun. You’ll be old and feeble before Alfa ever offers anything approaching those two. That is even if Alfa can survive more than a few years in the USA.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been club racing with Porsche since 2009, but it would have been nice to get several Alfas on the track...... maybe we’ll organize something this season at an eastern track.....

Reactions: TiSpdDmn

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Challenege Series

that driving school by Ferrari is more for those who are considering running a car in the Challenge Series.....I believe you get licensed to drive after successful completion of the school...
as far as the M school, you can now do that at Monticello Motor Club as BMW is the official sponsor...
When I purchased my E39 M5 back in 2000 the 2 day school was included in the pricing of the car IF you wanted to do it...>:)
Needless to say I did, took my oldest down with me...Donnie Isley was our instructor...the original "Mr. Drift".

I don't see Alfa doing something like this unfortunately, though I would def. sign up..

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Parting with $14k makes it a little challenging for me LOL

But yes ... I would love to. I need to do a racing school at some point as I am getting more and more interested in possible trackdays in the future and living so close to the beautiful Club Motorsports track here
@Max you don't need to do a "racing program"...Chin Motorsport, Hooked On Driving, even BMWCCA HPDE are a great & economical way to learn how to drive your car in a safe & fast manner...you learn great car control....a racing school like Skip Barber or Bondurant are $$$$ though if your intention is to start racing you will at some point need to do a sanctioned school to get your race license.
G/L
M

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max MDriver is correct you don't need an expensive racing program, just sign up for the next April Lime Rock event which I am sure will have several Giulias attending.....

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
SRT does a Bobdurant school in AZ that is covered with the cost of buying the vehicle, why not Alfa?
Amen to that.

Didn't Abarth owners also receive an educational opportunity?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
geez, I had to make do with a book I bought when I was supposed to be thinking about what college to go to
Driving in Competition, Alan Johnson, 1971

it said to dump my tr-3 wire wheels and get steel ones, easier to straighten.
by the time I made it to a track I figured out cars were too expensive for me to go fast in.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
These days gaming systems seem to be a training ground, and I am hopeless at them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
These days gaming systems seem to be a training ground, and I am hopeless at them.
I have seen the same. Doesn't Nissan even do a gamer to racer program? Despite club racing (on and off) since 06, I am still awful at driving games. I guess I am not millennial enough.

-KJ

·
Registered
765 Posts
When I had my Lotus Elise, the dealer organized quite a few track days. This might be a better approach and easier to organize then rolling something out nationally. That being said, schools like Jim Russell or Bob Bondurant are better. I did a Jim Russell course at Mont Tremblant outside Montreal. Great course and instruction.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There is a lot I wish they did, but at the end of they day I think they are just concentrating on the sales and getting things off the ground. I hope in the future they will think of programs like this, and european delivery, etc.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
There is a lot I wish they did, but at the end of they day I think they are just concentrating on the sales and getting things off the ground. I hope in the future they will think of programs like this, and european delivery, etc.
Maybe then we "founders" will receive special attention.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Maybe then we "founders" will receive special attention.
haha If I know Italians then no :grin2::grin2::grin2:

In an italian accent waving hands *Why you want more you have car si?*

·
Registered
202 Posts
I see that some of you are in New England where we have a great driving school resource at a bargain price. It is the COM Sports Car Club. Started as Corvettes of Massachusetts about 50 years ago it is still going strong with events at Thompson, Palmer, and New Hampshire International Speedway. In addition to excellent instruction they also have a time trial championship series. It is all volunteer and has been a feeder for SCCA Club Racing for years. Check it out.

http://www.comscc.org/

Reactions: Max and MDriver

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I used to consider the video games as totally unrelated to reality.
as they got more specific and realistic, I thought they would have been a handy tool for learning a new track.
as electronics on cars (and motorcycles) have become more sophisticated with ABS, traction control, yaw control, maybe traditional skills are becoming more irrelevant.

brake feel/steering feel, etc are fading with use of electronics, heck, steel toed workboots and boxing gloves can work if the computer is figuring out which tire is slipping, why, and what to do about it.

some bikes have "wheelie control", which I guess (along with all the other stuff) replaces the basic concept of the "the throttle goes both ways".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts