Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Would you park on the street?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my biggest concern when I ordered my AR was and still today is street parking.

I live in a relatively good apartment complex (I believe it's called condominium when you purchase the apartments?) but across the street is rental apartments on one side, student apartments and also a pretty popular pizza place on the other side, so a lot of car and people come and go.
We do have a few garage spaces but all are full, and I believe there is a 2-3 year waiting period for a spot to open.

I am looking to buy another apartment in a calmer area or even a house with a garage, but that could take a long time and renting is not possible as it is probably 2-3 years of waiting period and a crazy monthly cost if you want a half decent area.

For this reason I chose the Vulcano Black, as I didn't want it to stick out too much and also I thought black would probably be easier to match and get fixed compared to red or blue.

Is anyone parking on the street at nights?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,158 Posts
I would not park a Giulia near student apartments or a Pizza parlor (can you say drunk drivers?) unless the value of the car was a don't care relative to my earnings.

I mean, somebody drove a Porsche 918 to the Pizza parlor near my house and parked it on the street.

FWIW: I would not park anything in San Francisco unless I could afford the time and money to replace the broken windows that are at "epidemic" levels.

Beyond that I think your question is too specific to the situation to be answerable.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Only you know your local culture. Car vandalism by strangers is pretty rare in the US, but maybe its a European thing. When I lived in NYC I would not have parked it on the street, but that's only because I would have had to get up in the very early morning every other day and move it to the other side of the street, lol.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Luckily I have a garage. I don't even like parking lots as we all know the problems with them. Forget about Valet Parking. I was a Valet back in the 70's and 80's and know what happens to your car. A ten spot works wonders at a restaurant or catering hall that has valet parking.

·
Registered
189 Posts
u worry too much, you already got the car, and u live there now, so just enjoy it with a smile

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Is your insurance premium higher without a garage?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have a parking spot on a lot between student complexes. So far they've been respectful of the car, but I can't wait to have a garage.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My Miata spent the first 6 years of it's life on the street. Now it was a side street/driveway with angled spots but in the busy neighborhood of the Fenway (Fenway Park). I got a cover for it and made sure my resident permit was always visible through a port in the cover or on an added tag. I started a trend. A guy in a condo a couple doors down got an Audi TT. We talked about parking. He got a cover too. Now spring sweeping is always a pain. I forgot one year and had to take the Green Line out to Brrighton to bail it out of the lot. $200. It got tapped by a landscaping truck on the rear bumper that creased the character line just below the rear plate pocket also. Chipped some paint but otherwise survived very well. 6 years later when I moved to Hyde Park, I still got compliments on the paint. Emerald Mica metallic, like Rosso comp and others... A cover will help save the paint, interior and plastics, especially a convertible top! Good luck, try not to worry and press on.

Reactions: Prez

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Parking here is always an issue. We own a house, but have only one off-street parking, and that's not even covered. We own four street legal cars, so they kind of get rotated with the one off-street spot. My work truck is not part of the rotation, so that leaves three. We are building a garage and finally, have been able to park the 4C indoors (after three years of ownership) for a few months now. The garage is not yet finished so I can't bring in other cars yet.

So, yes, our Giulia Ti Q2 (Lusso) gets parked on the street a lot. As does my Alfa Romeo 4C. This is not an apartment setting, but cannot always park near the house. My truck has been brushed up against a few times. The driver side mirror gets broken from time to time. But in all fairness, the truck is huge and the mirrors stick out quite a bit. I can't tell that the Giulia has ever been tapped, but my 4C has been once or twice. In all fairness, these taps could have happened at a shopping mall.

The good news on our part is that soon enough both Alfas will be indoors. My wife's Fiat 500 will have exclusive off-street parking and I don't really care about my ugly old truck. The truck has the contagious kind of ugly. "You hit my truck? LOL Now your car is ugly too!"

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Didn't read through the thread, but if you have to park on the street, they make bumper guards that you can use when parked. Plus, look into front and rear dashcams with parking mode, and hardwire them for your peace of mind.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Didn't read through the thread, but if you have to park on the street, they make bumper guards that you can use when parked. Plus, look into front and rear dashcams with parking mode, and hardwire them for your peace of mind.
Try these bumper guards. And they come in different colors. Especially useful when you are docking your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Try these bumper guards. And they come in different colors. Especially useful when you are docking your car.
Suggestions about how to attach them appreciated. My Giulia lacks a yacht's cleats and such.

I wonder whether there is correlation between drinking beverages other than water in one's Giullia and parking it on the street.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Suggestions about how to attach them appreciated. My Giulia lacks a yacht's cleats and such.

I wonder whether there is correlation between drinking beverages other than water in one's Giullia and parking it on the street.
Easy. Close the windows, hood or boot on the lines. It would be a laugh to see a parked car with these.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Lmao, come to Boston or NYC and look at the average bumpers on a car ... Maybe the Swiss are more courteous in this regard. I don't park on the street, but I don't blame those people who at least attempt to keep their cars looking nice ... Bumper Bully is more what I was thinking

·
Registered
106 Posts
We live in DC and have parked on the street since we drove home from the dealership nine months ago. We have not had issues with bumper scratches or dings.

People seem very careful around the car to the point of bump pushing the car in front of them to not get close to ours. People occasionally get close enough to the car to where I am poised to hop over the back of the couch, fly out the door and get'em! So far they stop just in time...

We do make sure nothing is ever left visible in the car. You're asking for a smashed window then.

For the most part people walk by and admire the car, take pics, and basically drool :) I guess the only negative I have with street parking is trying to find parking for street cleaning mornings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had far more expensive cars to date and found I was driving myself crazy with worry about where and how I parked them..I decided years ago to treat all my cars like they were just transportation and it has helped me release the worry and live with less stress. I also changed my insurance to no deductible at some extra cost but no worries now. As beautiful and nice as it is ...it is just a car after all... sorry.. sacrilege..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I feel a lot better about it now and very funny with the bumper guards :grin2:

if you do i'd get a decent camera system installed for peace of mind
I don't believe it's legal to install camera systems in Sweden that record public areas without permission and dash cameras are illegal as well, but I'm considering getting one anyways 0:)

Is your insurance premium higher without a garage?
Yes it will be a little higher, but my problem is there is no garage available. I even spoke with the owners of a nearby house, whom never use their garage, if I could rent it but they said no, they use it as storage.

I have had far more expensive cars to date and found I was driving myself crazy with worry about where and how I parked them..I decided years ago to treat all my cars like they were just transportation and it has helped me release the worry and live with less stress. I also changed my insurance to no deductible at some extra cost but no worries now. As beautiful and nice as it is ...it is just a car after all... sorry.. sacrilege..
Indeed, I'm going to try and look at it like that, it's just a car after all.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Yes it will be a little higher, but my problem is there is no garage available. I even spoke with the owners of a nearby house, whom never use their garage, if I could rent it but they said no, they use it as storage.
The prestige of having a Giulia in their garage didn't sway them? :laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts