Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those with functioning apple car play: Has anyone figured out how to control the two rocker switch icons (one a 4 way 'directional' switch, the other a 2 way switch with +/- labels) on the bottom right of the Maps screen?

I'm concerned that these may be artifacts we can't access due to lack of touch screen. Has anyone been able to figure out if any of the physical controls can activate these icons?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You rotate the main jog clockwise and click on the + or - or the 4 way directional and when the view changes you can continue to rotate clockwise to cycle through all of the control directions. It works on mine if not the most intuitive thing in the world...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply @JerryNY. Not sure I understand, but I'm flying home shortly and will try this when I get back in my car to drive home.

·
Registered
459 Posts
for those with functioning apple car play: Has anyone figured out how to control the two rocker switch icons (one a 4 way 'directional' switch, the other a 2 way switch with +/- labels) on the bottom right of the Maps screen?

I'm concerned that these may be artifacts we can't access due to lack of touch screen. Has anyone been able to figure out if any of the physical controls can activate these icons?

Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
While I am waiting for my Giulia TI to arrive from the Port of Baltimore, have some questions about Apple Car Play. Was going to get the shortest Lightning connector (0.5m) to connect and charge the phone or should I get a longer one? Do I need to pick-up the phone to access some features or is everything accessible through the vehicle interface? Also,could the use of Apple Car Play add to data usage on the phone resulting in additional charges? (Currently don't have unlimited data on my plan...) Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
While I am waiting for my Giulia TI to arrive from the Port of Baltimore, have some questions about Apple Car Play. Was going to get the shortest Lightning connector (0.5m) to connect and charge the phone or should I get a longer one? Do I need to pick-up the phone to access some features or is everything accessible through the vehicle interface? Also,could the use of Apple Car Play add to data usage on the phone resulting in additional charges? (Currently don't have unlimited data on my plan...) Thanks to all!
I’ll start by saying I don’t have CarPlay, but think I can answer anyway. Short cable should be fine, you should not have to touch your phone (that’s the purpose/advantage of CarPlay), and yes, you will definitely use data, especially for things like a Nav. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the USB ports inside then center console deliver more charge than the one over the cup holders, so if you’re running battery draining apps like Nav., center console USB is best for also maintaining your phone charge.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks much, wingler. That makes sense. I am currently using an iPod in my other car for music but have downloaded all the music into my iPhone to play in the Alfa. I don't think that would use data as it is just music from my iTunes library...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got a 6" lightning cable on Amazon and placed in the console. My iPhone X fits great. If you use Waze it will auto start and run constantly so that could be a problem.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I got a 6" lightning cable on Amazon and placed in the console. My iPhone X fits great. If you use Waze it will auto start and run constantly so that could be a problem.
Hmm, I don’t think Waze auto-starts when I plug in...in fact, I’m almost positive it doesn’t, because I’m often clicking the control dial more than once trying to get the system to recognize the input. If yours does, probably there is a setting, then, to control that.

But yeah, someone who doesn’t have unlimited data will want to take a close look at how their phone settings when using CarPlay. There are behavior options all over the iPhone, it seems, so I’m not exactly sure of what’s what.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,405 Posts
If Waze is open on an iPhone before plugging in then it will Auto launch it in carplay. Otherwise you have to open it. You can either use the dial to select the app or open it on the iPhone once plugged in, though that feature will go away in iOS 13

·
Registered
109 Posts
If Waze is open on an iPhone before plugging in then it will Auto launch it in carplay. Otherwise you have to open it. You can either use the dial to select the app or open it on the iPhone once plugged in, though that feature will go away in iOS 13
I have iOS 12. Haven't changed any settings. Waze launches on the phone when plugged in and carplay is started. The only change is waze is added to the carplay app.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I have iOS 12. Haven't changed any settings. Waze launches on the phone when plugged in and carplay is started. The only change is waze is added to the carplay app.
I’m on 12.3.1, but I don’t think that’s the issue, because I don’t recall the behavior being different, and it was released in September 2018, before I got my car.

My Waze does not launch on the phone when plugged in, I just confirmed that.

I don’t understand exactly what you mean with “the only change is Waze is added to the CarPlay app,” because if it autolaunches, when is it not there? In CarPlay settings on the phone, you can add/remove compatible apps from the screen, and rearrange how they appear on it.

In any case, it sounds like a settings issue if Waze is autolaunching; you should be able to control that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’m on 12.3.1, but I don’t think that’s the issue, because I don’t recall the behavior being different, and it was released in September 2018, before I got my car.

My Waze does not launch on the phone when plugged in, I just confirmed that.

I don’t understand exactly what you mean with “the only change is Waze is added to the CarPlay app,” because if it autolaunches, when is it not there? In CarPlay settings on the phone, you can add/remove compatible apps from the screen, and rearrange how they appear on it.

In any case, it sounds like a settings issue if Waze is autolaunching; you should be able to control that.
Ok had a chance to test. Waze doesn't start when plugged in. It's once you touch it in carplay that it doesn't shut down. I always have to do that manually.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Ok had a chance to test. Waze doesn't start when plugged in. It's once you touch it in carplay that it doesn't shut down. I always have to do that manually.
Yeah, “what happens in Carplay, does not stay in CarPlay!” I think that’s normal operation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts