Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is planning to go to the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise in Detroit Michigan on August 18th? I'm seriously thinking about a road trip to Michigan to check it out.:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
While I wholeheartedly encourage you to attend, this will be one of those years when travel beckons. Instead of a five-minute walk, I will be about nine thousand miles away. I can't think of a better mix of automotive variety, quantity, and quality than the Dream Cruise. Hopefully Alfas will be better-represented than in years past. I'd love to hear of someone running their QV on Woodward a week earlier at Roadkill Nights.

Reactions: Encswsm and Bender

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like fun except it's in ..............Michigan. I spent the first 21 years of my life 2 miles from Woodward and Lasher Rd. I was 16 and many of my friends had fast new muscle cars. Before we were old enough to drive, in '62, my buddy and I would hang out on the grass island between the lanes on warm summer nights watching the drag racing. If you aren't aware, Woodward is an 8 lane highway separated by a wide grass median from Birmingham to Pontiac. One evening, while eating Hostess Twinkies, and swilling orange sodas we heard a rumble coming from the south. It was the Highwayman motorcycle club, in full force. Four lanes of chopped motorcycles, thunderous noise of open pipe Harleys and and clouds of blue smoke that stretched down Woodward for as far as we could see. They paid no attention to the light turning red at Lasher and it seemed like an eternity for the gang to roll by. That experience cemented my love for motorcycles (even though only one of my 35 bikes was a Harley).

A few years later the same friend used to "borrow" brand new Pontiacs late at night from his father's dealership, Wilson Pontiac Cadillac. This was before the cars were officially unveiled and when new cars actually looked different from each other. One year it was the first GTO, another year it was a tri-power 389 4 speed Pontiac Ventura. They would come back to the night mechanic engines crackling and smoking of production grease. By '69 my friend upgraded himself to a new candy orange 427 AC Cobra. The Ford mechanic stole the car one night while it was getting it's first oil change and taking off towards Birmingham from that same light went airborne on the slight hill at 120mph +. He died and the car looked like an aluminum beer can that had been twisted several times. My friend didn't have much luck with Cobras, he bought the last 427 from the same dealer and they charged him an addition $1000. That car ended up burning down in a gas station after Ted Speedhart did his magic. A six Webber no air cleaners backfire started the blaze and the guy who was taking the car to New York to sell it didn't have the sense to let off the throttle and keep the engine cranking to suck the fire back in the engine.

Back in the '60's we saw every kind of fast car there. One kid's Pontiac executive dad gave him a '63 Pontiac Tempest with a 421 and beefed up trans axle. There were stories about guys who would trailer their drag cars to a side parking lot, unload them and make a few passes during the late evenings. This WAS the motor city and Woodward was where you took your cars to race and pick up chicks on the strip, at Ted's drive in or Mavericks in Birmingham. Virtually all my friend's fathers were connected at the executive level with Ford, GM or Chrysler.

I went back in 1999 after being away for 25 years and everything looked and seemed different. There's truth to the saying "you can never go home again".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I live I Mobile Alabama and was looking to make a summer road trip. One of my Bucket list items is checking out the dream cruise, another is to spend a couple of days checking out the Henry Ford Museum. I'm going to get them both in one shot. I also have a love for Motorcycles and have had Many since I was a teenager. I've got a Harley Ultra Limited now. A sweet riding touring bike.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Spelled Lahser but pronounced "Lasher" by many. Did it once intersect Woodward? I'm still a newbie here by Michigan standards.

The sounds of Woodward lull me to sleep. There's just something about the sound of a V8. The Harley V-twins sound good, too.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Dream Cruise is something to see, that’s for sure. But boy, it get’s packed with cars, and the cool stakes are very high: if it ain’t loud, outrageously powerful, and perfect looking, you won’t get a glance.

I don’t know I have the heart anymore to suffer the traffic, and I don’t know if I’ve got any particular connects, but let me check with a few car guys and see if I can’t find something cool to do. I’ll check with AROC Detroit, for example, and see if anything Alfa specific is going down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Spelled Lahser but pronounced "Lasher" by many. Did it once intersect Woodward? I'm still a newbie here by Michigan standards.

The sounds of Woodward lull me to sleep. There's just something about the sound of a V8. The Harley V-twins sound good, too.
My mistake. It was Long Lake (18 mile) and Woodward.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I plan on going so if any of you are also gonna be there, wave to the Misano Blue Giulia with the LTU license plate frame!

·
Registered
7,799 Posts

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Of course. My buddies cobra was wadded up just south of there. Jimmy Hoffa's last stop too.
So near the Kingsley Inn? Jimmy actually disappeared from the former Machus Red Fox at Telegraph and Maple. There are occasional digs for his remains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts