Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,241 Posts
If the car is in the garage anyway, why not just leave the boot open ??Or just put something over the lock, so it can't close.....
There would be no battery power anyway, as that is the goal of the exercise .... ;)
Critter risk, for one.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Isn't there a red ribbon hidden in the trunk lid that you can pull out and use it to keep the trunk from locking? I'm pretty sure that's a thing
Never heard of that, but all modern cars have a handle to open it from the inside in case someone is trapped.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Isn't there a red ribbon hidden in the trunk lid that you can pull out and use it to keep the trunk from locking? I'm pretty sure that's a thing
Havent heard of that. I do know about the emergency release from the inside but thats about it.

If the car is in the garage anyway, why not just leave the boot open ??Or just put something over the lock, so it can't close.....
There would be no battery power anyway, as that is the goal of the exercise .... ;)
Critter risk, for one.
Yup....critters...and not the cute kind.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Either is fine. I use the under the hood auxiliary posts.
just make sure that if you do connect to the battery, do it in the correct way with respect to IBS sensor, so not directly to the battery posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
You are right. I also enjoy reading the Owners Manual !!!!!!

Manual Trunk Opening Device Proceed as follows if the battery needs to be disconnected: 1. From the trunk interior covering, rotate the plug counterclockwise of the lock and extract the cord connected to it. 2. Make sure the free end of the cord remains outside the trunk when closing the trunk lid, 3. The trunk can now be opened manually by pulling the cord. 4. After releasing the trunk, rewind the strap around the plug, put it back into its housing and turn it clockwise

Motor vehicle Font Screenshot Parallel Door

·
Registered
984 Posts
You are right. I also enjoy reading the Owners Manual !!!!!!

Manual Trunk Opening Device Proceed as follows if the battery needs to be disconnected: 1. From the trunk interior covering, rotate the plug counterclockwise of the lock and extract the cord connected to it. 2. Make sure the free end of the cord remains outside the trunk when closing the trunk lid, 3. The trunk can now be opened manually by pulling the cord. 4. After releasing the trunk, rewind the strap around the plug, put it back into its housing and turn it clockwise

View attachment 132910
Hmm, interesting. But how useful is that when there's already a handle for emergency release? Also, since it's opening from the inside it's useless in hawkeye's situation, as he wants to open an unpowered trunk from the outside.

Honestly I'd just use the connections under the hood. Easier to get to, and no need to worry about being locked out.

Reactions: SirRog

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Other things that I personally did not pay attention when leaving the car in the garage for weeks of vacations:

Check that the electric park brake is not activated.
Sprinkle talcum powder on the windshield wiper rubber blades, and lift them off the glass.
Inflate tires to +7.25 psi above the standard prescribed pressure.
Operate the air conditioning system with engine idling for at least five minutes, setting external air and with fan set to maximum speed

Will this procedure eliminate the CELs when re-stratring the car?. ".... After cycling the ignition to STOP and having closed the driver side door, wait at least one minute before disconnecting the electrical supply from the battery. When reconnecting the electrical supply to the battery, make sure that the ignition is in the STOP position and the driver side door is closed..."

On the other hand, I think that this comment (... If the battery is not disconnected from the electrical system, check its state of charge every thirty days....) suggests that we should not expect any battery problem or any problem on restarting the car within 30 days, if the battery was in good charge condition when the downtime started.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Avnyc11 is right, you unscrew the black knob on the back of the trunk lid, and leave the cord hanging outside. Unlike the mechanical handles on the doors, the trunk handle is electric, it will not open the trunk with a dead battery.

I learnt this the hard way. I would leave my car parked several weeks in the garage cause I was living in between 2 cities due to work. I would disconnect the negative terminal, leave the cord hanging, and close the trunk. Coming back I would pull on the cord, reconnect the battery, start the car in Christmas tree mode, and after a couple restarts, all the dash lights would clear off.

Except one day I forgot to leave the cord out. And if your car was like mine, a 2017 QV with fixed rear seats that don’t fold so you can’t access the trunk from inside the car. It’s also hard to remove the rear seats in a garage with no tools.

Luckily a jump starter found in my glove box, courtesy of Amazon, can be connected to the terminals in the engine bay to energize the electric trunk handle.

I don’t know if this was pure coincidence or if this was thought through and built as a fail-proof mechanism, just like the device to mechanically push the transmission in neutral from under the car to move the car when there’s no power, like with a dead battery or after a car accident.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
654 Posts
I won't be able to drive around for a couple of weeks unfortunately, and was wondering how to make sure the battery stays in good shape.
What have you done with other cars under the same circumstances? There’s nothing different about these cars. You’ve had your perception altered by reading posts from people who had battery problems without understanding that literally thousands of us have not had battery problems. It’s just that there is not a thread dedicated to people saying, “Came out this morning and started my car. It fired right up.”

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
2 Posts
I won't be able to drive around for a couple of weeks unfortunately, and was wondering how to make sure the battery stays in good shape. I can get to the car and start her up etc, but just wont be able to drive around.

Cheers
PS>No one else is allowed to drive my Giulia :), and i don't have a battery tender.
Buy a battery tender. A good investment. They are cheap on Amazon.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What have you done with other cars under the same circumstances? There’s nothing different about these cars. You’ve had your perception altered by reading posts from people who had battery problems without understanding that literally thousands of us have not had battery problems. It’s just that there is not a thread dedicated to people saying, “Came out this morning and started my car. It fired right up.”
First car i've owned with the battery in the trunk..... which i thought needed the battery to be opened.
(And I had the battery replaced a year after I got the car)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts