Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently....fuse is burning out due to a short .... They are working on the wiring harness.....has anyone with a Quad had to deal with this issue ?

D

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Aren't there several TSBs specifying relocating or checking the location of wire cables on the QV, presumably to reduce rub problems? There is also of course the short brake wear sensor wire problem.

It might also be good to remove both front wheels and check the wheel well liners for rub marks. Apparently there is a wire harness immediately behind a spot that the tire runs very close to. Reference Call-me-Al's problems after he lowered his car and installed oversize tires, plus at least one person posting rubbing problems with a bone stock QV.

Anyway, it costs very little to check the wheel wells.

Hopefully nothing as obnoxious as on my 1983 Audi 4000E, which was designed with 30A running through a 5A rated connector, causing the tail lamp assembly to melt, wires to fuse together, etc.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Not yet, but tonight I tried to enjoy a drive after work and was met with the typical phone/usb/bluetooth/Android Auto hassle. I pulled over to address it. My phone was also taking forever to reboot. I pulled the battery, replaced. It would not turn back on. Car was fine. I eventually just kept driving and tried the socket charger instead since I knew it was getting low. Was able to reboot phone, at 65%? Anyway... Couldn't get AA to connect over front main usb. (armrest does not work but lit) Working fine on media over BT. Got home and parked. Went back out to try again over usb. AA on car would flicker try to connect, display google play and my track, then say fail. It's fine on the phone (S5). THEN THE USB LIGHT on my front port on my Quad failed. It's out. Would not come back on after restarting or turning on car. I am afraid the socket failed or it's wiring. I hope like heck that pulling the cable from my phone, with it still plugged into the car usb out of frustration, didn't short it on my briefcase hardware or some other randomness in the passenger seat. My car was just inspected Monday (finally, oops!)

I am pretty bummed now because my ride was spoiled by the stupid data setting hassle you get even when things do work. Then to find the socket looks bad after 4 months and 2000 miles. Really? The car still runs and BT works at least for media but man this is annoying. On a 2018 AA and ACP were supposed to work. And the usb ports too. I guess I will schedule service but we can't seem to escape the dang winter up here.
:(

UPDATE!

False alarm. As I sat here thinking about it, I realized I just downloaded an update for Android Auto a couple days ago. Then I deleted it and downloaded it again just to be sure I had a good install. It dawned on me, "maybe the update requires the larger form factor connector on Android phones?" I have been getting by charging my S5 with the old mini usb cord and have left the larger "double wide" usb cord in the Ferrari hooked to my Panasonic head unit because BT doesn't work on the discount Amazon buy (Why it was discounted)

I said a Hail Mary, crossed myself, (should have also asked for the intercession of St. Elegius (Eloi) of France -Patron saint of goldsmiths, blacksmiths and mechanics) went out and got the cord from Rossina and hopped into La Signora Giulia. Hit the power button and BOOM, front USB light came on (it's smart!!! after another startup) Plugged in the wide cable and phone and BOOMx2! AA works great, with media AND Google Maps. I was getting messages that maps wouldn't work on my phone at the same time before. It was fine in February when I drove to PA.

So here is my understanding: The latest update to Android Auto KILLS the old form factor cable connection and upgrades to permanent wider, newer mini usb connection (phone side) BUT they don't tell you this in a any obvious way. Or I used the newer cord on my trip and just don't remember! This is why it says it can't connect. I was going to get a dedicated cable anyway and will add one for Rossina, both in black because white looks kinda cheesy with both cars electronics.

Now I can sleep and enjoy may day off tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Norbert at Greenwich service (in Stamford) sent me this photo...He seems to think the wire was somehow damaged during manufacturing or install...

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
So Norbert at Greenwich service (in Stamford) sent me this photo...He seems to think the wire was somehow damaged during manufacturing or install...
Well that's not good. But at least the were able to confirm it was the harness. Hope they get you back on the road soon

We

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not yet, but tonight I tried to enjoy a drive after work and was met with the typical phone/usb/bluetooth/Android Auto hassle. I pulled over to address it. My phone was also taking forever to reboot. I pulled the battery, replaced. It would not turn back on. Car was fine. I eventually just kept driving and tried the socket charger instead since I knew it was getting low. Was able to reboot phone, at 65%? Anyway... Couldn't get AA to connect over front main usb. (armrest does not work but lit) Working fine on media over BT. Got home and parked. Went back out to try again over usb. AA on car would flicker try to connect, display google play and my track, then say fail. It's fine on the phone (S5). THEN THE USB LIGHT on my front port on my Quad failed. It's out. Would not come back on after restarting or turning on car. I am afraid the socket failed or it's wiring. I hope like heck that pulling the cable from my phone, with it still plugged into the car usb out of frustration, didn't short it on my briefcase hardware or some other randomness in the passenger seat. My car was just inspected Monday (finally, oops!)

I am pretty bummed now because my ride was spoiled by the stupid data setting hassle you get even when things do work. Then to find the socket looks bad after 4 months and 2000 miles. Really? The car still runs and BT works at least for media but man this is annoying. On a 2018 AA and ACP were supposed to work. And the usb ports too. I guess I will schedule service but we can't seem to escape the dang winter up here.
:(

UPDATE!

False alarm. As I sat here thinking about it, I realized I just downloaded an update for Android Auto a couple days ago. Then I deleted it and downloaded it again just to be sure I had a good install. It dawned on me, "maybe the update requires the larger form factor connector on Android phones?" I have been getting by charging my S5 with the old mini usb cord and have left the larger "double wide" usb cord in the Ferrari hooked to my Panasonic head unit because BT doesn't work on the discount Amazon buy (Why it was discounted)

I said a Hail Mary, crossed myself, (should have also asked for the intercession of St. Elegius (Eloi) of France -Patron saint of goldsmiths, blacksmiths and mechanics) went out and got the cord from Rossina and hopped into La Signora Giulia. Hit the power button and BOOM, front USB light came on (it's smart!!! after another startup) Plugged in the wide cable and phone and BOOMx2! AA works great, with media AND Google Maps. I was getting messages that maps wouldn't work on my phone at the same time before. It was fine in February when I drove to PA.

So here is my understanding: The latest update to Android Auto KILLS the old form factor cable connection and upgrades to permanent wider, newer mini usb connection (phone side) BUT they don't tell you this in a any obvious way. Or I used the newer cord on my trip and just don't remember! This is why it says it can't connect. I was going to get a dedicated cable anyway and will add one for Rossina, both in black because white looks kinda cheesy with both cars electronics.

Now I can sleep and enjoy may day off tomorrow! :D
Just to add my 2 cents. I was having issues with AA, I tried a better USB cable an it started working fine. Avoid cheap cables...

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Where is that?
Snagging insulation while installing wires is always a risk, most harnesses have covers to protect the wires.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
so your waiting for a harness?
Car assembly usually goes something like

1) Sheet metal assembly
2) Seal and paint
3) Install wiring harness
4) Install everything else

That is, at least the main wiring harness gets repaired not replaced.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
This looks almost exactly like my boost harness shorts on the Miata. But they were caused by vibration and shock an bad roads, and wear on the glove box edge and center console edge. Dealer and Local mechanic did not look into it. Boost engineer emailed me from Arizona that the wires I found matched the ecool injectors and no.3 cylinder which was throwing the misfire code. Ah, NO I don't need a new engine (lazy scare-dy cats). I armored my boost harness after I found and patched the shorts.

I hope they can patch your harness.

Also, my old cable may be the problem. It gets coiled up in my briefcase every day and charges fine. The data lines may be cracked. I got 2 new cables today from T mobile. short, black and one for each Italian car. ;) Haven't tested them yet.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Also, at T Mobile, the agent said that the large cables have been discontinued! So it might have just been a bad cable afterall. i guess the newer phones are fast enough to handle all the data over the smaller plug anyway.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Also, at T Mobile, the agent said that the large cables have been discontinued! So it might have just been a bad cable afterall. i guess the newer phones are fast enough to handle all the data over the smaller plug anyway.
I always thought the larger cable on the S5 had something to do with HDMI?

I had (have) an S5 but ugraded to an S8 just before getting my car because the S5 was starting to get "stupid"

And just so you now, they changed connectors again.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm assuming the harness is modular....in sections that is....This segment will be replaced....yesterday was Good Friday for me so I was busy with other things...not able to speak to SA other than exchange emails...need to determine where this wire is / was located....I'll advise....they have a harness within striking distance....may be a few weeks....If the interior needs to be stripped.....:crying:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

I had (have) an S5 but ugraded to an S8 just before getting my car because the S5 was starting to get "stupid"

Thanks Woodstk. I think you are right about HDMI. I was worried about my phone too but checked it about a month ago or so. Agent just said to remember to clear the cash. And when you say they changed the connectors, do you mean back to mini HDMI/USB small plug, like the new cable I got? I have 14 days to return them.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Thanks Woodstk. I think you are right about HDMI. I was worried about my phone too but checked it about a month ago or so. Agent just said to remember to clear the cash. And when you say they changed the connectors, do you mean back to mini HDMI/USB small plug, like the new cable I got? I have 14 days to return them.
New connecter a together. Almost like a cross between a mini HDMI and a micro USB. Can't remember what my son said they were calling it. It does seem to be a more solid connector.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yup, so here is a good chart. Looks like the new USB C is flat with rounded, symmetric ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Yup, so here is a good chart. Looks like the new USB C is flat with rounded, symmetric ends.
I have USB-C on my Moto-Z. It has large pins for power on top off all that, for "turbo" charging. The big downside is that the signal pins are really short so that the connection is not nearly as reliable as with any of the others.

In the extreme case, when plug my IR camera into the phone using an adapter the slightest bump of the phone causes a failure of the connection.

Also, a tiny piece of pocket lint is sufficient to make the whole thing fail.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Alfaholico, I must say I am impressed by your solution to having your Alfa scheduled to be in the shop for an extended time.

early Bentley Continentals had a problem with fires from shorting wiring looms in the front fender area.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
New USB 2 micro B cables works fine. It did sputter a bit at first. that could be the whole lint/contacts factor. At least I know the wires should be good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts