Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently working on designing a wireless charger for my iPhone X to fit in the Giulia. My plan is to mount it on top of the retracting cup hold cover since I never use the cup holders. It's not currently sized properly to fit in this section but I'm hoping to get all the measurements I need to finish the design this weekend. I plan to 3D print this in a rubber like material to be able to flex and hold the phone in place, similar to how a case wraps around a phone.

The QI wireless charging circuit I buy ($3 off ebay) will have a red LED when the phone isn't charging, which will leave the Alfa logo back lit while no phone is present (overly dramatized in attached rendering, will be much less bright in reality unless I attach more LEDs to the circuit). The tough part will be mounting the LED and QI circuit such that light will be visible behind the logo, but the circuit is close enough to charge the phone (5-7mm max space between back of phone and circuit).

If anyone has any thoughts on a different location that would work nicely feel free to let me know. Thought about putting it in the center console but I want the phone to be visible when using waze for navigation.

Attachments

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Cool idea. The cleanly designed dashboard design does make finding a suitably stylish location and mount type challenging, but I can certainly see the attraction of the cup holder cover location.

I think it would be particularly cool if the charging pad was angled for easier viewing, but also if it were tall enough to cover the USB port, snugly fitted in the space, and finished nicely to match (maybe like the black vinyl on the sides of console), it could look nicely integrated rather than an add on (the major assumption here being that you're using the USB for power, and a cable will be plugged in).

A version for people with Carplay who need to be plugged in would be cool, too...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was thinking, if you are 3d printing, that you could actually make this modular and plug it into the usb port. By using y-shaped supports below, you could make it a sort of shelf over the cupholders. I use the cupholders all the time, so I would need to think of a different solutions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Currently working on designing a wireless charger for my iPhone X to fit in the Giulia. My plan is to mount it on top of the retracting cup hold cover since I never use the cup holders. It's not currently sized properly to fit in this section but I'm hoping to get all the measurements I need to finish the design this weekend. I plan to 3D print this in a rubber like material to be able to flex and hold the phone in place, similar to how a case wraps around a phone.

The QI wireless charging circuit I buy ($3 off ebay) will have a red LED when the phone isn't charging, which will leave the Alfa logo back lit while no phone is present (overly dramatized in attached rendering, will be much less bright in reality unless I attach more LEDs to the circuit). The tough part will be mounting the LED and QI circuit such that light will be visible behind the logo, but the circuit is close enough to charge the phone (5-7mm max space between back of phone and circuit).

If anyone has any thoughts on a different location that would work nicely feel free to let me know. Thought about putting it in the center console but I want the phone to be visible when using waze for navigation.

Great idea, all the cars I test drove had a wireless charging dock, I was bummed when I found out this diffident.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Any update on how this turned out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts