1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
Wonder if anyone has had this problem?
2018 QV
Parked up (outside in rain, usually it's garaged) for 5 days.
Jumped in car and started engine, no warning lights at all, car is pretty much over serviced and only 17000 miles.
Went to switch on wipers but absolutely nothing.
Drove home 30 miles and still nothing despite re-starting etc.
Noticed the rotary volume on steering wheel and the phone buttons not working. All of these are on the right side of the steering wheel.
Totally bizarre!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
As always, when a component stops working, check the fuses.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Definitely sounds like water damage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely sounds like water damage.
The car is practically new, hardly been exposed to rain, if that's how bad Alfa's are I'm selling it.
So far a tire pressure sensor has failed, cabin illumination console and injector.
I was hoping Alfa had sorted their electrical issues, alas probably not.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There was a known issue with recall (maybe?) regarding the BCM on right hand drive models and water damage. Considering thats a RHD specific issue Im not sure what the date range was but it sounds like that could be it. There is a simple fix at the dealer if thats it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounds like a simple fix, but if the dealer doesn't have a clue or experienced, well that's a big reason to deter someone away from the brand. It's one thing if the car fails, but if dealer can't figure it out, or do it right the first time, that's when customers get even more upset. So hopefully in this case they successfully fix your issue for good!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a known issue with recall (maybe?) regarding the BCM on right hand drive models and water damage. Considering thats a RHD specific issue Im not sure what the date range was but it sounds like that could be it. There is a simple fix at the dealer if thats it.
Thanks bro, but what's a BCM?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks bro, but what's a BCM?
Body control module. In new cars these control a bunch of stuff like lights, signals, locks, etc. which is why we dont have to have a bank of like 10,000 relays and fuses for all the electronic junk in these cars. I have no idea what the BCM in that location controls, just that leakage on there was a known issue in the first years of production.

·
Registered
379 Posts
BCM is located in passenger's footwell under cover. Check for water damage.
Also worth checking if cover on fuse box under bonnet is properly closed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Body control module. In new cars these control a bunch of stuff like lights, signals, locks, etc. which is why we dont have to have a bank of like 10,000 relays and fuses for all the electronic junk in these cars. I have no idea what the BCM in that location controls, just that leakage on there was a known issue in the first years of production.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohh and forgot to add. Steering wheel buttons now flash on and off. Seriously, who makes Alfa's electronics?
Latest... Wiper Service now shows up as amber wrning light on dash 2 days after wipers stopped working, wtf?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BCM is located in passenger's footwell under cover. Check for water damage.
Also worth checking if cover on fuse box under bonnet is properly closed.
Thanks for that bro. Had a look and all is sound. Booked into dealer in 2 weeks cos I need to self isolate (

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As always, when a component stops working, check the fuses.
Thanks but too many other issues going on for it to be a fuse. Latest is that the steering wheel button lights flash and audio buttons don't work.The Service Wiper warning light has now eventually decided to come on (whatever that means) It's actually become comical.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved!
After reading the handbook I noticed that you can actually put the wipers into service mode. Apparently this makes the wiper blades easier to change.
No idea how this became activated but all you need to do to reactivate the wipers is turn on ignition, set the stalk switch to zero and move the stalk up as far as it will go for 3 seconds.
Now the wipers work, the audio buttons work, steering wheel phone function works, steering wheel lights no longer flash and door mount window light is no longer dim.
Makes total sense!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts