Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find this topic but it's been about 20 to 10 degrees for the last week where I am and my windshield wiper fluid is not working. I filled it up all the way to the top with low temp but it looks? like it was pretty much full already. Let the engine run for over an hour and still won't come out anybody had issues with the lines freezing. Both nozzles are clear from Ice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, same here in MA. Car lives outdoors so no chance to defrost until the weather warms.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
that could be the rtpe of windshield wiper fluid you are using also i think?

maybe you have a summer formula that you are using?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think in both of our cases the washer fluid is whatever they filled the tank with at the factory. I've added low-temp fluid but it can't penetrate through to the wiper arms where the frozen stuff likely is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, whatever type of fluid came filled is solid. Figured that was the issue. Going to be teens and single digits for next few weeks in NY so guess I'll have to deal with it till it warms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same problem here in Northwest PA. We’re getting crushed with snow and cold temps.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
Yep, whatever type of fluid came filled is solid. Figured that was the issue. Going to be teens and single digits for next few weeks in NY so guess I'll have to deal with it till it warms.
And that reservoir could have been filled with a blend of water and fluid. When you do get it squirting you may want to run it as close to empty (not all at once, or the pump might overheat) and then refill with undiluted premium low-freezing-point fluid.

May I ask where in New York you are? I originally hail from Rochester.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
had that in my other cars, the type of washer fluid and keeping it clean are sadly the best 'free' options imo, otherwise see if they can install a heated washer nozzle that comes with the cold weather package. Have the cold weather on mine and it's pretty **** good :)

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
had that in my other cars, the type of washer fluid and keeping it clean are sadly the best 'free' options imo, otherwise see if they can install a heated washer nozzle that comes with the cold weather package. Have the cold weather on mine and it's pretty **** good :)
Thanks for reminding me about that (standard on Ti). I'll still help with undiluted -40F fluid.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I add vodka to to the tank, help maintains temp for those amazingly cold climates.
Because Everclear might mar the paint and eat the weatherstripping?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
I have used isopropanol (rubbing) alcohol for this purpose. It is cheaper than cheap vodka and is less likely to get you selected for a sobriety test.

The net says you need a 45% mixture of ethanol and water to get to -20F. You would need 180 proof alcohol + 50% of the mixture being your added alcohol to get to this value.
Isopropanol needs to be 70% to get similar protection.

Note that the fumes from either of these additives at these concentrations can be explosive and unlike your gas tank, the windshield washer reservoir was not designed to be safe when filled with such gases.

In some states windshield washer fluid with antifreeze is not available in stores, probably due to concern over the toxicity of antifreeze. I'll bet that AR is filling the reservoir with this dangerous fluid in order to comply with state laws. Since the nearest grocery story to my house in Bridgeport, Ca. is in Nevada, I stop at a auto parts store while I am there and get some -20F or -40F rated "good stuff". However, I have noticed that the -40F rated wiper fluid is not very good at cleaning goo (like bug splats) off of the windshield.

Some cars have heater windshield washer sprayers, but I don't think they heat the reservoir.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Same here. It's an annoyance for sure. One more example of Alfa being cheap and/or obtuse. Details matter and I can't for the life of me figure out how companies make such poor decisions. It's not like this is a USA only problem. I'm sure Milanese owners are equally affected when they take their Giulia to go skiing in the Valle d'Aosta. I'm not going to purposely waste the non-winter tolerant OEM washer fluid as that will just make a mess. But when it does finally run low I will replace it with $4 worth of something that doesn't freeze.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I'm not sure any cars (except maybe Volvos?) come from the factory with fluid appropriate for sub-zero conditions. And I'd rather make a mess than lose washer function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, before yesterdays storm hit the outdoor temperature hit about 20 degrees F. so decided to try the windshield washers again. Happy to report they're back. Then managed to add in a 1/2 gallon of -30 degree fluid so let's see if that solves the problem thru this weekend's sub-zero temps. Not sure where the freeze-up would've been...just hoping the plastic tank didn't expand and crack.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The factory fluid contains ethanol and isopropanol.
Worked fine for me. No freezing problem.

Jugs of the -20F blue stuff were $1.29 at Kroger yesterday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts