Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wiper blades are operating in the slow speed setting they seem to jerk and chatter during the wiping action. This is especially evident with the wiper on the left side of the car. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When my wiper blades are operating in the slow speed setting they seem to jerk and chatter during the wiping action. This is especially evident with the wiper on the left side of the car. Has anyone else noticed this?
Get some Rain X and treat windshield and wipers with it, smooth action from there on....i use that on all cars, they all do it specially if blades are long

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've driven through light drizzle and misting, as well as heavier downpours. No trouble like you're describing. Is it possible there is a residue of some sort on the windshield and/or the wiper blades responsible for the grabbing and chattering noise?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The left wiper has always wiggled and chattered, and it did not get any better after a ceramic coating was put on the car (and windshield). Interestingly, the chattering seems to be minimal or absent when operating on the high speed setting.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Happens to me too. I figured the blades need a little wear before they start to glide but this has not happened before with new blades. I may try the rainex as a previous poster advised.

as a side note, when the wipers skip, I feel the vibration in the brake pedal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine do the same thing and I wanted to replace them with a higher quility blade but I cannot find one that is compatible. Has anyone found a replacement blade that they like?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Rain-X is great, until it begins to wear off. Once you start using it you're really committed.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Good to know. By chance, are you closer to the equator or in a high sun environment? How about trees, sap, sticky residues? Even here in New England, when I use a reflective sun shield on my Miata, I find it actually cooks the blades while it protects the dash. All of that sunlight and heat is reflected back against the bottom of the blades. When using my cab cover or full car cover however, the blades and the entire interior are protected from UV rays and heat. The blades last much longer. This is something to keep in mind, and who knows how old those blades were on your car or what they were exposed to on the trip over. In the middle east, people put little socks on their wiper blades to protect them until the rainy season comes, if at all. Speed also can help push the blades against the glass and keep them stable while they might be dry and stiff and chatter otherwise. Or they can lift and chatter because they are too light under the springs. I've stopped using Rainex because it didn't help with the blades aging and damage. I don't like the foggy beading effect at low speeds either. That is actually an issue on the Miata rear window and a small squeegee is better to give a once over when you get in the car under rainy misty conditions. Rainex didn't help on the rear because of the aerodynamics and low pressure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I live in Georgia and majority of the time park in a garage or in the shade. I do think that the issue probably happened when the car was sitting out in the sun at the dealer because when I took the blades off they seemed really warped and dried out.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I live in Georgia and majority of the time park in a garage or in the shade. I do think that the issue probably happened when the car was sitting out in the sun at the dealer because when I took the blades off they seemed really warped and dried out.
There you go. Good call.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had the same issue when we first purchased one of our previous cars, a Volvo S60. Although brand new, the car's left blade would skip and make an annoying noise when intermittently wiping the glass. I figured it was a design or manufacturing issue or Volvo just used inexpensive blades to minimize costs. I lived with it almost a year, since it doesn't rain that much here in the southwestern United States.

When the "rainy" season arrived, I could no longer put up with the noise and replaced the blades with some Bosch Icon wipers and couldn't believe how quiet they were. I kicked myself for not having done that earlier. They lasted almost two years.

I don't know why the new Volvo's left blade never worked correctly. I guess I could have gone back right away and seen if the warranty would have covered it, but I didn't. Luckily, the Bosch wipers were not that expensive.

No issues with the wipers on our new Q4. They are very quiet, under light mist or heavy downpour.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I bought new OEM wiper blades from the dealership about 6 months.ago.

After 6 months, they now chatter intermittently.

I replaced them this evening with a pair of Rain-X wiper blades from Pep Boys.

Probably won't buy the OEM wiper blades again.

Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just installed new OEM blades and have to say they are great. The only issue I have had was with the old blades when I accidentally put in some wiper fluid that had some rainX like hydrophobic additive. Made the Giulia nearly undrivable in light rain at night because of the way the water would bead up. The additive also made the blades skip and chatter in most rain conditions. Drained the washer fluid out, refilled with fluid that absolutely had no rainX.
It took a long time with glass stripper and glass cleaner to get the rainX like stuff off but the windshield has been so much better since then. I know a lot of people love the hydrophobic additives but for me and the rain conditions I drive in it’s awful and one of the downsides was skipping wiper blades.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
What size blades does the qv use? The owners manual doesn't say

1 - 20 of 30 Posts