Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some cheap aftermarket wheels for my Giulia for the Winter. I also am one of those believers in small wheels with narrower tires. (I know that there is controversy on this, but I grew up driving in Montreal and came to some conclusions lets just say.) Anyway, my main point is that I want smaller skinny wheels but hate how this could look. I would like the wheels to stick out more. One option is spacers. Good ones are a little pricey though. Another idea I had was to get wheels with a larger offset. If I understand correctly, my car wheels have a +33 onset. Does that mean that if I bought wheels with a +42 I would ave the wheels stick out another 9mm? Can anyone verify or correct me on this? seems like a very cost effective way to have winter wheels that don't look embarrassing....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I think the 5x110 bolt pattern is going to be the hard part of this project. I don't think there are any cheap wheels with this pattern unless maybe you can find an OEM set of Giulia wheels that somebody is getting rid of. There is also a center hole that has to be the right diameter.

Also, I think 17" is the minimum diameter to fit a USA spec car. At least MacGeek indicated that the 16" Giulia rims are "not applicable" to a USA spec car.

Snow tires are only available in a limited range of sizes, so you might want to figure that out first and use it to drive what wheel size you want.

RacerZ might have a set of Giulia 18" wheels to sell...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I wouldn't worry about skinny wheels. I got Pirelli Sotto Zeros for my Kosei 16 in aftermarket wheels for my Miata and they are wider than stock. No problem at all. Traction is great and snow drag is negligible.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Center bore is a real issue. The Giulia uses a 5x110 bolt pattern with a 65.1 center bore. I've been spending hours looking at wheels trying to find some light-weight wheels for Spring/Summer/Fall, so I can put snow tires on my stock wheels for winter. I've seen a few 5x110 but it's the center bore that's the problem. Very few out there in a 65.1, unless you want to spend thousands on custom forged wheels. Wheel weight isn't an issue for a winter wheel, but I certainly don't want to spend money on a 3-season wheel that's heavier than the stock wheels. Right now, there just doesn't seem to be that much out there to choose from.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Center bore is a real issue. The Giulia uses a 5x110 bolt pattern with a 65.1 center bore. I've been spending hours looking at wheels trying to find some light-weight wheels for Spring/Summer/Fall, so I can put snow tires on my stock wheels for winter. I've seen a few 5x110 but it's the center bore that's the problem. Very few out there in a 65.1, unless you want to spend thousands on custom forged wheels. Wheel weight isn't an issue for a winter wheel, but I certainly don't want to spend money on a 3-season wheel that's heavier than the stock wheels. Right now, there just doesn't seem to be that much out there to choose from.
Exactly the same here. However, I am not averse to spending money on a good light weight wheel set. I am averse to blowing money on a wheel set that is no good. So far the choices seem to be:

O.Z.: 19x8 at 23lbs and $435/wheel. A bargain by any definition.

Fuchs/Tecnico: 19x8.5 at 19.25lbs and $1100/wheel, 19x10 at 20.25lbs and $1400/wheel (discount may be possible)

HRE 101: 19 x 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10 or 10.5 at about the same weight as Fuchs. MSRP is $2200+ per wheel, but Alfa9Supply says they can supply them for similar prices to Fuchs. Custom made, so you can select the offset you want.

ESE CF: select your width and offset. $3000/wheel MSRP. 11lbs for 19x9. Uncertain if these really exist.

Carbon Revolution CF: select your width and offset. $3000/wheel MSRP. Uncertain weight. Uncertain if these are road legal.

Weights should be compared to 5 hole 19x8 at 25lbs (about $2000/set) and Giulia 18x8 (uncertain version) at 26.6lbs.

Apparently HRE attempted by make a 3 piece hybrid CF/aluminum wheel and it was not good. It appears to have been recalled and is no longer offered.

CF is a bit of a concern relative to curbing the wheel. Damage from such a simple driving error could be severe and expensive. Maybe rim blades would help? Flat tires could be a problem as well, unless you want to put up with run flats; which Michelin tires are semi-run flat (has some run-flat characteristics but doesn't meet the full run flat spec)? OTOH, light weight aluminum wheels might not be much better, although at 1/2 the price per wheel the damage might not be as painful. The worst case with the rim in a flat tire situation would be that the rim would shatter and the car would collapse onto its underbelly and break a lot of things.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to be clear on eBay there are at least 20 wheel that are supposed to " fit" the Giulia at less than $150 per wheel. I'm sure they aren't great quality but winter here does a number on wheels so I'm not up for spending a lot. Main Q again is about the offset: will a more positive offset appear to fill the wheel well more ( have a wider stance?)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I was fortunate enough to find a set of Giulia 18 x 8 sport wheels that someone in Tx was selling after upgrading to 19's. I'm glad I decided to get them because they will for sure fit and were less $$ than most other options.

I'm with the OP rumifaizer that slightly smaller diameter winter wheels are a good way to go. Water filled potholes are a real winter hazard in SE PA. I decided to get spacers particularly for the rear wheels since I'm running 19 x9's with the summer tires. Now I need to work out what the best compromise winter tires are for me. The Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3's look like a good option given than in a Q2 deep snow is not something I'm going to be driving through regardless of the tire. What I'm looking for opinions on are whether to go runflat for the stiffer sidewalls to somewhat offset the taller sidewalls. Or stay with conventional go flats which don't seem to blow out sidewalls nearly as often as the run flats?

Do we need want a separate thread for winter tires?

·
Registered
249 Posts
At this point I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to put a set of winters on my 19" 5 Hole wheels. I just gotta be a bit careful! (And clean them as much as I can).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here is some results from long hours of research
Saab 9-3 late models (like 2009) have exact numbers so can use it as a search car, however many sites already have proper AR params
I was looking for retailer which is works for Canada, didnt like fancy/pricey wheels at tirerack so started looking else where
based on numbers from https://www.wheel-size.com/size/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/
1. 1010tires have some wheels which got perfect fit.
2. pmctire.com got even better fitting selection. They have only QV as a car to chose but let you play with diameter and so on, most likely will go with them since I used them before, if not with local retailer which got all the goods too but for extra $$$

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another idea I had was to get wheels with a larger offset. If I understand correctly, my car wheels have a +33 onset. Does that mean that if I bought wheels with a +42 I would ave the wheels stick out another 9mm? Can anyone verify or correct me on this?
Offset works the opposite. The higher the offset, the more sunk the wheel is into the fender. Negative offset will do the opposite. I'm not sure what the offset is on the Q4 non staggered Ti sport wheels are but my front wheels are a butt hair of thickness from my brake calipers. If they're +33 and tried to mount a +42, the wheel would hit the caliper.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Depending on price, I may go with 18" Giulia sport wheels for the winter. Maybe I should also look south to Canada for solutions.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to be clear, there are several wheels that are supposed to fit our giulias on eBay at less than $600 per set. Anyone have an answer for me on wheel offset and if greater offset equals wider stance?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Offset works the opposite. The higher the offset, the more sunk the wheel is into the fender. Negative offset will do the opposite. I'm not sure what the offset is on the Q4 non staggered Ti sport wheels are but my front wheels are a butt hair of thickness from my brake calipers. If they're +33 and tried to mount a +42, the wheel would hit the caliper.
Espresso is correct. I apologize to the OP for not addressing this part of his post; I was too focused on wheel availability. Lower offsets will move the wheel outward. For what the OP wants, something along the lines of a +25 offset would move it outward, but make sure that doesn't cause rubbing issues. Spacers are not a great idea. Offset is only one thing to consider, you also have to look at the design of the wheel to make sure there's enough backspace to clear the brakes, regardless of the offset.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Be careful with smaller diameters. That's how I bottomed out my Miata on a speed bump and cracked the oil pan. Winter treads may stand higher but they wear and almost right away I noticed the car sat lower on 14 wheels as opposed to 16s, where I set the ride height.

Zero offset means the face and spokes are flush with the axle hub. Most offsets tuck the wheel in over the hub, under the fender. Hot rods with wicked dish lip wheels have short axles and practically no offset, like on Cobras and such.

I wouldn't mess with it. Get another 19 in. set or a factory spec that will fit like the Base 18 in. Sports. Those are nice and chunky and will be easy to clean. I might go dark but that will show salt like a bi-otch. The Miata is getting winter beater duty anyway. Just finished rust priming the rear chassis ;) Winters are on 5 spokes and clean easily, show off the cool calipers too.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Baby beast, summer and winter :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Just to be clear on eBay there are at least 20 wheel that are supposed to " fit" the Giulia at less than $150 per wheel. I'm sure they aren't great quality but winter here does a number on wheels so I'm not up for spending a lot. Main Q again is about the offset: will a more positive offset appear to fill the wheel well more ( have a wider stance?)
Sorry about the semi-hijack. My web searches have not turned up inexpensive Giulia wheels, but I haven't tried in the last month or so. I am always leery of stuff found on ebay, since their seller terms are so bad for the seller that I am concerned about what kind of seller uses ebay. I've had several bad experiences.

You should be highly interested in this website:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...t2=30&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=10&offset2=41

You can see graphically what a change in size and offset does to the fit. Just plug in your starting point and what interests you.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Baby beast, summer and winter :D
Is that a little vestigial snow I see in the background? What's the maximum depth have you navigated successfully?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do I need to get different wheels for the winter? I planned on driving it through the winter.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Do I need to get different wheels for the winter? I planned on driving it through the winter.
Thanks, John
What part of Ohio? I'd put on snows if you're in one of the traditional "snow belt" areas.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts