Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey, I'm in NH. I Had a RWD 2.0 giulia and I have used pirelli sottozero 3, and then Goodyear wintercommand ultra. Both are great in snow no issues.

I Just traded my Giulia for a QV so I will be selling my winter wheel setup soon if you interested.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, All. Based on your experiences, could you please recommend the best winter tires for a 2020 Giulia Ti Sport with stock 19''x8'' wheels. I live in Massachusetts. Thanks.
First thing you should do is DROP DOWN 2 sizes to 17s...and then there is simply no other tire that can match the Hakkapeliitta R3 !! except the NEW Hakkapeliitta R5s that I just ordered! ENJOY!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
917 Posts
Hi, All. Based on your experiences, could you please recommend the best winter tires for a 2020 Giulia Ti Sport with stock 19''x8'' wheels. I live in Massachusetts. Thanks.
i live in MA.
i have 235/40/19 Pilot Alpine PA4 N-spec(porsche spec)
had no issue driving back from from stowe VT last x-mas in ice storm.
no issues climbing white mountain in NH
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Snow

Reactions: Tal and Glenn

·
Registered
42 Posts
I, or anyone could give recommendations based on their personal experiences. But probably only based on the specific conditions they experience in their location. What you need, or are looking for should be what is most important to you, based on what conditions you are likely to experience, if you HAVE to drive in whatever weather may happen, like me, or if you simply want to be safe and capable if you get stuck in a an unexpected situation.

Where I've lived for 16 years, some years there's no winter precipitation at all. Others there has been mostly sleet, freezing rain. Some years as much as 22 inches of snow in 24 hours, and very little road clearing because it's an extreme circumstance they aren't prepared to deal with. Because I have to get to work, and often transport my employees when they aren't capable of driving themselves, I have no choice but to go to the extreme and get the most capable winter tires available, as far as I can tell. I've been using Nokian for a few years. The handling and braking in dry and warmer conditions is terrible, but I adjust my driving accordingly.

My best recommendations would be 1. Read winter tire reviews on Tirerack.com., they're pretty thorough, 2. Look up winter tire reviews on YouTube and I'm sure you can get the most accurate info available for what pertains to your individual needs. Tire technology is something that has progressed quickly. Someone may be thoroughly impressed with what they've been using for the past four years, but there could be a tire that is dramatically better now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just wondering, why are you going wider than factory width 225 with the winter tires?
i didn't like anything in 225/40/19
Blizzak LM-32 is mediocre tire at best, it's worse than it's it's older brother LM-25 which was decent winter tire.
also didn't want to get RFT tires either.
245s were just too wide.
i briefly thought about non-directional pilot alpine PA4 non-porsche spec in 245/35/19 but decide not to go that route.
i've had my winter tires for 4 winter seasons and they have yet to fail me in some severe new england winter.

Reactions: Glenn

·
Registered
107 Posts
+1 to PA4s. I ran them last winter on my QV and they performed really well in the snow (granted, Seattle, but we did get some snow). I expect they'd be even better with AWD.

From non-Giulia experience, I'd also +1 Nokians. I had WR D4s back in Europe on a different car, snow was never a problem. I imagine Hakkas would be even better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Here's my research thus far:
you are comparing 2 different category tires tho.
x-ice & viking isn't performance winter tires.
makes sense if you are driving on unplowed road all the time but in MA, roads are cleared up farely quickly

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,947 Posts
Check out Tyre Reviews on YouTube, they did a 2021 winter tire test and should be coming out with a 2022 one.

Reactions: Glenn and sjxc1097

·
Registered
134 Posts
you are comparing 2 different category tires tho.
x-ice & viking isn't performance winter tires.
makes sense if you are driving on unplowed road all the time but in MA, roads are cleared up farely quickly

That was my exact intent. I spend most weekends away skiing, so M-F a performance winter tire would work well, but on weekends up in NH, VT, and ME a more aggressive snow tire is a better option. I was comparing to see what the tradeoff is between the two. The Pilot Alpin 5 looks like a great choice, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. :(

·
Registered
917 Posts
That was my exact intent. I spend most weekends away skiing, so M-F a performance winter tire would work well, but on weekends up in NH, VT, and ME a more aggressive snow tire is a better option. I was comparing to see what the tradeoff is between the two. The Pilot Alpin 5 looks like a great choice, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. :(
what size u looking?
17" are available in US, i don't think they are approved.
tirerack has 18" available.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Circle

i used to go every week other weekend to sunday river & loon mountain back in the days with s2000 running blizzak lm-25. not once i had issue and regreted not getting severe winter tire over performance winter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts