Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's a lot cheaper to just buy winter tires and put them on my existing wheels but are there downsides to doing that vs. buying an extra set of wheels?

I feel like this would be no different than getting a flat tire and just putting a new tire on an existing wheel; this would just be changing and rebalancing all 4 tires twice a year vs. a single tire for a flat when it occurred.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Couple of thoughts:

1) Often people go “minus 1” for winter tires. For example, you have 19” wheels, you go to 18” for winter tires. This is done for several reasons, but the most common is to gain some sidewall height to protect your winter wheels from those “things” (curbs, city titties, potholes) covered by snow and ice that will wreak a rim with a 35 or 40 profile tire. Also, thinner tire profiles can sometimes get better traction.

2) The risk of damage to your rims and/or tires during the change out. Just search and you’ll fine several people whose rims were damaged during a repair despite the use of “touchless” equipment.

3) The ability to use a steel rim (with a hubcap) or a stronger (and, thus, heavier) rim.

4) Winter salt and chemicals will often destroy your favorite rim, because the coatings on them will get damaged by those materials. Especially true of chromed, machined or polished rims.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,473 Posts
Seconded.

I'll add that a second set of wheels/tires can be sold or, better yet, used on your next Giulia. And you can easily do the seasonal swap yourself.

Has anyone tried tracking a set of winter tires that are too worn for snow but have some life left in them?

·
Registered
537 Posts
We sell a set of 18” Giulia reps and snows at the dealership, it’s always best to have a dedicated set, as well it will be cheaper in the long run if you consider what you’re paying twice a year for mount/dismount. You also need to consider possible wheel damage while swapping tires over so often.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Sounds like I need to go shopping for wheel and tire packages.

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Or move :smile2:
While we're at it, where's home? I could probably have gotten by without snows but prefer the added security and increased likelihood that I'll be able to return my car at the end of its lease on its original tires.

·
Registered
316 Posts
While we're at it, where's home? I could probably have gotten by without snows but prefer the added security and increased likelihood that I'll be able to return my car at the end of its lease on its original tires.
This bring up an interesting question: If I buy better tires than my terrible run-flats to use and I put the almost new run-flats back on the car at the end of the lease, will I get money back since the car will have better-than-expected rubber?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
This bring up an interesting question: If I buy better tires than my terrible run-flats to use and I put the almost new run-flats back on the car at the end of the lease, will I get money back since the car will have better-than-expected rubber?
Don’t be silly, leasing isn’t designed to pay you anything for doing it right! It’s designed to extract more money for when you don’t.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Lovely Apex (the peak of good living) North Carolina, 1-2 snow events / year, and if you’re smart, you just stay home until it melts (usually the next day)!

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Lovely Apex (the peak of good living) North Carolina, 1-2 snow events / year, and if you’re smart, you just stay home until it melts (usually the next day)!
Hopefully the OP will respond as well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I third the motion. ;) Plus... having a winter wheel and tire package will pay for itself in piece of mind, lack of damage, and costs of mount and balance in about 4 years. I am hoping some budget rims will become available in the next couple years because the Quad size is fairly unique and costly. I wonder if my stock Ferrari 360 wheels will fit? They should in width but they are 18s. ;)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I vote you get the 17 in winter wheels. The tires are so much cheaper they pay for the wheels... Alfa the ones from 1010tires are fantastic and weigh significantly less than the stock wheel tire combo.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My recommendation is inexpensive 17” wheels with narrow snow tires. The narrow tires tend to dig deeper and the taller sidewalk adds flex which pops the snow out of the tread with each revolution. Without the flex, the snow just packs into the tread and ou lose all benefit of snow tires. That’s why stiff “high performance all-season” tires are a joke.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've just gone through my first winter in the QV with winters put on the OEM wheels. No issues and my installer did a good job. I'll probably just continue to do this swap as I take care of my rims over the winter anyway and am not worried about salt, etc. I put some good wax on the wheels and basically give the car a quick rinse at least once a week during the cold months.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Get a dedicated winter set. Try these:

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Fa...n&boltpatterns=5/110&vehicleid=164426&lang=en

I actually use them for my 3 season set; I put the winter tires on the factory rims.

You'll also need a set of tire pressure sensors, part number 68336101AA which are actually a Chrysler part, so you should be able to get them from the parts department of your local Chrysler dealer.

I'd recommend a separate lug bolt set too. You'll need a M14 x 1.5 wheel lug with a 60 degree taper cone seat. Make sure you get lug BOLTS not lug NUTS. I got these from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-M14...594915?hash=item2cb19fb563:g:B4oAAOSwOdpXxqQw

The set I got was black but it appears he only has the gold insert set left. Don't be fooled by the "for the..." description where some are selling a set for hundreds of dollars because it's for an 'expensive' car.

Eurocompulsion also sells a stud conversion set that will let you convert from lug bolts to lug nuts which would make it a bit easier to change wheels sets:

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...-black-zinc-stud-lugnut-kit-alfa-romeo-giulia

if that's something you're interested in.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Get a dedicated winter set. Try these:

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Fa...n&boltpatterns=5/110&vehicleid=164426&lang=en

I actually use them for my 3 season set; I put the winter tires on the factory rims.

You'll also need a set of tire pressure sensors, part number 68336101AA which are actually a Chrysler part, so you should be able to get them from the parts department of your local Chrysler dealer.

I'd recommend a separate lug bolt set too. You'll need a M14 x 1.5 wheel lug with a 60 degree taper cone seat. Make sure you get lug BOLTS not lug NUTS. I got these from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-M14...594915?hash=item2cb19fb563:g:B4oAAOSwOdpXxqQw

The set I got was black but it appears he only has the gold insert set left. Don't be fooled by the "for the..." description where some are selling a set for hundreds of dollars because it's for an 'expensive' car.

Eurocompulsion also sells a stud conversion set that will let you convert from lug bolts to lug nuts which would make it a bit easier to change wheels sets:

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...-black-zinc-stud-lugnut-kit-alfa-romeo-giulia

if that's something you're interested in.
Wheel hangers are super convenient and make throwing wheels on super easy and quick if you keep the original bolts:

ABN 2 Piece Wheel Hanger Set M14 x P1.5 Automotive Mechanic Tool

Attachments

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm in NY so winters can be tough. And after reading the thread it sounds like dedicated is the way to go. Now I have about 5 months to actually get a set.
All NY winters are not created equal. Drivers on Long Island and NYC will benefit less from snows than drivers in Buffalo and Plattsburgh. Mind you, I put on snows when I was a student in Charlottesville, VA.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts