Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
So my Giulia Q4 came with pirelli which of course are great however they wear so quickly so I replaced them with Michelin all season. I live in Toronto and we don’t get huge snow storms that often so I never bothered with winter tires and the 2 storms I had to drive in my pirelli were amazing however this year we are getting more snow then normal and my Michelin are terrible the back causes spin out constantly. I was going to get the nexen however they are now impossible to get a hold of sooooo my question is
Kumho, which are a much better price or
Michelin or pirelli?
TIA

· Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,715 Posts
Hello everyone
So my Giulia Q4 came with pirelli which of course are great however they wear so quickly so I replaced them with Michelin all season. I live in Toronto and we don’t get huge snow storms that often so I never bothered with winter tires and the 2 storms I had to drive in my pirelli were amazing however this year we are getting more snow then normal and my Michelin are terrible the back causes spin out constantly. I was going to get the nexen however they are now impossible to get a hold of sooooo my question is
Michelin or pirelli?
TIA
I'd stay away from the Korean brands (Nexen, Kumho).

Get any of these winter tires (all great in snow, but ranked by dry day performance):
  1. Pirelli Sottozero 3
  2. Michelin X-ICE
  3. Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
Remember, winter tires cannot be used in the spring/summer/fall (over 40degF/4degC), so if you don't want to change tires twice per year, then go with the above suggestion of CrossClimate 2.

· Registered
'17 Giulia QV
1,572 Posts
If you want a dedicated winter tire/rim setup, which I would recommend as I only live an hour west of you, go for the Bridgestone Blizzaks. I put these tires on all my vehicles that get winter driven and they really are awesome. You may find good deal on them at Costco or Canadian Tire, depending which one still has sales going on.

What size rim do you currently have on now? Pictures?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want a dedicated winter tire/rim setup, which I would recommend as I only live an hour west of you, go for the Bridgestone Blizzaks. I put these tires on all my vehicles that get winter driven and they really are awesome. You may find good deal on them at Costco or Canadian Tire, depending which one still has sales going on.

What size rim do you currently have on now? Pictures?

· Registered
'17 Giulia QV
1,572 Posts

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I honestly don't understand the rationale of not getting winter tires. In winter temperature, they simply have better traction than all season tires, even on bone dry pavement.

And for heaven's sake, people need to realize that AWD is a performance feature, not a safety feature. The second your foot is off the gas pedal, a car goes into No-Wheel-Drive mode. AWD helps you get going but it doesn't help you stop. In fact, with the weight of the extra equipment it marginally increase stopping distance. And in winter, the dangerous part of driving is trying to stop in time, not getting going.

Even from a financial perspective, the extra set of tires means you don't wear out the all-season set as fast, and so one doesn't need to replace them as often. And in Toronto Ontario, most insurance companies provide a discount if you use winter tires, so the extra 1-time cost of the wheels and the semi-annual swapping cost is largely offset.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Michelin Cross Climate tires are 90% as good as winter tires in the snow and 85% as good as summer tires in the dry.

Winter tires have become really an outdated need unless you are driving in snow pretty much every single day.
The way I see it, and the way the words literally mean, "90% as good" means "not as good".

If you live in the southern States, then sure, you may have a very valid point. But we are talking about Toronto Canada here. If you live in a climate cold enough, let alone snows enough, to use them, get them.

And I've already addressed the financial aspect of not going for dedicated winter tires.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
The way I see it, and the way the words literally mean, "90% as good" means "not as good".

If you live in the southern States, then sure, you may have a very valid point. But we are talking about Toronto Canada here. If you live in a climate cold enough, let alone snows enough, to use them, get them.

And I've already addressed the financial aspect of not going for dedicated winter tires.

Ok, they are only 90% as good in the snow as a snow tire.

However, they are absolutely better in the dry or wet than a winter tire. How many days do you drive on snow covered roads vs dry or wet roads while you have winter tires on? If it's less than 90% of the time (like I mentioned) it's not worth it.

· Registered
91 Posts
I agree with C.Q4, that winter tires are far superior to all season tires because their rubber compounds remain flexible at low temperatures, ensuring better grip on wet, dry, snowy or icy pavement.

I also endorse the Pirelli Sottozero 3s (on my current AWD Giulia Q4 Ti) and the Michelin X-ICE 2s, which I had on my Fiat 500 Abarth for five(!) winters without losing their advantage, in spite of obvious tread wear.

Both these tire models are targeted more for icy than snowy conditions. They both have huge amounts of siping (tiny grooves) in the tread pattern which vastly improves grip on ice, especially in cold temperatures.

Other winter tire models are aimed for more deep snow conditions, and are really more logical for someone who lives in a more rural setting, where roads may not be as well or as frequently plowed. I've had great performance with General Altimax Arctic winter tires in deep snow conditions, but prefer tires directed more for ice traction since we lived where snow plowing is prompt and widespread.

My summer wheels and tires are likely the same as yours. I wanted to maintain the same look for my winter setup, so I got a set of Centerline wheels in 18" for my winter tires. They're not cheap, but seem to be holding up fine against the harsh winter elements.

· Registered
2021 Giulia Ti Sport
179 Posts
I ran Blizzak WS70 on my CLK and they were fantastic. The one part that sucked was it took between 1000-2000km to really break them in (I attribute that to the walnut shell impregnation and getting enough initial wear to expose them). I went narrow and tall which makes a huge difference in getting the tire to sink properly and get good grip. Too wide and short causes the tire to float on snow/slush (another reason not to run AS as they need to perform well in the other three seasons also). AS tires give up great performance in any given season in order to offer ok performance in all the seasons. Where winters ultimately shine is with braking which is the most important in my opinion. Plus the insurance discount of running winters is a bonus.

All in all, like in aviation where the saying goes “Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory”, same can be said for winter driving 😊

· Banned
74 Posts
Hello everyone
Michelin or pirelli?
TIA
Ciao Francesca...mia cara Alfista...My suggestion is you go see Brent at Factory Tire... speak to him and he will give you 3 options....GOOD/BETTER/BEST you cannot go wrong...my friend just bought a STELVIO and shes getting 4 winters with aluminum rims installed this week for under $2000
call Brent 647-287-9054 tell him PIZZA guy send you :) go
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Car Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.