Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom Line Up Front: I love my Ti Q2, great gas mileage, fantastic looks, an absolute joy to drive, and I have had none of the issues that I read about on the Forums.

At the start of a trip to New Jersey last weekend I took a rock to the windshield about 4 inches up from the bottom on the passenger side and about 2 inches in from the edge....needless to say that almost instantly caused a crack at least a foot long and growing. USAA uses Safelite to repair the windshields, but they called yesterday and said "they could not repair an exotic car like the Alfa Romeo Guilia" So now after calling several shops in the Norfolk, VA area the Southern Alfa Romeo in Norfolk is going to have me drop the car off so their shop, Coastal Glass can come and look at the car and see if they can get all the parts necessary for the repair (Forward looking camera, rain sensors, the infrared windshield, etc). Also because our windshields have no trim around them, there is less chance of covering a mistake if one is made. So next Tuesday I will have to update you on my progress, but so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed. As an aside, when we called the dealer to inquire about the price for a new windshield, $1075.00 and a week to get it here.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Bottom Line Up Front: I love my Ti Q2, great gas mileage, fantastic looks, an absolute joy to drive, and I have had none of the issues that I read about on the Forums.

At the start of a trip to New Jersey last weekend I took a rock to the windshield about 4 inches up from the bottom on the passenger side and about 2 inches in from the edge....needless to say that almost instantly caused a crack at least a foot long and growing. USAA uses Safelite to repair the windshields, but they called yesterday and said "they could not repair an exotic car like the Alfa Romeo Guilia" So now after calling several shops in the Norfolk, VA area the Southern Alfa Romeo in Norfolk is going to have me drop the car off so their shop, Coastal Glass can come and look at the car and see if they can get all the parts necessary for the repair (Forward looking camera, rain sensors, the infrared windshield, etc). Also because our windshields have no trim around them, there is less chance of covering a mistake if one is made. So next Tuesday I will have to update you on my progress, but so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed. As an aside, when we called the dealer to inquire about the price for a new windshield, $1075.00 and a week to get it here.
Is USAA going to cover it even though Safelite cannot do the repair?
Is that price for the infrared windshield or the standard windshield?
In my (new to me) area it is recommended that windshields be replaced every couple of years since they get "sand blasted" by wind born rocks and winter road grit.

The accessories that you mention should attach to brackets on the windshield. I believe that they should not need to be replaced. However, a windshield with the correct mounting brackets needs to be installed and all that stuff has to be taken loose then re-installed.

Hopefully your installer will have the right fixture to place the windshield on the car in the correct position.
Make certain that the installer covers glass breakage at least during installation, interior damage, as well as no leaks. It is not a bad idea to see if the AR dealer can provide some kind of protective cover for the dashboard during the windshield removal process.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Do not use a mobile installer !!!!

Reactions: DEEZZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Windshield was replaced, I ended up paying the deductible, but all is good and the car had a brand new Alfa windscreen

Reactions: DEEZZ

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
Five months ago. Thanks for remembering to follow up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts