Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Maybe I just stepped out from prehistoric times but since when did windshield wipers require the hood to be open in order to clean the windshield. My last new car was 2013 and I just reach over and flip them up not hood open required.

Well I have been carefully pulling the passenger side up with the hood closed. I had both up when I was just backing the QV up a bit to do more detailing. Well the driver stayed up and the passenger slammed back down essentially hitting the edge of my hood. I have a full front film so it took off some film and the reat self corrected.

I am at the dealer this morning and they informed me that the hood MUST be open to lift the wipers and clean the windshield. "a lot of cars are like that now" Am I the only bozo that didn't know this. Since we bought the QV from out of state site unseen so they get away with explaining nothing to you not that anyone else would but that was an anomaly to me

So I guess I am still in the dark ages. Still put my car in park before exiting and thinking windshield wipers can be pulled up without opening a hood

·
Registered
443 Posts
Okay. Maybe I just stepped out from prehistoric times but since when did windshield wipers require the hood to be open in order to clean the windshield. My last new car was 2013 and I just reach over and flip them up not hood open required.

Well I have been carefully pulling the passenger side up with the hood closed. I had both up when I was just backing the QV up a bit to do more detailing. Well the driver stayed up and the passenger slammed back down essentially hitting the edge of my hood. I have a full front film so it took off some film and the reat self corrected.

I am at the dealer this morning and they informed me that the hood MUST be open to lift the wipers and clean the windshield. "a lot of cars are like that now" Am I the only bozo that didn't know this. Since we bought the QV from out of state site unseen so they get away with explaining nothing to you not that anyone else would but that was an anomaly to me

So I guess I am still in the dark ages. Still put my car in park before exiting and thinking windshield wipers can be pulled up without opening a hood
The previous three or four cars I owed all had a service mode on the wipers. With the car off, you would push the lever half way and they would come to the top and stay there so you could clean them and change the blades. That was pretty useful.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your QV have that or we don't have that? Well I feel sorry for the folks in the cold states if they have to lift the hood to get snow and ice off their windshields in the morning.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
IT is right there in the manual how to get wipers into service position.....most certainly you dont need to open the hood....
Recessed wipers are really a very good feature and most modern cars have them these days, some more some less recessed but as a consequence with most cars today you have to get wipers into service position if you want to lift them

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT is right there in the manual how to get wipers into service position.....most certainly you dont need to open the hood....
Recessed wipers are really a very good feature and most modern cars have them these days, some more some less recessed but as a consequence with most cars today you have to get wipers into service position if you want to lift them

Which page in my owners manual. I need to tell these guys. I am still waiting in the popcorn room for my QV

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Pages 213 and 214 of the 2017 Owners Manual. Basically, switch the wipers off, switch the ignition off and (within 2 minutes) hold the wiper stalk up for at least 3 seconds. Wipers will move to the service position.

Reactions: LoCoRob and Bender

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay. Sufficiently embarrassed. Golly I hate it when it comes down to ME NOT reading instructions. Aren't all cars suppose to work the same. Tell Alfa all cars should work the same. Oh, they don't?

THANK YOU SOO MUCH YOU GUYS. No the service guy said that is only for changing wiper blades. Not sure I was buying it but he was also not the Alfa Tech but if I had read the manual front to back I would know. Fortunately not a huge scrape on the film. I am just trying to push it back into place by stretching it with heat.

What would I do without all of your help.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio, Sport, Vesuvio Grey on Red
50 Posts
Okay. Sufficiently embarrassed. Golly I hate it when it comes down to ME NOT reading instructions. Aren't all cars suppose to work the same. Tell Alfa all cars should work the same. Oh, they don't?

THANK YOU SOO MUCH YOU GUYS. No the service guy said that is only for changing wiper blades. Not sure I was buying it but he was also not the Alfa Tech but if I had read the manual front to back I would know. Fortunately not a huge scrape on the film. I am just trying to push it back into place by stretching it with heat.

What would I do without all of your help.
I did not know of this feature. But, I have been doing it manually to clean the windshield. I would first raise the drivers side wiper, then it would allow my to lift the passenger one a bit and then raise it up to service position. I know this is not the optimum way, but I have been doing it. When I pull up on the wiper, it is very little to no resistance.

I will now do it the right way!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember to put the wipers back in place prior to starting the car. The wipers will (passenger side will drivers side will stay straight up) snap back down as soon as the car is started. That is when the wiper collided with the hood rim

·
Registered
244 Posts
Pages 213 and 214 of the 2017 Owners Manual. Basically, switch the wipers off, switch the ignition off and (within 2 minutes) hold the wiper stalk up for at least 3 seconds. Wipers will move to the service position.

Wait! Do you have to put it in park first???
Sorry, sarcasm resulting from another thread....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
This forum is starting to ridicule other members who have a safety concern, Lets keep this about the Giulia.
Thank You

Reactions: DareBear
1 - 20 of 32 Posts