Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got my windshield replaced today... came back home at night and decided to take a flashlight to my A pillars. Noticed a good bit of markings (car color is black). Marks are white on the black paint, does not come off when you rub it. These are not line marks, more like a wider scruff-looking, splatter-looking mark. Also quite sure it's not bug guts or else by putting some water and rubbing it I would assume it to fall right off.

Just wondering if anyone here knew the process in getting the windshield replaced and would that process/equipment warrant any scatches on the A pillar? Or would you guys say these scratches may have just come from daily driving (rock kick up)?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Can you post pictures?

I had mine replaced a few months ago but don't have your issue

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would be happy to post pictures, a little late right now so unable to really get a picture with great lighting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Take your finger nail and see if it is scratched. If it dips in it's a scratch and I would raise heck. If it's dirt, then it will be bump or hill. Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hopefully that is just sealer that got on the A pillar. If that was not there before, I would be make a call or three. There are definitely what appear to be hand or arm prints on the pillar. Sloppy job all around it looks like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take your finger nail and see if it is scratched. If it dips in it's a scratch and I would raise heck. If it's dirt, then it will be bump or hill. Good luck!
Just took another look at it. It definitely is not a bump and I can feel the grooves. It however does not dip deep at all, seems like very very light scratches? Not sure if what I’m saying makes sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully that is just sealer that got on the A pillar. If that was not there before, I would be make a call or three. There are definitely what appear to be hand or arm prints on the pillar. Sloppy job all around it looks like.
Yeah definitely there’s a lot of fingerprints and oil marks everywhere, initially thought that was just part of the manpower process. Can’t take the car out for a wash yet given it still needs some time to set.

If it were sealed, I’d assume these marks would be bumpy and lump on top of the paint?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah definitely there’s a lot of fingerprints and oil marks everywhere, initially thought that was just part of the manpower process. Can’t take the car out for a wash yet given it still needs some time to set.

If it were sealed, I’d assume these marks would be bumpy and lump on top of the paint?
Yes, that is correct. If it's sealer it would scrape off. As previously mentioned, use your finger nail. I recommend the thumb, it seams to be the most durable of the fingers. I hope that was not Safelite. The company/tech should have wiped the area including the a pillars and windshield. The little things are the mark of quality work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that is correct. If it's sealer it would scrape off. As previously mentioned, use your finger nail. I recommend the thumb, it seams to be the most durable of the fingers. I hope that was not Safelite. The company/tech should have wiped the area including the a pillars and windshield. The little things are the mark of quality work.
Yep definitely not coming off. Any chance it could be just from daily driving and my not noticing of it? Recommend to call the shop or directly to insurance?

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's possible that you did not notice it, I have no idea how much you look over your car. For myself, I know that a mosquito which had just bitten a German Sheppard was squashed on my lower lip spoiler between 5 and 5:30pm yesterday. I have a hit out on his family. The mosquito, not the German Sheppard. haha. Seriously though; Is it a bump on the paint? if its a bump it should come off, if it's in scratch, it will need to be touched up in some way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Seems that it is deep. Call the company and complain have them come out (or go to them) and tell them either you clean off the dirt or buy you new trim if it's scratched. Period.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am having my windshield replaced tomorrow... any words of wisdom or watch outs from those that have had it done? I don’t want to watch them make the sausage, but terrified they will scratch or damage the vehicle. Two people are supposed to come out to do it (a guy came out today to do it, but I think I spooked him from doing it by himself...I am pretty OCD about the car like I am sure most of you are) tomorrow, so hopefully will go smooth. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I am having my windshield replaced tomorrow... any words of wisdom or watch outs from those that have had it done? I don’t want to watch them make the sausage, but terrified they will scratch or damage the vehicle. Two people are supposed to come out to do it (a guy came out today to do it, but I think I spooked him from doing it by himself...I am pretty OCD about the car like I am sure most of you are) tomorrow, so hopefully will go smooth. Thanks in advance.
I haven’t had the pleasure, but others have suggested paying very close attention to the fit and position of the top edge of the windshield vs roof. Take pics before it’s replaced.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A 2 guy operation may be ok but myself and others have bad experiences with "guy in a van" windscreen replacements and next time I would go to a dealership. A guy I was talking to this week had his Toyota LandCruiser windscreen replaced last year. This year it wouldn't start and it was found that a water leak around the new windscreen had got into the electrics and he was initially quoted $35 thousand (yes that's right) in parts to replace ( he did a work around but it still cost over 4 grand)

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Take good detailed pictures inside and out before the work is done. Keep in mind that the installer will use a miniature jack hammer from the inside of the car in order to separate the old glass from the windshield frame; plenty of potential to mess up the dashboard, A pillar covers, and headliner.

For better aerodynamics the top edge of the windshield is supposed to be slightly higher than the roof line. Take a before measurement and point out the detail to the installer.

If you have a forward camera in the windshield instrument pod, make sure that it clicks into the bracket (both sides) on the new windshield before any windshield work starts.

Make the installer aware that the wiring harness to the windshield mounted instrument pod is in the path of the windshield removal jackhammer. Appropriate caution is advised as well as post windshield removal inspection of the harness.

FWIW: the OP may have been looking at masking tape residue. When the windshield is first set in place the pitch black sealant is soft and will let the windshield slowly move. Installers typically use masking tape to prevent the windshield from moving. Also, the installer should put masking tape all the way around the windshield opening in order to keep the really hard to remove sealant off of the paint.

Reactions: Alfagreg

·
Registered
64 Posts
A 2 guy operation may be ok but myself and others have bad experiences with "guy in a van" windscreen replacements and next time I would go to a dealership. A guy I was talking to this week had his Toyota LandCruiser windscreen replaced last year. This year it wouldn't start and it was found that a water leak around the new windscreen had got into the electrics and he was initially quoted $35 thousand (yes that's right) in parts to replace ( he did a work around but it still cost over 4 grand)
All great advice from everyone...thank you! I took my car to Raleigh last Saturday (133 miles away) to get serviced and noticed the chip on the way back. OEM windshield was quoted at ~$1500, plus installation; after market $560 all in. I took it to a local shop just to fill the chip and they ended up cracking the windshield beyond repair. 🙄. Anyway, thanks all for the detailed advice and guidance... keep your fingers crossed...

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
It seems that OEM windshield prices are all over the place. I've seen numbers in the forums from $1000 to $2700. If you have an IR windshield (needed if you have ACC) it will be at the upper end of that range. IIRC, mine was $2200 just for the part and I only noticed after it was installed that the camera bracket was defective and only holding one side of the camera securely. My insurance begrudgingly covered the cost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well... new windshield in. I was at anxiety leave 1000 for 2 hours. The black around the edges of the glass don’t seems as “black” as the original windshield. They oozed glue against the drivers side a pillar on the inside and will have to come back Monday and see if the can resolve. May have to replace the A pillar cover if stained with black glue color. Also jacked up the wiper blades, cranking them down too far below the glass. The new windshield also sits a little “higher”than the last windshield from a side profile view, as it relates to the top of the car. We will see if there is wind noise when I drive it. I had to take a call, so missed the actually install and reassembly, so praying all went back appropriately. Hopefully all resolved Monday. Hope you all avoid this process...awful.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well... new windshield in. I was at anxiety leave 1000 for 2 hours. The black around the edges of the glass don’t seems as “black” as the original windshield. They oozed glue against the drivers side a pillar on the inside and will have to come back Monday and see if the can resolve. May have to replace the A pillar cover if stained with black glue color. Also jacked up the wiper blades, cranking them down too far below the glass. The new windshield also sits a little “higher”than the last windshield from a side profile view, as it relates to the top of the car. We will see if there is wind noise when I drive it. I had to take a call, so missed the actually install and reassembly, so praying all went back appropriately. Hopefully all resolved Monday. Hope you all avoid this process...awful.
You know it always puts me in a bind when a repair is "OK" but not the same as the original

1 - 20 of 20 Posts