Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Life in New York is kicking mine and my car’s ass! Two weeks ago, driving on one of our overtaxed highways and hit two potholes that put a nice little bend in my rim! The next day, get a red light camera ticket (didn’t sing my ABC’s before making a right on red). The next day we get a letter from Buffalo regarding parking tickets my son got when he was attending college... in 2013! Now, I go out to my car to clean the inside of my windows and see a chip and 8 inch crack on the passenger side of my windshield! This state should pay you to live here.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sometimes in the "modern world" it seems we are stepping out into a war zone every time we leave the house.
Our Giulias were designed to a philosophy and that philosophy was to save weight to improve performance. This has led to a lot of the things that are criticised such as lightweight switches and fittings. One of the things mentioned is that gee there seem to be a lot of broken windscreens. Does anybody know what the windscreen thickness specs are compared to other cars? I am concerned because I intend to keep my car long term and parts availability could be an issue later. I have heard that the side windows of the new models have thicker glass now.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
About replacing the glass: if you have a forward camera for adaptive cruise control, the mounting bracket for that camera is permanently mounted to the glass. I have had my $2200 windshield replaced one due to a crack on the lower passenger (right hand) side. After the replacement I noticed that the camera appears to be aimed wrong. When poking inside the camera pod I see that the left side clip is not holding the camera securely and cannot be convinced to do so. I suggest checking this bracket by snapping in a camera before allowing a new windshield to be installed and reject the windshield if both clips do not snap around the pins on the camera. The camera should be held securely; mine only holds on the right side now <sigh>.

About the glass cracking: it seems that most of the problems are due to rocks hitting the lower passenger side of the windshield. This sounds to me more like an issue with the car somehow directing rocks to that position than that the glass itself is the problem. I have never before had a car in which I heard so many hard impacts on the windshield.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Fortunately, I don’t have the adaptive cruise control. I’m thinking of going directly to my dealer for replacement, as opposed to a Safelite. Thoughts? My late Aunt would say Summanabitch!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I took mine to Cars Dawydiak in SF and they sent the car out for the windshield R&R. The dealer did the other work, such as R&R pod and internals and R&R trim. The A pillar covers are tricky to install. The ACC requires calibration.

According to the diagram that @MacGeek posted, they placed the windshield 3mm too low. The diagram shows the windshield about 2.5-3mm above the roof line, not flush.

For my pickup truck replacing the windshield was a rather violent operation. The windshield guy showed up with what looks like a jackhammer with a spatula on the end. It is used to separate the old glass from the sealant, running the large, heavy, violent tool all along the inside edge of the windshield. I am guessing the it is similar for a Giulia and now that I think about it I am a little concerned that my intermittent private CANBUS errors between the Radar unit and the forward camera that uses a cable that is flat against the top-center of the windshield might be caused by damage to that cable.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I took mine to Cars Dawydiak in SF and they sent the car out for the windshield R&R. The dealer did the other work, such as R&R pod and internals and R&R trim. The A pillar covers are tricky to install. The ACC requires calibration.

According to the diagram that @MacGeek posted, they placed the windshield 3mm too low. The diagram shows the windshield about 2.5-3mm above the roof line, not flush.

For my pickup truck replacing the windshield was a rather violent operation. The windshield guy showed up with what looks like a jackhammer with a spatula on the end. It is used to separate the old glass from the sealant, running the large, heavy, violent tool all along the inside edge of the windshield. I am guessing the it is similar for a Giulia and now that I think about it I am a little concerned that my intermittent private CANBUS errors between the Radar unit and the forward camera that uses a cable that is flat against the top-center of the windshield might be caused by damage to that cable.
Some years ago I had a rear window replaced on an Alfa 164. 2 years later rust blistered out around it for the reasons you mentioned, which damaged the coatings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A small rock left a nice little chip in my 2019 Giulia windshield (center right side of my passenger side). The chip progressed into a crack about 12" long over the next few hundred miles while driving home. $1000 deductible, so I may go with my local shop who will replace with Pilkington glass for roughly $500

Since Pilkington supplies the OEM windshield for these cars, I called them. They said their aftermarket replacement glass is the exact same glass as OEM except for the Alfa logo (bug) in the lower right corner. $500 vice well over $1000 for OEM seems like a no brainer to me. Thoughts?

Also, wrt calibration after install, my local shop says he never turns on the electrics to the car during replacement, so, in theory, the camera alignment should not change when he snaps it back onto the brackets of the new glass. My thought is to forego calibration at the dealer unless I find the adaptive cruise or lane departure (which I never use anyway) isn't working properly.

Has anyone had a replacement without a corresponding camera calibration? How did it work out?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts