Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have the windshield replaced ('18 with 1200 miles, IR windshield). This is my second crack. The first was "glued" and has held. This one elongated and now covers over 10 inches across. Insurance will cover. I saw another mention of a windshield replacement here. Anyone else with this problem? Is the glass very thin for some reason? Manufacturing defect? In 32 years of driving I've never had to replace glass, now twice in a month and no I'm not trailing 18 wheelers or driving off road....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got a nick in mine with less then 600 miles. Never had a broken windshield before. I thought the glass was thinner maybe for weight saving who knows. Could be me and the glass is the same as all others. Anyone know for sure.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just got a rock chip, about a 5/8" star. Will call insurance tomorrow. Hope the injection type fix works OK.

After several windows replacements in my old Honda Accord I had the windshield crack again most of the way across several times and went back to the same shop my insurance sent me to. At first I thought it was cheap replacement glass but it was a national auto window company. Finally found out this repair guy didn't know what he was doing and didn't install it correctly. He got fired and his replacement told me the story. I think a rock chip can happen any time. Mine was a flying rock straight into the windshield at 60 mph. Will watch here for any more feedback.

QtrItalian question: Did the second one start as a star chip and then elongate out to 10"? Reason I ask is sometimes if one doesn't get a star fixed soon and then hits a bump or chuckhole, that can expand into a long crack. Just curious,. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QtrItalian question: Did the second one start as a star chip and then elongate out to 10"? Reason I ask is sometimes if one doesn't get a star fixed soon and then hits a bump or chuckhole, that can expand into a long crack. Just curious,. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes both started as a star the size of a thumb print (3/4 inch across maybe). The second one elongated on it's own in a covered parking garage in the shade. When I got back to the car in the afternoon it was done. I had a feeling on that one because two of the rays were 180 degrees opposed and very slightly longer than the others. I don't know, I've been hit by loud objects before and never suffered a true crack. Here in both cases the tap was light-sounding. I may see if I can mic out the thickness once the glass comes out. I do wonder if this may be a bone-headed engineering issue but it is too early to conclude.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I'm going to have the windshield replaced ('18 with 1200 miles, IR windshield). This is my second crack. The first was "glued" and has held. This one elongated and now covers over 10 inches across. Insurance will cover. I saw another mention of a windshield replacement here. Anyone else with this problem? Is the glass very thin for some reason? Manufacturing defect? In 32 years of driving I've never had to replace glass, now twice in a month and no I'm not trailing 18 wheelers or driving off road....
just your bad luck unfortunately...I've had my QV for 1.5 years and no windshield issues....my son's BMW has had the windshield changed twice :surprise: inside of a year from rock chips that turned into cracks

·
Registered
175 Posts
For what it's worth (just passing along what was said to me)- I caught a rock a week ago with just 1200 miles on my new Giulia and took it to a local windshield repair place I've used in the past.
Van, the owner, came out and said that the glass was made by Pinkerton and that was very high quality glass. Just bad luck that I caught the rock coming off a pick-up truck in front of me.

I hate when you can see it bouncing towards you and you can't get out of the way. After a quick curse word or two I composed myself and said thank God it hit the glass and not the paint :grin2:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Been driving these roads with rentals and used cars for well over five years, and never had a chip nor a crack.

The '18 Giulia is my first brand new car, and I had it all of 5 days when i got the first crack. Got it filled in, and blocked the spread at about 1", but it's still quite heartbreaking.

I'm still clueless as to who can replace in my region with an official windshield from Alfa.

·
Registered
647 Posts
For what it's worth (just passing along what was said to me)- I caught a rock a week ago with just 1200 miles on my new Giulia and took it to a local windshield repair place I've used in the past.
Van, the owner, came out and said that the glass was made by Pinkerton and that was very high quality glass. Just bad luck that I caught the rock coming off a pick-up truck in front of me.

I hate when you can see it bouncing towards you and you can't get out of the way. After a quick curse word or two I composed myself and said thank God it hit the glass and not the paint :grin2:
Fripp64, thanks much for the encouraging feedback about the high quality glass. I will continue as in the past to get a star rock crack filled ASAP before it spreads if possible. Will be good to get some future feed back from someone who has to have the windshield replaced and what glass brand they use? :)

Reactions: Fripp64

·
Registered
38 Posts
1st rock chip - 2nd day of ownership. 2nd rock chip - 5th day. Both are passenger side lower half of windshield. I've since treated every vehicle in front of me as if they're a gravel truck, keeping 5+ cars of distance. Both chips I had repaired.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, still not sure if this is a weird glass problem or bad luck....

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think the glass is soft, 16k and 1 year the windshield sparkles from all the pits.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A rock from a truck hit my windshield a couple of months ago and left a small "star" about .5 cm in diameter. I repaired it immediately with a windshield repair kit. It did ok until 2 weeks ago when the crack suddenly expanded and in a couple of days became about 15 inches long, with multiple extensions.
Cost of a new windshield $1400. I have a $1000 deductible, so it will cost me that amount. Was told it will take 2 weeks to get the windshield from FCA.
I have driven millions of interstate miles with other cars. Never had a broken windshield before. Agree the Giulia windshield may not be up to standard. The same seems to apply to the paint. It chips very easily.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I purchased windshield insurance at the dealer for $699. I also have a $1000 deductible on my insurance policy. The insurance covers you for 7 years, up to three windshields, I believe. No deductibles. Check with your dealer if interested.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I live in AZ and insurance has to cover glass at no deductible. We get chips all the time. Not coming off of trucks coming off of car tires. Had my last new car in 2013 got a chip within 6 month, used the stuff from auto parts and stopped the spread. Got two more and they are not spreading or hindering my driving so they still don’t meet the insurance standard for replacing the glass. I have had the chips now for 6 years. Haven’t put enough miles on the QV yet but all it would take is one trip on the highway at the wrong time and it will happen. I am not sure if this glass is hard to find and how the insurance company will deal with the infra red glass since it was OEM.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Thanks again for the tip on the glass brand. I'm getting ready to call my insurance. It is actually Pilkington.

https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/automotive/automotive-agr

https://www.pilkington.com/en/global/automotive-international

http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

Here below is the photo info on my Base Giulia windshield, lower corner passenger side.
DOT682 = PILKINGTON AUTOMOTIVE LIMITED --- ST HELENS, ENGLAND

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My windshield cracked after my head hit the rear view mirror when I was picking something up off of the floor, and then cracked again just yesterday while I was in a movie. There is no signs of an impact point and no residual debris... I def think there is something wrong with the glass being used

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My windshield cracked after my head hit the rear view mirror when I was picking something up off of the floor, and then cracked again just yesterday while I was in a movie. There is no signs of an impact point and no residual debris... I def think there is something wrong with the glass being used
I think you really need to post photos so we can see what you are looking at. So two cracks on the windshield now right?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, I have now joined the cracked window club... On our way to New Orleans and in a rainstorm a rock hit about 4 inches from the top on the passenger side .. started out about 6 inches now 14 and squiggly. Called my insurance company will cost me $500 and they will have glass next week.. **** happens.. but it sucks with a new car with only 13k miles on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts