Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Alfa for a week and been commuting to work on tge highway. I noticed a chip/crack in the windscreen about 2-3" from the bottom and about an inch to two inches across. I need some advice on what to do and how to deal with it pls?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Have you contacted your insurance company?

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is it a chip or a crack? A chip is road damage, but after only a week of being driven a crack might be a defective windshield.

Technically a crack that size should be repairable. Your warranty or your insurance should pay for it.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Havent called my insurance yet. Called the dealer and he said to get it filled in at any place(not sure about whether thats good advice).

So its a chip at the center with a crack going outward from the chip. Total length is about an inch.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Havent called my insurance yet. Called the dealer and he said to get it filled in at any place(not sure about whether thats good advice).

So its a chip at the center with a crack going outward from the chip. Total length is about an inch.
Ah, then it's road damage. That will be either you or your insurance paying. I don't think windshield repairs are very expensive. They even have mobile units that come to you at home or work.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ah, then it's road damage. That will be either you or your insurance paying. I don't think windshield repairs are very expensive. They even have mobile units that come to you at home or work.
Repairs no, replacement very expensive. If you're insurance has "full glass" I would have a temp repair and get the new one ordered. The premium doesn't usually increase with a glass claim.

·
Registered
232 Posts

My .02 - call your insurance company immediately and have it fixed before it gets any larger. I had about an inch long crack in mine due to a rock hit, called my insurance company, they called Safelite to come and fix it, but unfortunately the crack grew to about 10 inches overnight and went to the edge of the windshield so it couldn't be fixed. Now I need to get a whole new windshield installed. :frown2:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
I shudder to think how much an infrared windshield costs. Hopefully removal and re-installation are conventional and well within the capabilities of Safelite and such.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Insurance recommended safelite, but theyre a ways away so i decided to pay for it myself at a place down the road from me. Got it sealed up. But the point of impact is still noticable. Hopefully it doesnt spread and/or get worse.

I hate that sound of small rocks hitting the car. so soon and shes already got a ding ?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Samething happened to me on my first road trip. Took a rock in the lower driver side corner. It was just 2 small chips in the black so I didn't see it until I was washing the car a few days later. Stopped by Safelite the next night after work to have them look at it. The called USAA for me and got everything going and did the repair. Unfortunately, during the evacuation process before the resin is pumped in a small crack moved up about a half an inch out of the black so now I can see it from the drivers seat.

I guess the somewhat good news is that I can keep an eye on it. So far it hasn't grown. The good news is that if it does and I need the windshield replaced, Safelite deducts the cost of the repair out of the replacement cost. One of the reason USAA just pays for the repair in full.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Windshields are coming in by end of month for mine in South Texas. Mine immediately grew from a rock strike to about 12 inches. It's now reaching across from driver to passenger side.

If not already done, you will need to drill a small hole at the head of the crack and fill it with resin. If not it will continue to travel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Windshields are coming in by end of month for mine in South Texas. Mine immediately grew from a rock strike to about 12 inches. It's now reaching across from driver to passenger side.

If not already done, you will need to drill a small hole at the head of the crack and fill it with resin. If not it will continue to travel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yeah thats what the guy did yesterday. Ill keep an eye on it(i hate looking at it). Ironically, I'm in the same vicinity as you... how long did it take for the new windshield to come in, and if i may ask where are you getting it installed?

Cheers

·
Registered
402 Posts
Call safelite ASAP. The quicker you get the chip filled, the less likely it will spread. It spreads too much, then it will need to be replaced. If that happens, Safelight deducts the amount you spent on the chip repair.

Had this happen to me in an Audi. Safelight does good work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah thats what the guy did yesterday. Ill keep an eye on it(i hate looking at it). Ironically, I'm in the same vicinity as you... how long did it take for the new windshield to come in, and if i may ask where are you getting it installed?

Cheers
Soldier Glass, who works with Helfman to do the install. I am still waiting though.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Soldier Glass, who works with Helfman to do the install. I am still waiting though.
How does the windshield replacement work? Does the dealer/service-center take care of ordering and installing it?

I commute daily on the beltway and i'm thinking i'll have it replaced when i do my first year service. (So might have to order the thing a month or two in advance).

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
How does the windshield replacement work? Does the dealer/service-center take care of ordering and installing it?

I commute daily on the beltway and i'm thinking i'll have it replaced when i do my first year service. (So might have to order the thing a month or two in advance).

Cheers

Yes, the glass is provided directly by the dealer. Hopefully they have ordered a bunch of them. They then get the 3rd party to install.

They are not likely to order a single replacement, nor keep in stock unpaid. It will go to the first paying customer I would think. You should check with your service agent to be sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts