Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... about 3 months in a Ti Sport, and I know the culprit. I've put a stop to my weekly pass through the car wash next to my office, but the scratches remain. They are of the very fine variety - only visible when driving into the sun - but very annoying.

Curiously, the paint, all around, is scratch-free. So, I'm wondering if it's the IR coating that's 'softer'...? Is this feature an exterior application, and just the coating is getting scratched?

Anyway, after reading through several threads on chips, cracks and glass replacement... any thoughts on removing or filling superficially light scratches on the Giulia windshield?

Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I find that the windshield pits on every little stone, driving into the sun they all light up, glass is softer than any other car I've owned.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm amidst a replacement due to a second chip extending. When the first chip was professionally glued I later found some long, linear scratches in the windshield and shook my shoulders. It must have been left by the workers. I have not really seen that before outside of scratches created from really worn wiper blades with an exposed wiper arm or piece hitting the glass. I'm tempted to claim this glass has some different qualities (read less durable) than most but I can't yet say. I know glass can be polished but any scratch deep enough to show would probably require too much surface removal to get down to. I would think only fine streaks from the wiper blades themselves are likely to be polished down and at any rate a specialty shop would be needed - doubt a DIY project.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I find that the windshield pits on every little stone, driving into the sun they all light up, glass is softer than any other car I've owned.
That would be very unusual considering that glass is made by same manufacturer as for BMW, AuDi, etc....

I have noticed that often what we think are tiny pits is actually contaminants.....try to clay the glass, you will be shocked how smooth and less “pitted” it will suddenly be...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow I will try that!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The glass is indeed soft. I have some fine scratches from delivery. There must have been a sticker on the window that they removed using a razor blade type scraper. You can only notice them in certain angle sunlight. They are very fine. A bit annoying. I suspect the glass is quite soft compared with other cars. Im hoping this slows down the occurrence of a stone induced crack....

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Curiously, the paint, all around, is scratch-free. So, I'm wondering if it's the IR coating that's 'softer'...? Is this feature an exterior application, and just the coating is getting scratched?
I would expect that IR coating is sandwiched between the 2 layers of glass. That would make the most sense.

You could try a glass polish (cerium oxide) to remove the fine scratches. This has worked for me in the past, but the rule of thumb is it will not polish out any scratches that will catch your fingernail, so they need to be really fine.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Update.

Check the inside of the glass as well. I am sorry to say I made a bonehead move after just quieting the suspension rattle I had in the rear (brake pads and springs luckily) and used a scrubby in the inside of the windshield. I thought about the IR glass and didn't check it. Sure enough on the next bright morning I saw an array of scratches in the coating which IS on the inside of the glass at least. I was so upset with myself! Duh! It wasn't worth it. I normal cleaner is all you ever need on interior glass. If its really dirty, just hit it again especially with city smog.

But I am pretty crafty too. I realized I have plastic polish that I use on the soft top window on the Ferrari. Works great on the clear vinyl. So I went at it with that and slowly but surely the deep ones were minimized. You can really only see them in direct light anyway but the the fist view of them without polishing was kinda funky. They had little rainbow effects along the edges of the scratches like little prisms. So using my ball polisher and drill I was able to knock them back to about 33% so I felt great about that. I saw some new swirls too so add water and go slow. I hit one spot near the rear view mirror on the passenger side the next day by hand and then treated the whole things with armorall just to nourish it a bit. Then this morning I made a point to bring a microfiber towel to leave in the car. I folded it up put it on the back of my hand and went to wipe some of the dew and armorall smudges off the glass. Then son of a B the fresh towel grabbed the soft coating and my hand slipped, hitting the glass with my class ring and boom, another big scratch, this time a lot closer to my line of site. @$#^&%$! So I drove to work, covering for my boss outside my rotation, and here I sit. I will polish it tonight and pray. I had pretty good luck with the first run of scrubby scratches. The coating is kinda thick but some are so deep they go all the way to the glass. You can feel those with your finger nail. But If you are careful, and I will use more water and just the cloth this time, you can knock those back and take the top edges off the scratch to really minimize them. Even without polish they only really show in direct light or headlights. But man, today was the worst. Come on, are you kidding me? I think I will remove or turn my ring every time I work on glass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts