Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have the black window trim. Recently it has become discolored with brownish/marble type spots appearing all over. I've attached pictures--they are not really great.

Anyone else have issues with this? Will it be covered under warranty? If not, what do I use to clean it? Car only has 2,800 miles!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Do you park next to an inground sprinkler system?

Could be the pH level of the sprinkler water...I would first wash the car carefully and try a simple detail spray with clean microfiber (High quality, washed in hot water, bleach, detergent, and softener) ...Detail spray like Zymol Detailer...not sure about warranty ....don't think it's faulty...I'm sure they will say it's an environmental exposure thing (excessive sun...)

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got something similar. It's pretty typical to most cars that I've seen and is usually just due to sun exposure and maybe rain/other water exposure as the previous poster mentioned. In my experience, with almost any car, this is almost inevitable if you drive the car a lot. And I'm in Denver where the sun tends to be extra intense so that also doesn't help.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've got something similar. It's pretty typical to most cars that I've seen and is usually just due to sun exposure and maybe rain/other water exposure as the previous poster mentioned. In my experience, with almost any car, this is almost inevitable if you drive the car a lot. And I'm in Denver where the sun tends to be extra intense so that also doesn't help.
If it is elements you can use ironx by CarPro and then use Perl for rubber and black trim. Works really good. Another thought would be getting some film if it is really bad. I saw someone getting black vinyl/film done on all his chrome areas on an A7RS. I couldn’t beleive it because it looked really good with the brushed metal trim but he blacked it. I got the B pillars filmed because there were brush marks on them and the film filled the scratches in. I was thinking of doing the same with the remaining trim but it has to be custom. No kits

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I have not observed any such issues with my Q4 sport. It spends 2 days a week in the high desert (5600-7500 foot elevation). I do have a full xpel wrap and ceramic pro gold coating. I just acquired a car cover and will use it to keep the worst of the sun off of the car.

If it isn't pollen (which will wash off very easily) I suspect hard water or iron water stains. I am very careful to park away from sprinkler overspray.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That looks like residue from harsh automated carwash soaps. My GFs BMW had it after she took her X3 through a Scrub-a-dub. Personally, I only hand wash. However, you can usually remove it with a clay mitt/clay lube, followed up with a polymer sealant for future protection.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I park it inside and outside at work, but not near a sprinkler. likely a combo of rain/sun. Surprised to see it so soon. Will use the suggestions for getting it off you all provided. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah this happened to me all the time from automated car washes, always comes off with 'quick-detailer' on a rag or whatever it's called and some muscle behind it, as if you'd want the idiots at the dealer tearing apart the bits of your car that keeps water out from it ... LOL

·
Registered
876 Posts
yep same on mine, but i always hand washing the car

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just noticed this on my two week old Giulia trim as well. Thinking its hard water spots and researching detailers.

Did you try/find a solution?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Greetings,

I have the black window trim. Recently it has become discolored with brownish/marble type spots appearing all over. I've attached pictures--they are not really great.

Anyone else have issues with this? Will it be covered under warranty? If not, what do I use to clean it? Car only has 2,800 miles!

Thanks!
Did you get it resolved? I have the same issue.
I just noticed this on my two week old Giulia trim as well. Thinking its hard water spots and researching detailers.

Did you try/find a solution?

Hey guys, you have several options available to you depending on how severe these markings are.

The quickest of the options will be to use a water spot remover (that is, if the issue is actually "water spots")
The two the my shop uses in most cases are Gyeons WaterSpot Remover, 500ML for 17$ CAD, and CarPro's Spotless Mineral & Water removal, 1 Litre for 21$ CAD.
Principle here is to make sure the affected area is clean, spray a liberal amount of product on affected areas in a shaded area (do not worry about overspray on windows and paint, it is not damaging), let dwell for a minute or so, wipe off, and repeat if necessary. If this solution does not work, move to option 2.

Option 2, take a clean microfibre towel, apply a pea sized drop of cutting compound (Meguiars 105, Rupes Zephyr, Menzerna's FG400, or a similar grade of compound (you can even use those from your local Walmart or CT, such as Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Mothers, etc)), and agitate the affected surface. Once the compound has been worked in, wipe off the residue and assess the area. If you need to hit it again, then go for it. If the area is cleaned up, follow up with a Polish using the same technique to restore some shine to the burnished finish you just made on the gloss black trim. You can use a professional grade polish like M205, Rupes Yellow, Sonax Profiline, or a consumer grade such as Meguiars Ultimate Polish (all will yield similar if not same results). When satisfied with shine, apply a quick layer of protection such as your favorite wax, sealant, or consumer available coatings (just be warned that Ceramic Coatings are incredibly susceptible to water spotting during the first 24 hours of application.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
I have the same issue, Dealer says it won't be covered.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got the same thing as well. Pitfall of buying a leftover '18 that had been sitting out. Had a car wash dude that does cars at our office take a look. He tried something and real quick, it didn't work and he just said "sorry..they are permanent". I had already read this thread prior to that. He's not very good at his job so it didn't surprise me that he threw in the towel after hitting it with one thing and not a lot of elbow grease.

I'm still thinking about doing a ceramic coating. If so, I'll point this out and see if they can't get it fixed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine was like this when I picked it up, at that point it had been sitting on the lot for over a year so it's not surprising. The effect has improved over time, but I keep it parked in the garage at home or a parking deck all day so that helps. I'll give it another look when I get the chance and try the chemical guys vss @UWG recommended if it's still there. That result looks amazing.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've got something similar. It's pretty typical to most cars that I've seen and is usually just due to sun exposure and maybe rain/other water exposure as the previous poster mentioned.
Water is an acceptable variable, but shouldn't the material used have sun/UV protection built in? This is not a $10K car.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
Water is an acceptable variable, but shouldn't the material used have sun/UV protection built in? This is not a $10K car.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
Is it annoying? Sure, but not a big deal. It took maybe 10-15 minutes to do all the window trim on the car. I polished it back in May or so and it's still glossy black.
Good to know it lasts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts