Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tinted their windows yet? If so, would you recommend ceramic over standard? And also, I have the Tech package which includes IR windshield glass. Given that fact, as well as the other sensors in the windshield glass, should I skip any kind of tinting for front windshield?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Has anybody tinted their windows yet? If so, would you recommend ceramic over standard? And also, I have the Tech package which includes IR windshield glass. Given that fact, as well as the other sensors in the windshield glass, should I skip any kind of tinting for front windshield?
I haven't received my car yet, but I have had 2 other cars of mine tinted. Both were ceramic tint. Ceramic is definitely worth doing if it gets hot where you live. The tint helps restrict heat (due to greenhouse effect). Cost me about $380 for a 4 door sedan. $340 for 2 door coupe.

Reactions: larrysing

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ceramic is a big plus. Tinting the front windshield never made any sense.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went for the classy look on the ceramic llumar Air 80. I recommend it. I can definitely feel the difference even w/ such light tint. website says 43% heat rejection.

It has a very slight bluish hue which suits my monte carlo blue nicely.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did ceramic all around including windshield, helps cut the heat a ton here in LA. No issues with sensors. I do windshields here since it makes a huge difference in the cabin during the hot months.

Remember to have them cover the back deck really well with towels, there's an amp that the water can travel to and short out. Not sure if that's HK system only. It's in the trunk behind the driverside rear fender. The soapy water they use can travel through a few seams in the rear deck, hitting the wires to the amp. Has happened a few times to others if you google it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
caution re tinting and water getting the HK amp wet

apparently the wetting process on the rear window gets into the amplifier

caution!!

edit: just saw KCDC's post
What about a heavy rain?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tinting is water on the inside of rear window to apply the film. But the red TI I had on order arrived at dealer with leaking rear window from rain (I refused it and now have a silverstone gray). As far as I know this was the only one listed on this board that had a external leak.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I did ceramic all around including windshield, helps cut the heat a ton here in LA. No issues with sensors. I do windshields here since it makes a huge difference in the cabin during the hot months.
l

Oh well, in Texas any tint below 5" from the top or below the maunufactuers AS-1 line is illegal on the windshield.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh well, in Texas any tint below 5" from the top or below the maunufactuers AS-1 line is illegal on the windshield.
I?m in Houston and many places offer windshield tint, it only has to be above a certain percentage of transparency. Having said that, I would never do it because tint is never perfect and you will see inclusions and artifacts in your field of vision. Once you see them, you cannot unsee them.

PS Ceramic tint is night and day difference vs standard, well worth it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Just another caution. Pad the rear shelf and wrap the amp if you can.

·
Registered
48 Posts
l

I?m in Houston and many places offer windshield tint, it only has to be above a certain percentage of transparency. Having said that, I would never do it because tint is never perfect and you will see inclusions and artifacts in your field of vision. Once you see them, you cannot unsee them.

PS Ceramic tint is night and day difference vs standard, well worth it.
Any tint is illegal on front windshield in Texas if below the AS-1 line or 5" from top. However, there is an allowance for UV film, if it is totally clear (no tint allowed) on the whole windshield.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

On the windshield, I did the UV ceramic film. 90% visibility. Not tint really, sorry for misspeaking.

Please note, the windshield isn't worth it in the not-so-sunny places. I wouldn't do it if I didn't live in SoCal. Definitely would in Texas, Arizona, NM, Nevada, etc.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have Spectra Photosync 35 on all the windows and rear and 75 on the front windshield. Have had it on my previous two daily drivers as well. It might be technically illegal but I don't think 90% of passengers would even be able to tell it's there. Have not had an issue with law enforcement. If you're doing it for heat rejection, windshield is a must.

Have a friend who did 55 on the front windshield. You can definitely tell it's there but it's still not outrageous enough that I think you'd get pulled over. Too dark for me though.

Sounds stupid but the remote start was a big factor that drew me to the QV. I have 3 cars and a 2 car garage. Photosync + remote start is a life saver in Texas heat. I can't remember the last time I got in my car and started sweating. Used to be almost a daily occurrence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.