Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Window tint issue / Sound system unavailable

53K views 108 replies 51 participants last post by  jwq2 
#1 ·
I posted this in the "gremlins" but figured it might get more exposure here. I had my windows tinted two days ago and after picking up the car I get a SOUND SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE message in the center display. The message goes off then I am left with a small yellow speaker symbol with an explanation mark and my mileage display flashes continually. I went to a local Alfa dealer and the manager said they are having the exact same issue with another one who also had their windows tinted. He said he has no idea what to do and is in talks with some one at Alfa . His suggestion was to remove the tint. I asked him 'what happens if I remove the tint and it still persists" he shrugged. For reference I had Suntek CXP installed. I just hate the thought of spending $300 on the tint just to strip it off and find out that's not the issue . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

#4 ·
To be honest I'm not sure what it would have to do with it. The tint that was installed was supposed to be ceramic but since the tint job was so so at best they are retinting and will make sure ceramic is installed. It is strange that 2 Giulias having tint installed the same day are hiving issues. The other one was in a different location.

#5 ·
The dealer figured out my "sound system unavailable" warning light - bad amplifier. Bad part is that nobody has the part.

Now they just need to fix my "general failure" warning light.

You have to give credit to the service department, this is the first QV they have had to repair.

#7 ·
The tint shouldn't make the entire stereo unavailable...if anything it would only affect the AM/FM reception. To me it sounds like the water from the tinting process damaged the amplifier. I remember this was a common problem with a Honda Accord I owned, but with that car (since it is so common) most decent tint shops knew to place towels to prevent damage to the audio amplifier.

#8 ·
Ok, we have a pattern. My car was tinted as well - bad amp - waiting on part.

XPEL tint and paint protection.

I'm assuming the amp is located in the trunk - can anyone confirm?

Also assuming corrosive audio connections anywhere could cause the issue...no?

Please keep the thread posted as your service departments diagnose and fix the problem.

#16 · (Edited)
It definitely looks like water from the tinting could run down the windshield and into the compartment where that amplifier, especially if the seals are angled in such a fashion to channel water into that compartment. There are multiple people on here saying they had an amp failure immediately after tinting the windows....this is the only thing I can think of...it would be an incredibly rare coincidence for this to happen to three cars right after tinting especially as there are only a few hundred of these on the roads in the US.
It would be a good idea to notify your tint installers about this concern...once Alfa puts two and tow together they will deny warranty on the Amps in this circumstance.

#15 ·
Flashing odometer usually is an indication of a CAN bus error, which can happen if devices on the CAN bus are exchanged/removed. Usually requires a proxi alignment,
Did they perhaps temporarily disconnect window and/or door control modules to remove/tint the windows ?

#18 ·
If so, this would seem to be a big fail on the design as this same situation would happen every time it rains.
If it's caused by water getting into the amp, I hope these are just a couple of bad luck fails from improperly sealed aimp boxes.
I believe the tint is applied to the INSIDE of the rear window. Meaning excessive water used during the tint application is could indeed be the cause of the amp failures. It's starting to make sense to now.

Paul

#22 ·
Well fellas here is the word from ALFA . The cause of the issue is from water being push down in to a channel that leads from the rear deck directly on to the top of the amp. Of course it is not warrantied. Says it will run me $1300 to $1400 and as stated before there is no ETA on their arrival .

#24 ·
FYI the picture above is not my amp but of another that had the same issue after tinting. I work for Audi and spoke to our shop manger/ tech who said the Audi A5's had a similar issue in the past were the amp had no shielding and would do the same thing. Audi eventually put a cover over the top of the amp to protect from damage. I did call FCA today and have been given a case number.

#27 ·
Hopefully they will eventually cover it. If alfa had any sense they would cover the ones out there and promptly notify every owner not to have tint installed without removing it or whatever the fix is. After all, tinting has to be one of the most common things that people do to new cars. Then they can reasonably deny all amp claims from tinting occurring after the owner is notified.

#25 ·
Alfa Romeo and FCA will need to pay close attention to "Back Order" status and take extreme measures to overnight these parts to the dealers from Italy if needed.

The Giulia models are continuously rolling off the production lines and there are cars in overseas inventory waiting to be exported to the USA. It is seemingly an easy process to pull an amp from stock and send it the dealer ASAP.

Brand recognition and service response is very important. This is not the 1st time this year where an owner has been waiting for an extended period of time from a simple lack of parts perspective.

If you have not received a customer service call from Alfa Romeo (FCA USA), I would certainly take the time to reach out to them to make them aware of the situation.

1-844-253-2872

#30 ·
I found out my new amplifier in now in. My issue was under warranty due to the water intrusion at the taillight. Alfa knows about the design flaw. The corrosion created the failure in my original amplifier. Supposedly, the amplifier is from Masarati.

My was not "Fried" light in those pictures. It shorted out.

#40 ·
I'm about to have my Giulia TI tinted. Thanks to this forum I can take some precautions.

I pulled the trunk liner loose on the driver's side to see where the water will travel. The amplifier is mounted to the inside of the left rear fender (see the diagram in the post #9). The apparent path of the water is through the two small air vents on the rear shelf or at the bottom edge of the rear window. It would collect on top of the metal panel under the shelf which curves down as it approaches the fender and I can see how it could direct the water on top of the amplifier.

It looks like a big job to get the amplifier out or to seal it up. I'm going to try stuffing some towels between the metal shelf panel and fender where the water exits above the amp. I think problems could also occur if the speaker coils or connections get wet so the installer needs to seal the speaker grill. I found an installer with 30 years experience and he seems confident that he can do the job without problems.

I will post the results early next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.