Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Yes, tinting is an aftermarket choice. And then unless the tinter has any idea of how the car is put together, water flowing from the inside of the window to the trunk is pretty unexpected. Or at least any damage associated with it. I have a feeling placing the amp in the trunk was for weight and balance a lot like placing the battery there. I hope all new owners get wind of this issue so the damage can be avoided. I am so glad I am on this forum learning all of this. I think the best idea is to wrap the amp and tape seal it. Then seal tape the gaps under the window and use absorbent materials in the flow areas to catch any leaks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Road, you sound a bit unfair. After all why would be good for any car to have lots of soapy water dripping inside the door panels? This is just common sense. Water should stay outside the car!

If anything I'm impressed with AR for covering all this mess under warranty when it's clear that it's s stupid user error.
I'm not aware of any other premium car currently on the market that allows such a "stupid user error" to occur. Perhaps Alfa should charge extra for this exclusive feature??? :eek:

Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do a google search on "amp blew after tinting windows"
Here is a Short URL to follow. https://goo.gl/VtLXxi for that search...
Seems in the past this affected "Premium" brands like Audi and Mercedes.

I am too very thankful for this forum which definitely saved me the headache of a fried amp.

Reactions: Vailoce

·
Registered
88 Posts
What about using waterproof caulking to seal any holes and isolate the inside trunk area or the amp itself, would this be possible?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do a google search on "amp blew after tinting windows"
Here is a Short URL to follow. https://goo.gl/VtLXxi for that search...
Seems in the past this affected "Premium" brands like Audi and Mercedes.

Thanks for the link!

Seem the other premium brand have recognized and fixed the design flaw I saw on the '09 Audi's in your link. Where's Alfa been for the last 7-8 years??? Perhaps asleep at the switch......:crying:

Sure owners/dealers can caulk/seal and reduce the chance of this happening but it's still a design flaw.

Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree to a degree, maybe their is some design/money saving factor in leaving the amp area open internally in the cabin. A heads up in the manual or from the dealer though to take great precautions when tinting would be ideal...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree to a degree, maybe their is some design/money saving factor in leaving the amp area open internally in the cabin. A heads up in the manual or from the dealer though to take great precautions when tinting would be ideal...
Extra ventilation from the cabin to help cool the amp??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Old thread, but wanted to chime in to thank you all for this thread. My guys coming to my place tomorrow morning to do tint all around, we will make sure the amp is sealed off from any water damage. I have the stock audio system.

If it wasn't for this info I would've probably ended up with a dead audio system!

This really should be stickied.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Anyone here has tinting sound issue with the STOCK sound system?

I'm planning on getting Giulia with regular sound system and was wondering if I should be cautious about this as well.

Thanks!
No issues here and I have the stock sound system.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
No issues here and I have the stock sound system.
In the U.S., only the HK upgraded stereo has this issue. The “stock” system apparently has an integral amp and no components in/around the rear parcel shelf. Cars built in late ‘17 on should have a stock amp cover from the factory, and the older HK equipped cars have an outstanding RRT to install a shield.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry for the revival of an old thread, and the same question asked again. My Giulia was produced in June of this year, besides informing my tint guy, putting towels and covering the amp on the drivers sides rear area - is there anything else I can/should do to be safe? Should we remove the rear shelf - or am I over thinking it?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Probably not. All those things should be good, especially if the amp is covered. Good luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some time in the last half of the 2017 model year a shield was added to protect the amp and it seems to have fixed the problems. It sounds like your car should have it. You should be able to see it if you pull back the trunk liner on the driver's side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you both for the quick and insightful reply, going to check the shield was added and towel/plastic up the area. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wanted to post a quick follow up on my tinting job; ended up with 35% Solar FX Carbon tints on sides and rear.

Right before I went to the shop, I peeled back the trunk liner on the drivers side... just to be certain my amplifier (have the HK system) was covered with the protective padding, and found there was not a jacket, sleeve or anything protecting the amp! Surprised considering my car was manufactured in June of this year. Nevertheless tint guy was well aware of the issue and used towels as well as a rope looking chamois where he was able to plug and make barriers in certain areas to protect.

Just an FYI to any new Giulia owners - check your amp behind the trunk liner!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Nice save! 35%? I'm jealous ;) Nice and dark. Good job. I stuck with 30%-legal in MA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I had mine done they actually removed and reinstalled the amp and said they were glad they did when they saw how the water ran - 15% on back window and sub visor and 35% on sides.

If only I had the chance to listen to the sound system or even drive mine since today is day 62 in the shop for the sunroof issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice save! 35%? I'm jealous ;) Nice and dark. Good job. I stuck with 30%-legal in MA.
Thanks! Any type of tint in NJ on the front windows is "illegal" - never had any issues with my other vehicles *knock on wood*!

When I had mine done they actually removed and reinstalled the amp and said they were glad they did when they saw how the water ran - 15% on back window and sub visor and 35% on sides.

If only I had the chance to listen to the sound system or even drive mine since today is day 62 in the shop for the sunroof issue.
TPA - your Giulia looks amazing, I originally wanted White just like you have it! Saw Misano Blue and it won my heart over. Sorry to hear about your sunroof issue - you'll hopefully have her back soon!

61 - 80 of 91 Posts