Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are these failures on the stock sound system or the optional one?

·
Registered
36 Posts
So the 2 issues are the taillight seal is a problem and techs getting water onto the base of the parcel shelf?
I've never seen how they apply tint, but shouldn't they just lightly spritz the glass with water? These posts make it sound like the guys are using a garden hose back there.

Good to hear Alfa making it right for those that had issues.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It takes a lot of soapy water to apply tint well. Partly to insure adhesion of the tint to the glass by surface tension, partly to lubricate the adhesive glue so the tint can slide into position, have all the bubbles worked out BEFORE the adhesive starts to set SO it can set well and not bubble up later from contaminants or failed adhesives. Anything in the door switches should be overridden manually by throwing the latch in the door. I pranged the famous sticky trim on the passenger door of my 360 Spider battling the auto dip feature because I couldn't remember the mechanical action of the the darn door switch. When I showed up at the detail shop to have it done by a pro, that was the first thing he did when I stepped out of the car. We had a good laugh. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is a follow-up on my post #40 above.

I had my TI tinted two days ago and the amp is working fine. In addition to the towels stuffed between the fender and shelf panel, I covered the amplifier as much as possible. You can't completely cover the amplifier because of the wire bundles in the way.

Before removing the towels I drove the car and made some sharp turns to force residual water off the top of the shelf panel.

When I removed the towels, the ones on the shelf panel had a few damp spots. This confirms that the water flows along the shelf support panel. The one around the amp was dry.

I also had a cooperative installer who sealed off the rear speaker grill and air vents, and was careful to minimize the amount of water running down the bottom edge of the rear window.

p.s. This is the HK (premium) sound system

Reactions: L1qu1dDr3ams

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Glad my post saved you some headaches. My Amp came in awhile ago and honestly cant remember but apparently the only tech that can work on the Alpha's is still out on bereavement. So who knows when it will be replaced. It's been a very quiet ride for the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Glad my post saved you some headaches. My Amp came in awhile ago and honestly cant remember but apparently the only tech that can work on the Alpha's is still out on bereavement. So who knows when it will be replaced. It's been a very quiet ride for the last couple of weeks.
Well at least it isn't Alfalfa Rome-eo as they say down here in the rural part of Texas. :smile2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My amp was replaced yesterday after 3 weeks of no sound. That was a long silent haul but I'm glad to have it working. Hendrick Service is lacking in bed side manner but it's done so I will not complain to much. I'm suprised they don't offer loaner service but then again it is a dodge service center. Being that I work for Audi dealing with then is a whole different experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my amp replaced today. Tech said cause of the failure was water intrusion from the left side tail lamp wiring harness.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone here has tinting sound issue with the STOCK sound system?

I'm planning on getting Giulia with regular sound system and was wondering if I should be cautious about this as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Just check where the amp and speakers are in the rear and remove or seal them if you can. Maybe even just cover the amp with a plastic bag. Tape it tight. Or cover the window vents with plastic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was just upfront and let them know this is a new model out in the US and that several folks had experienced AMP failure after tinting. My installer put a Heavy duty Drop Cloth in the rear tray. This was 3 weeks ago now, no issues... The Installer I recommend in Broward County Florida is AllState Tinting in Davie,FL. and no i dont get a cut, lol...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amplifier Corrosion

Our new Giulia Ti with Harman Kardon had the Audio warning light then "Sound System Unavailable" issue. Just had window tinting done the week before. Dealer pulled the cover this morning and found corrosion on the amplifier. Anyone out there know affirmatively if this is a window-tint issue or something else, i.e., a tail light leak as one user reported? Have to believe FCA will warranty this, no question. We'll see.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
I donot have a window tinting done, but when I asked the alfa care about this, they suggested not to get the window tinting done as the water leaks into the amp. However if one must insist they recommend getting it done by an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My windows were tinted few days ago. Picked up car yesterday and today the Sound System Unavailable started blinking then went steady and have no sound anymore. Going to dealer later today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Giulia: How to tint

Unfortunately, much like certain Audis a few years back the amp and wires in the trunk are not covered and susceptible to damage from water gliding along the bottom shelf of the rear window when tint is applied. Thanks to this forum and the generous contributions of multiple members (especially billeee) they have provided extremely useful tips on how to do tinting to make sure no damage is done and you’re not in silence for 3 weeks while an amp is on international back order (sorry to those it happened to). Amp is located on the driver side rear of trunk. To remove the trunk liner there are 2 screw fasteners one located on the ceiling of the trunk one on the upper side, remove both of these (I used a flathead screwdriver and pried the screws out and gently pull back the trunk liner as there is some sort of string that you cannot remove. Stuff towels and whatever absorbent items you can around the amp, wires and wherever else you can to avoid getting water on anything. My tint guy also located a small opening which I stuffed a paper towel and taped shut as we think this is where the water will travel down. I did this on the right side as well just to be sure (much easier to access just take off the removable cover.) I also made it very clear to my installer to minimize the amount of water on the bottom rear window shelf. Once all is said and done, leave the towels in there, drive around making a few sharp turns to drain any remaining water still leftover in the shelf. Remove the towels put back the trunk liner and voila!, you’re done. Turn on the radio and if you hear music then you should be good to go. Be sure to tip your tint installer if they went through all of this without any problems.
TL;DR: Tell your tint guy to cover the amp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I donot have a window tinting done, but when I asked the alfa care about this, they suggested not to get the window tinting done as the water leaks into the amp. However if one must insist they recommend getting it done by an authorized dealer.
Totally unacceptable. Shame on Alfa for not providing a fix for this engineering/design flaw that permit water intrusion into that area. FAIL!!!!! :crying:

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was about to get my Ti tinted tomorrow, and after reading this thread I called my local Alfa dealer about this issue.
The service advisor told me they haven't heard anything regarding this issue and told me to inquire with FCA directly.

My car is from their second batch shipment in early April. What are the chances this only affects first batch?

I'm very concerned and perplexed at the same time that this is something that can be remedied and avoided with Alfa's precautionary fix.

It's about to rain for few straight days here in SoCal and I'm getting paranoid as heck!

Is it even safe to wash the car? :/

·
Registered
706 Posts
Totally unacceptable. Shame on Alfa for not providing a fix for this engineering/design flaw that permit water intrusion into that area. FAIL!!!!! :crying:

Paul

Road, you sound a bit unfair. After all why would be good for any car to have lots of soapy water dripping inside the door panels? This is just common sense. Water should stay outside the car!

If anything I'm impressed with AR for covering all this mess under warranty when it's clear that it's s stupid user error.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts