Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the "gremlins" but figured it might get more exposure here. I had my windows tinted two days ago and after picking up the car I get a SOUND SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE message in the center display. The message goes off then I am left with a small yellow speaker symbol with an explanation mark and my mileage display flashes continually. I went to a local Alfa dealer and the manager said they are having the exact same issue with another one who also had their windows tinted. He said he has no idea what to do and is in talks with some one at Alfa . His suggestion was to remove the tint. I asked him 'what happens if I remove the tint and it still persists" he shrugged. For reference I had Suntek CXP installed. I just hate the thought of spending $300 on the tint just to strip it off and find out that's not the issue . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also had my windows tinted - I used the ceramic tint. Why would this cause a problem with the audio system?
To be honest I'm not sure what it would have to do with it. The tint that was installed was supposed to be ceramic but since the tint job was so so at best they are retinting and will make sure ceramic is installed. It is strange that 2 Giulias having tint installed the same day are hiving issues. The other one was in a different location.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dealer figured out my "sound system unavailable" warning light - bad amplifier. Bad part is that nobody has the part.

Now they just need to fix my "general failure" warning light.

You have to give credit to the service department, this is the first QV they have had to repair.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer figured out my "sound system unavailable" warning light - bad amplifier. Bad part is that nobody has the part.

Now they just need to fix my "general failure" warning light.

You have to give credit to the service department, this is the first QV they have had to repair.
Where is the amp located ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tint shouldn't make the entire stereo unavailable...if anything it would only affect the AM/FM reception. To me it sounds like the water from the tinting process damaged the amplifier. I remember this was a common problem with a Honda Accord I owned, but with that car (since it is so common) most decent tint shops knew to place towels to prevent damage to the audio amplifier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, we have a pattern. My car was tinted as well - bad amp - waiting on part.

XPEL tint and paint protection.

I'm assuming the amp is located in the trunk - can anyone confirm?

Also assuming corrosive audio connections anywhere could cause the issue...no?

Please keep the thread posted as your service departments diagnose and fix the problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Doesn't look like it's in a location where water from installation would be an issue. But that's extremely weird that right after tinting these issues pop up. There really is no relation between the two.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The amp is in the trunk. My service department says it is on an "International Backorder". So, no amp anytime soon. I asked the tech to find out if I can put in an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
International Backorder… Interesting, I was think it was the same 900 watt amp in the Chrysler 300 but I guess not. At least your getting somewhere unlike me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flashing odometer usually is an indication of a CAN bus error, which can happen if devices on the CAN bus are exchanged/removed. Usually requires a proxi alignment,
Did they perhaps temporarily disconnect window and/or door control modules to remove/tint the windows ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doesn't look like it's in a location where water from installation would be an issue. But that's extremely weird that right after tinting these issues pop up. There really is no relation between the two.
It definitely looks like water from the tinting could run down the windshield and into the compartment where that amplifier, especially if the seals are angled in such a fashion to channel water into that compartment. There are multiple people on here saying they had an amp failure immediately after tinting the windows....this is the only thing I can think of...it would be an incredibly rare coincidence for this to happen to three cars right after tinting especially as there are only a few hundred of these on the roads in the US.
It would be a good idea to notify your tint installers about this concern...once Alfa puts two and tow together they will deny warranty on the Amps in this circumstance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If so, this would seem to be a big fail on the design as this same situation would happen every time it rains.
If it's caused by water getting into the amp, I hope these are just a couple of bad luck fails from improperly sealed amp boxes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If so, this would seem to be a big fail on the design as this same situation would happen every time it rains.
If it's caused by water getting into the amp, I hope these are just a couple of bad luck fails from improperly sealed aimp boxes.
I believe the tint is applied to the INSIDE of the rear window. Meaning excessive water used during the tint application is could indeed be the cause of the amp failures. It's starting to make sense to now.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
the amp/audio system is probably also connected to the CAN, my guess would still be a simple proxy alignment would fix it .....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My installer said he placed micro fiber cloths covering the rear deck not to say some water passed through. Last week the Alfa service manager stated he wasn't able to perform a proxy alignment because he didn't have what was needed to do it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts