Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think they will put the GTA/m engine (and i assume cooling, etc) into the QV?

I assume the engine is just tuned for higher hp and some better cooling bits?

Cheers

·
Registered
348 Posts
My $0.02 - if they stretch things out a couple more years with no "refresh" for the Giulia, they'll run out of CF bits to add and they'll offer the more powerful engine tune. Why even consider that vs. a tune? Warranty.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
My $0.02 - if they stretch things out a couple more years with no "refresh" for the Giulia, they'll run out of CF bits to add and they'll offer the more powerful engine tune. Why even consider that vs. a tune? Warranty.
That’s if we assume the GTA is actually faster than a regular QV. At this point we have no evidence.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
444 Posts
Its basically the same engine with some tuning, there is no reason to change it.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,405 Posts
We know it looks faster, with that crazy aggressive front end! I read the GTAm does 0-60 in 3.6s, does the GTA do the same time then?
An extra 100k to drop only .2 seconds 🤯

I would have hoped for at least 3.3

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
444 Posts

0-60 time is not even vaguely what that car is about. You're judging a whole house by what color the bathroom is.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Money well spent according to 500 people.
I've voiced my disappointment about the GTAm before. But considering everything happening at Alfa Romeo these days, I gotta say, I was probably wrong.

The GTAm is quite possibly the last ICE Italian "thoroughbred" Alfa Romeo we will see, on a platform built by and for Alfa Romeo. Limited numbers play into it as well.

The next model (Tonale) will be a rebadged Jeep/Fiat, and henceforth for the foreseeable future, new models will likely be shared platforms with PSA, which may not even be made in Italy.

IMHO

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
0-60 time is not even vaguely what that car is about. You're judging a whole house by what color the bathroom is.
I think it's just the limited quantities driving up the price that make it harder to swallow. If this was mass produced at 10-20k more, it would probably be a no brainer

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's just the limited quantities driving up the price that make it harder to swallow. If this was mass produced at 10-20k more, it would probably be a no brainer
I think they should have made the GTAm the limited edition, and the GTA(4 seater) a BTO trim option for ~20k more.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I think they should have made the GTAm the limited edition, and the GTA(4 seater) a BTO trim option for ~20k more.
Agreed. This exactly what they should have done. I like the gta better anyway

·
Registered
193 Posts
From the Technical Manual...

The 2.9 V6 Bi-Turbo petrol engine is exclusive for Giulia GTA and GTAm. The engine is
unique in terms of technology and performance and is entirely made of aluminum to
reduce the absolute weight of the vehicle, in particular on the front axle. It is a
longitudinal V6 with cylinders arranged at 90° paired to an 8-speed automatic
transmission.
The main differences compared to the standard Quadrifoglio engine are:
• +30hp power (see torque and power curve Fig. 16)
• Reinforced and optimized connecting rods and bushings for performance and durability
• Oil cooling with four nozzles per cylinder Fig. 17 - Fig. 18 (vs. two per cylinder on
Quadrifoglio engine Fig. 19)
• Increased heat exchange capacity of the engine oil heat exchanger (+ six additional
plates)
• Valve optimization to handle higher combustion chamber pressures
• Further adjustments and optimizations due to the introduction of the Akrapović exhaust
system with central pipes (see chapter dedicated to the exhaust system)

Line Font Parallel Engineering Screenshot

7.1. Engine
The engine calibration differs from that of Giulia Quadrifoglio in that the torque values
are increased starting from 5500 rpm to allow the target of 540 hp to be reached at 6500
rpm.
7.2. Transmission
With regard to transmission calibration, a specific function has been introduced to enable
a high-performance start.
Activating the "LAUNCH MODE" function optimizes gear shifts during acceleration when
starting from standstill. The display of the instrument panel shows the icon shown in Fig.
22, which can take on two different colors:
green icon -> function active
gray icon -> function disabled/not available.
The following conditions must be met to start with "Launch Mode" function activation:
• engine oil temperature change within the correct parameters
• no failure in the engine and electronic systems on the vehicle
• car stationary on a flat road surface with straight wheels
• electric parking brake on
There is a waiting time of 45 seconds between each activation.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So are those engine changes needed to justify being able to safely handle a small 30hp bump, or to justify charging an extra $100k +

My guess is the later or else there are serious design issues in the QV engine...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts