Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member here, very glad to have found this forum. Please share your opinion on my situation. I've been DD a 2016 Z06, have no complaints, very happy with everything about the car. Next school year, I'll need to shuttle a few kids to school in the morning, so obviously the Corvette anymore. I'll still keep it, will replace it with the ME or ZR1 or C8, but that's some time in the future. I've been very interested in the Quad, but availability is so scarce right now, I find the appearance of the Giulia kinda different, in a very positive way. Since the Quad is so hard to get, the Ti becomes a more realistic choice. I was thinking that maybe I can get the Ti (lease if the terms are OK, otherwise buy) and drive it until the Quad is easier to find. I've driven neither, but have watched many video reviews. My car background is performance and handling oriented, not necessarily luxury, though I'd welcome it. I've had a few Miatas, Camaros, and Corvette Z06. Thank you for reading and appreciate your opinions,

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hi all,

New member here, very glad to have found this forum. Please share your opinion on my situation. I've been DD a 2016 Z06, have no complaints, very happy with everything about the car. Next school year, I'll need to shuttle a few kids to school in the morning, so obviously the Corvette anymore. I'll still keep it, will replace it with the ME or ZR1 or C8, but that's some time in the future. I've been very interested in the Quad, but availability is so scarce right now, I find the appearance of the Giulia kinda different, in a very positive way. Since the Quad is so hard to get, the Ti becomes a more realistic choice. I was thinking that maybe I can get the Ti (lease if the terms are OK, otherwise buy) and drive it until the Quad is easier to find. I've driven neither, but have watched many video reviews. My car background is performance and handling oriented, not necessarily luxury, though I'd welcome it. I've had a few Miatas, Camaros, and Corvette Z06. Thank you for reading and appreciate your opinions,
Go drive one, and I think you would want one with paddles. Not sure which one you'd enjoy more, RWD or AWD but AWD is faster in a straight line just a little bit. It is the best handling and best performing car of its segment, so it really is the best. It is a fantastic car to drive

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all,

Before my Ti AWD, I drove an Audi S4 for about 4 years. A fun car in many respects. My fear in making the change to the Giulia was whether or not I would like the 4 cylinder engine. I've driven the Audi A4 many times as a loaner car with their 2.0 turbo 4, and dislike it very much. It has no personality. I've test driven BMW's with 4 cylinder engines and don't like those either. Basically, what I found with the Giulia is that the car overall is so engaging to drive. The handling, steering and engine, all taken together, really convinced me that this is a super fun car to drive. I've had it for about 3 weeks, and love it. I have the 19" sport package and love the seats that come with that. I think my biggest area of concern is the tires, which are all seasons.. I'm used to switching off between high performance summer and winter tires. I don't think the tires on the car can handle how well the car handles, LOL.. the car is just really fun to drive, and it's kind of fun having people look at it and ask questions too, because no one has seen one yet! I've yet to see another one on the road. What color combo are you thinking of?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Coming out of a Z06 you are going to need a QV....
Anything else will disappoint you (HP brute acceleration wise.....)
Don't get me wrong, the TI is an awesome car, but you'll miss the power of the Z06, unless you go QV.....

Reactions: inikkor and MDriver

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
@OP...nice taste in cars...the new Z06 is just stunning...and they really got it right with the interior...
my partner has a vert in Blade Silver/manual/black interior....and the car is downright scary to drive...just how I like'em....it is blistering fast & planted...absolute blast...so as to what ^^^Dottore said....your gonna need a QV

·
Registered
658 Posts
I second Max's suggested go drive one and decide for yourself. I didn't drive the QV because it's not in my budget but I have to say the number of times I can foresee being able to usie all the power of the Ti for more than a second or two at time is minimal. I can't imagine being underwhelmed by the Ti.
My current car is a 330i with the ZHP package. After test driving an AWD I have ordered my Ti RWD but with a limited slip diff and staggered front and rear tires on 3 season tires. Which means I'm getting a set of 18" wheels for winter tires.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I high-jacked a thread a week or so back, where I tried to make the point that cars like the Z06, AMG series, M series, and the QV while extremely interesting as mechanical devices are just not worth that much more money. In the case of the QV each of the two additional cylinders cost 17,000. 17,000. Buy the Ti. It has plenty of power.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Without sounding blunt, the question, I believe, was if the OP would be underwhelmed with a Ti coming from high performance cars like a Z06......

The answer is YES and that is a fact not an opinion like "the QV, M, AMG not being worth the money....."

Good luck with whatever you choose.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have 6 cars right now, ranging from about 120hp to 500hp. I enjoy driving each and every one of them, or else they would been gone and replaced by now. So I don't think just because you're used to a high power car that this somehow spoils you for anything that isn't high power. Low HP cars are not necessarily underwhelming at all, unless the only thing you ever do is drive straight.

Some cars are just fun to own and drive. Some cars just aren't. I've found over the years that how much horsepower a car has is not a good predictor of how much fun it will be. I've owned 500+ hp cars before that I didn't really want to drive after a few months once the novelty had worn off.

Having said that, I hear you on the QV being not available, at least not in a color/spec that I'm interested in. For me, I'd rather wait for 2018 than buy a Ti now. You should drive one, though, and see what you think about that. Everyone else will have different needs/wants than you will.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Ti is a really nice car, but it is nowhere even close to the Quadrifoglio. Each additional cylinder is worth every penny of the added cost, if not worth even more. If you can swing it, definitely get one. If you want one pronto, I know of two of them sitting on dealer lots just awaiting a buyer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In terms of raw performance, yes you might be underwhelmed since the two cars (Z06 vs. Giulia Ti) are a couple of tiers mismatched. However within the same segment I don't think there's another car that rivals the Ti in the driving enjoyment department. I think your strategy of sitting on the Ti while waiting for better QV availability is a pretty smart one.

If you do get the Ti though, be sure to get the performance package. I recently got a Ti and just started to take on winding back roads. I was thoroughly impressed by how effortless the car powers through corners. At some points I was reaching scary speeds but steering response was still very linear, felt like there was still a lot of margin from handling limits. I'm pretty sure the mechanical LSD contributes a lot to this. Also, active suspensions mean you can stay in Dynamic mode while keeping the ride nice for the kids. :)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
my 2c is you won't be underwhelmed. Think that's a strong word and this is a fun as heck car. I come from a modded RX7 TT which could pretty much eat anything on the road and thought nothing would beat that but I find myself thinking about taking a drive in the Alfa a LOT. It's not the same, it won't be as fast, yes there are cars which will be able to eat you but that'll always be the case. You'd think you'd do pretty well in the Z until a 1000bhp GTR or Supra meets you.. point being there's always something faster. Take that test drive - I tried the S4, S3, looking at Lexus etc but they made me feel underwhelmed as great cars as they are.. Alfa didn't. I might still go for a silly impractical car in a few years too but they've 100% sold me on a brand I wouldn't really have touched a few years ago :)

Good luck and congrats on the awesome dilemma :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I traded in a 2015 Corvette (455 HP) on my Ti. The Corvette was more exciting, but the Ti is more comfortable and more enjoyable to drive. An analogy would be bull riding vs. riding a quarter horse.

I like the Ti more each time I drive it. For me, it has the perfect balance of ride quality, power, and handling.

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
for the OP....just drive the Ti and if you can drive the QV...and then you decide...
a Z06 as a DD is not what I would call a usual DD....your comparing a very High Horsepower, 2dr sports car to a mid-pack horsepower/4 door/ sports sedan...
I would think that in NORMAL everyday use the Ti will more than suit your needs, and an AWD version if you are in a snowbelt area would be just the ticket....if you like to drag someone at a light from time to time like @mc3456 & @BostonDMD do on occasions....just pick your victim wisely. LOL
the QV is a Ti on Steriods.....everything is magnified.....whatever you decide you will have a really nice DD..
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
....if you like to drag someone at a light from time to time like @mc3456 & @BostonDMD do on occasions....just pick your victim wisely. LOL
the QV is a Ti on Steriods.....everything is magnified.....
I can't speak for mc3456, but last time I tried to drag race high HP cars, it didn't turn out well......:smile2:

·
Registered
576 Posts
ooo I want to do Limerock even if I get battered
Lime Rock is awesome. Drove the AMG SLS there during the AMG Driving Academy. Incredible car, and a really nice, uncomplicated, short track.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Lime Rock is awesome. Drove the AMG SLS there during the AMG Driving Academy. Incredible car, and a really nice, uncomplicated, short track.
let me tell you while she is short...even after the repave & alterations on backside...she will bite you in the ass if you think your going to just coast...
if I had a nickel everytime someone went ooopsie coming down (what will always be for me) the No-Name Straight into that right hand which transitions into the esses....I'd have enough for another QV>:)
it sure doesn't favor horsepower...HEY ALFA Us Giulia Folks would like a track day at LRP!!! YOU LISTENING!!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Cool! ...must have been fantastic. I did look at Skip Barber as it's only 40 miles away from me but was a little pricey. Am looking to join one of those track day clubs when I get around to it :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
ooo I want to do Limerock even if I get battered
let me tell you while she is short...even after the repave & alterations on backside...she will bite you in the ass if you think your going to just coast...
if I had a nickel everytime someone went ooopsie coming down (what will always be for me) the No-Name Straight into that right hand which transitions into the esses....I'd have enough for another QV>:)
it sure doesn't favor horsepower...HEY ALFA Us Giulia Folks would like a track day at LRP!!! YOU LISTENING!!:grin2:
Exactly MDriver........LRP is easy to learn, impossible to master.......

I'll be there in my spec Boxster on 4/15 instructing with the BMW club...... if anyone is interested.......

Reactions: FNM
1 - 20 of 79 Posts