Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Saw an article today that said that Hyundai plans on having Genesis SUVs and a coupe by 2020. That seems like a very similar target to what Alfa Romeo has stated.

Accrding to this poorly translated press release, Genesis is aiming for a 6 vehicle lineup by 2020:

지난달 제네시스 브랜드 출범 이후 처음 출시된 ‘EQ900’는 제네시스가 2020년까지 구축할 총 6종 라인업(-중형 럭셔리 세단 -대형 럭셔리 세단 -초대형 럭셔리 세단 -중형 럭셔리 SUV -대형 럭셔리 SUV -고급 스포츠형 쿠페) 중 최상위 클래스에 속하는 ‘초대형 럭셔리 세단’이다.

Last month, the Genesis brand first launched after the launch of ‘EQ900’ total six kinds lineup to Genesis is built until 2020 (- midsize luxury sedans - a large luxury sedan - super luxury sedan - Small Luxury SUV - a large luxury SUV - luxury sport-type coupe) the fall in the top class of super luxury sedan.
SO by 2020 we should have two entirely new luxury brand model lineups to choose from. I suspect that both of these braands won't do well. I'm sure as vehicles come out over the next number of years the public will vote with their pocket books for one brand or the other.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can see this happen, even the current luxury models Hyundai and Kia have are impressive, it's just people shy away from them, but with the right marketing and conditioning over time they can change that and these Genesis model could help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that both brands will have an equal shot at getting established in North America. It totally depends on quality of products and marketing. not sure if there is room for both to excel though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's going to be down to everyone's preference and from what I can see of their lineups, Genesis is going for the luxury comfort market while Alfa Romeo's lineup seems more sporty to me.

From Carscoops:
Beyond the Giulia, Alfa Romeo's future model line-up will go as follows. Initially, two differently-sized SUVs, currently codenamed Tipo 949 and Tipo 962, will be launched. Soon after, an executive sedan (Tipo 961), most likely a BMW 5-Series rival, will hit the market. After that, a new sports car available in both Spider and Coupe guise will be released, as will an additional two compact models, one of which will be a replacement to the Giulietta.
I still prefer Alfa Romeo unless Genesis can sway me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think that both brands will have an equal shot at getting established in North America. It totally depends on quality of products and marketing. not sure if there is room for both to excel though.
will YOU PERSONALLY cross shop the two brands? There's your answer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it partly depends on the timeline that each of them release products, but I would consider both.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I find that someone interested in say an Italian car maker will also be interested in German car makers or even British car makers, and will rarely move away from those. Hyundai's Genesis brand will get more of those into Buick, Lexus, Acura, Chrysler, Infiniti and the like.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could be right, though Korea has never really played in the luxury game. WE will have to see what the brand's personality ends up looking like once they release a few models. I could see them being a bit Audi, but something less exciting than Lexus and more exciting than Acura seems like where I would put them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You could be right, though Korea has never really played in the luxury game. WE will have to see what the brand's personality ends up looking like once they release a few models. I could see them being a bit Audi, but something less exciting than Lexus and more exciting than Acura seems like where I would put them.
I'd take an Acura any day over a Hyundai or a Genesis. They're subtly stylish and provide plenty of value. Reliable too.

Alfa will fare better because it tugs on the heart strings of petrol heads. Alfa at least has the niche audience going, Genesis starts from nothing other then once being a Hyundai sedan ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm willing to judge the first sedan they make on its merits. It can be stylish, high value and reliable too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm willing to judge the first sedan they make on its merits. It can be stylish, high value and reliable too.
Well I view the brand as a continuation of the Genesis car. While not a bad car, it was never taken seriously as a luxury car.

You saw a guy in a Genesis and knew he couldn't afford the Benz

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I view the brand as a continuation of the Genesis car. While not a bad car, it was never taken seriously as a luxury car.

You saw a guy in a Genesis and knew he couldn't afford the Benz
Point taken. Instead of the Alfa which is more of an alternative to a Benz, the Genesis is a poor man's Benz.

·
Registered
576 Posts
OMG...funny question. Genesis will definitely sell more cars, but I doubt they will steal a single legitimate buyer from Alfa. Aside from money being spent for a steering wheel and four rims, the two brands are mutually exclusive.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Aside from money being spent for a steering wheel and four rims, the two brands are mutually exclusive.
I personally don't think that many people would cross shop the two brands either. I know Hyundai builds nice vehicles and they will probably build Genesis into a well regarded luxury brand, but it would take a lot of effort to rival Alfa Romeo's sporting heritage and reputation.

People need to remember that prior to WWII, Alfa Romeo and Bugatti were the premier sporting/luxury brands in the world, bar none. Those were the super cars of the day and were head and shoulders above the competition.

Even today, after Alfa Romeo has been absent from the US market for 20 years, most marques would kill for the type of devoted fan base that Alfa Romeo has. Now they still have to figure out how to convert that enthusiasm to sales and acquire new customers in the process if they want to meet their aggressive US sales goals, but it is a lot less of a challenge than starting with a new brand.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I personally don't think that many people would cross shop the two brands either. I know Hyundai builds nice vehicles and they will probably build Genesis into a well regarded luxury brand, but it would take a lot of effort to rival Alfa Romeo's sporting heritage and reputation.

People need to remember that prior to WWII, Alfa Romeo and Bugatti were the premier sporting/luxury brands in the world, bar none. Those were the super cars of the day and were head and shoulders above the competition.

Even today, after Alfa Romeo has been absent from the US market for 20 years, most marques would kill for the type of devoted fan base that Alfa Romeo has. Now they still have to figure out how to convert that enthusiasm to sales and acquire new customers in the process if they want to meet their aggressive US sales goals, but it is a lot less of a challenge than starting with a new brand.
Totally agree, but the only thing Hyundai has going for it is massive showrooms, service departments, and really deep pockets to create something special...not necessarily with the cars themselves but the ownership experience. Think Lexus spoiling their customers at launch. That lends itself better to large sales volume and heightened customer experience. It's not that an Alfa owner won't be treated special, it's just that if a dealership only had 1-2 trained Alfa mechanics, timeliness of service could suffer (sick days, vacations, quitting, bottlenecks of appt flow, etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts