Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Jay Leno and Donald Osborn discussing Jay's cars at Pebble Beach. Several of the cars were 50 to 100 years old and still running. I got to wondering, will any Giulias (or other current cars) be running 50 years from now?

The main problem would seem to be the electronics in modern cars. What could you do after replacement electronic parts are no longer supplied by the vehicle manufacturer and the salvage yards are stripped bare?

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
We bought a bmw new in 1995, gave it to our grandson when we moved.
other than radiators (and bits), the car was/is fine, so that's 23 years.
I had my Alfa GTV as many years, and the original radiator was 16 when I got the car.

so I think I'm good for my (functioning) lifetime.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Interesting thought.....When I purchased my 64 Giulia Sprint I felt very comfortable regarding the prospect of keeping it "mobile"....105 body cars were relatively popular with similar running gear with many other Alfas...Alfa heads are notorious for being hearty and able to withstand multiple "rebuilds".....and ultimately it is a very simple car....wind up windows, carburetors, no electronic sensors and what have you....so, I think the prospects for that car are greater than my current Giulia.....Never really thought of that...time to snatch up a parts Quadrifoglio !!! :surprise:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ultimately, I think classic car collectors 50 years from now will be faced with replacing the drivetrain due to a lack of electronic spares to operate the systems.

Imagine a 2018 Giulia Quad with a 2068 Prius drivetrain. Oh the horror!

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Ultimately, I think classic car collectors 50 years from now will be faced with replacing the drivetrain due to a lack of electronic spares to operate the systems.

Sadly, that might be grounds for euthanization.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Almost all electronic modules can be repaired. The questions is whether the customer is willing to pay the cost.

For example - a few relays and modules were shared between the Alfa 164 and the Ferrari 355. When one of those relays goes out on a 355, the owner will happily pay $400 to have it repaired, and there are companies that specialize in doing so. With the Alfa the cost is too high compared to the value of the car and such services don't really exist targeted towards the Alfa customer.

·
Registered
187 Posts

year 2068, there will be a drivetrain making no sound and there will be a speaker system to reproduce the Giulia original soundtrack ...

·
Registered
187 Posts
The market will balance it out itself.

If the car is classic and rare, there will be a market for restoration parts/service when it make economical sense to the collector and the business who provide it. With the technology advancing, such as 3D printing become more accessible, new materials, electronics getting cheaper .... I am optimistic in up keeping collectible cars.

There are plenty of good cars but not everyone of them can be collectible. It has to be beauty beyond time. Alfa Romeo has the rich history and caliber to create classic cars and it already made enough of examples.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe there will be a cottage industry emerging and harnessing technology to reproduce the parts...and re-code them too...probably better than original. Today, 3D printing is employed to fabricate parts...we are reusing rocket boosters, we can insert an RF tag in a pet for tracking. I am not worried...there will be a person armed with the technology to reproduce the required parts.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
50 years from now, if I am still around I won't care if it is still running or not..........
What I do care is that now my QV is taking my breath away in the way it handles........ and I haven't taken her to the track yet......

Some people buy cars to put them on a museum hoping for future appreciation, some people buy them to enjoy them to their fullest of potentials now, in the present time....

I belong to the second group.....

We all have only one life to live, make it the best you can when you are still able to.......

·
Registered
202 Posts
**** YA!! :)

Went to the DFW car show and was just commenting how in 50 years the Quad will be in the "classic cars" section.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
50 years from now you might not be able to buy gasoline and you might not be allowed to control your car yourself. Racing/tracking might be entirely different.

Anyway, if there is enough demand I expect that future electronics will be adaptable enough to be able control an "antique" machine. The big issue is if there is enough demand to pay the cost to make it work. Keep in mind that a modern computer can emulate an entirely different 50 year old computer in real time.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It will be around, in the Smithsonian.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It will be around, in the Smithsonian.
Sadly, that's probably about it.

In 1962, the world population was 3 billion. That was after all of history, however long we've been on this planet. 50 years later, in 2012, world population was 7 billion. We more than doubled our population in only 50 years. So if that's what happens starting with 3 billion, what kind of growth will there be starting with 7 billion? In the last 6 years, since 2012, I believe we've already reached 8 billion. If we simply double, which is less an increase than before, that puts us at 16 billion. Imagine double the traffic we have now; maybe even worse depending on where you live.

If the megalomaniacs in power in the world have their way, who are all coincidentally pushing hard to force us into 'autonomous' cars where we have no control (they do), in 50 years you probably won't be able to legally drive yourself on the street in any major city or on any interstate. That will rapidly filter down to local cities and towns. Students won't even know how to drive or be taught how to drive. There won't be any driver's licenses.

50 year old antique cars from the environmentally irresponsible age where people harmed the planet for their own pleasure by driving fossil-fuel cars, will be museum pieces, collector items, and strictly for hobbyists. Finding gas to put in them will not be easy, and probably quite expensive.

Right now is 'the good old days' for cars like these. I'm so glad I got to be alive and enjoy something like this. I won't be alive 50 years from now, but looking into the future... I think I'm the lucky one.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'm betting the enviro movement people will either freeze to death or die of malnutrition as they move to veganism.
of course they could evolve, and hibernate underground in the winter with a stash of nuts or something.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm betting the enviro movement people will either freeze to death or die of malnutrition as they move to veganism.
of course they could evolve, and hibernate underground in the winter with a stash of nuts or something.
They are a stash of nuts. You know that vegan is an old Indian word? It means "bad hunter". :wink2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts