Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
Someone should try to mount this engine into Giulia Quadrifoglio; it should fit directly, however the major difference between the engines lower parts would be dry sump vs wet sump.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
To get this thread back on track.....
No i do not think Nettuno tech will ever make it into an Alfa Romeo. The new management seem to be of the opinion that even Giorgio is "too expensive" for the brand, so i doubt they will even consider a more sophisticated and likely even more expensive technology for the brand. Bean-counters IMHO

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
As I stated before, they do not consider Giorgio too expensive for the brand; that is why next gen Giulia/Stelvio are expected to be build upon STLA Large platform (Giorgio-Evo successor).

However I think they will let the pre-chamber ignition tech exclusive for the Maserati, because it is a more luxurious brand, thus needing some tech to be Maserati-exclusive.

What might happen though is 48V mild hybridization of the 2.9 V6 in Giulia/Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Off topic. Was wondering … “what makes a platform?”

For me:
-wheel base & dimensions
-weight distribution*
-steering ratio*
-power & transmission
*=what matters most to me
Unfortunately, none of that is what automakers use to define a "platform". Because most modern platforms are somewhat modular (sometimes highly modular) and all of those, including even the wheelbase & dimensions, changes, depending on the application.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
However I think they will let the pre-chamber ignition tech exclusive for the Maserati, because it is a more luxurious brand, thus needing some tech to be Maserati-exclusive.

What might happen though is 48V mild hybridization of the 2.9 V6 in Giulia/Stelvio Quadrifoglio.
I too think they will leave the pre-chamber ignition stuff for Maserati, primarily due to cost, but also because of their plans for Alfa Romeo to switch to EV ASAP.

Regarding the 'mild hybrid' stuff.... if Sergio's plans were progressing as planned, i think the extra HP from the 'mild hybrid model' would be likely, however seeing as how the CEO has announced that the Giulia EV will be out in 2024, i doubt they will invest anything into or make any changes to the existing engines and models IMHO.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
No way they are having a new Giulia out in just 2 years, especially not a full EV one (they haven't even re-developed any platform for that yet). More like 25/26 I would say... I think the plan is that all Alfas after 2027 will be EV only, until then we will be getting hybrids, etc... Maybe things changed from the last time I read about it.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
No way they are having a new Giulia out in just 2 years, especially not a full EV one (they haven't even re-developed any platform for that yet). More like 25/26 I would say... I think the plan is that all Alfas after 2027 will be EV only, until then we will be getting hybrids, etc... Maybe things changed from the last time I read about it.

I doubt they will manage to have it ready by 2024 as well, but thats what the CEO has said. So i doubt they will invest anything into current engines/drivetrains/models IMHO

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
Yeah, I have a very hard time believing that (maybe they misinterpreted his statements). The first full EV Alfa should be Alfa Brennero - SUV smaller than Tonale, as far as I know.
The development of the new Giulia and STLA Large are in its infancy at best. The current Giulia wasn't developed in 2 years, and it was one of the fastest developed modern cars ever, with skunkworks team working as fast as possible. So no way we are seeing new Giulia in 2024.

The first face-lifted models of Giulia were produced in December 2021, and first spy shots should hit the internet this month. Face-lift will presumbaly include; Full-LED headlights (similar in style as Tonale), digital display cluster, new infotainment (develped together with Maserati Grecale),.. and probably a couple of other features. How the rear end will change if any, haven't yet been leaked. So Giulia and Stelvio should be good for another 2-3 years, but engines will have to incorporate mild (48V) hybridization to stay competitive. Proper PHEV for Giulia/Stelvio was planned, but canceled, due to too high development costs.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
Yeah, I have a very hard time believing that (maybe they misinterpreted his statements). The first full EV Alfa should be Alfa Brennero - SUV smaller than Tonale, as far as I know.
The development of the new Giulia and STLA Large are in its infancy at best. The current Giulia wasn't developed in 2 years, and it was one of the fastest developed modern cars ever, with skunkworks team working as fast as possible. So no way we are seeing new Giulia in 2024.

The first face-lifted models of Giulia were produced in December 2021, and first spy shots should hit the internet this month. Face-lift will presumbaly include; Full-LED headlights (similar in style as Tonale), digital display cluster, new infotainment (develped together with Maserati Grecale),.. and probably a couple of other features. How the rear end will change if any, haven't yet been leaked. So Giulia and Stelvio should be good for another 2-3 years, but engines will have to incorporate mild (48V) hybridization to stay competitive. Proper PHEV for Giulia/Stelvio was planned, but canceled, due to too high development costs.
I guess we both doubt their ability to meet the 2024 deadline. But think of it from their perspective. If they are convinced and are working towards a 2024 release, why would they approve major changes for the current model? I think the major "facelift" will be reserved for the new Giulia EV model. IMHO

Just theorizing, but I wouldnt be surprised if the original roadmap envisioned a mild-hybrid update as well as a facelift before 2024 (before the plans got scrapped).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

My guess:

2022 Tonale = FCA PHEV (Jeep Wrangler 4xe)
2023 Brennero = PSA e-CMP BEV (Peugeot e-2008 [Not STLA])
2023 Giulia/Stelvio = ICE facelift
2024 Giulia/Stelvio = FCA Mild-Hybrid (no plug) (Grecale) or FCA PHEV (Jeep GC 4xe)
2027 Giulia/Stelvio = STLA-Large BEV + DS siblings

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
I guess we both doubt their ability to meet the 2024 deadline. But think of it from their perspective. If they are convinced and are working towards a 2024 release, why would they approve major changes for the current model? I think the major "facelift" will be reserved for the new Giulia EV model. IMHO

Just theorizing, but I wouldnt be surprised if the original roadmap envisioned a mild-hybrid update as well as a facelift before 2024 (before the plans got scrapped).
MY2023 will actually be a first real FL of Giulia/Stelvio and it is happening by the end of this year. There are leaked internal Stellantis documents pointing towards it. But it will happen after the launch of Tonale, which will mark the start of a new design language for future Alfas. Therefore we will see the integration of Tonale styled headlights into Giulia and Stelvio for MY23, so all Alfas will have unified design language.

The first (production test) models of FL were produced in December 21, so as I sad in my previous post, first spy shots are actually expected in this month. Hopefully. 😅

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My guess for US is simply that the Tonale will come in 2023 and the last year for the Giulia/Stelvio we know will be 2024. I don’t see much further expenditure on any of them. The new products that start rolling in for 2025 and beyond will garner all the investment.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce Q4
129 Posts
Well, let's look at their past performance to try to predict the future. If we look at their product plans since 2014, we can reasonably guess that:

2022 - Tonale
2023 - Nothing
2024 - Nothing
2025 - Minor interior redesign of Tonale and Giulia/Stelvio
2026 - Nothing
2027 - Nothing

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, let's look at their past performance to try to predict the future. If we look at their product plans since 2014, we can reasonably guess that:

2022 - Tonale
2023 - Nothing
2024 - Nothing
2026 - Nothing
2027 - Nothing
That’s a path to oblivion.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

2022 - Tonale
2023 - Nothing
2024 - Nothing
2026 - Nothing
2027 - Nothing
To be fair, they said a new car, each year for the next 5:

2022 - Tonale PHEV
2023 - Giulia/Stelvio facelift & Brennero (not US)
2024 - Tonale PHEV refresh
2025 - Giulia/Stelvio Hybrid
2026 - Brennero refresh (not US)
2027 - STLA Large BEV

Reactions: dwroman55

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce Q4
129 Posts
Refresh 2 years after completely new model introduction?
Not Alfa...

Don't expect refreshes in less than 5 years.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Refresh 2 years after completely new model introduction?
Not Alfa...

Don't expect refreshes in less than 5 years.
I'm just trying to fill in 5 years w/ "new" cars when we know that could just be refreshes or new iterations like the GTA/GTAm or 6C/Junior trims. I don't expect a Duetto or GTV before STLA, so I have crammed everything in.

Then again the Giulia was refreshed after 3 model years...

Giulia 952 MY17 - First NA cars
Giulia 952 MY20 - Refreshed interior

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce Q4
129 Posts
I'm just trying to fill in 5 years w/ "new" cars when we know that could just be refreshes or new iterations like the GTA/GTAm or 6C/Junior trims. I don't expect a Duetto or GTV before STLA, so I have crammed everything in.

Then again the Giulia was refreshed after 3 model years...

Giulia 952 MY17 - First NA cars
Giulia 952 MY20 - Refreshed interior
That wasn't really a refresh. No new fascia. No new engine options. No new trims.

They basically just created the interior they should have at launch, to try and match what the Germans have.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That wasn't really a refresh. No new fascia. No new engine options. No new trims.

They basically just created the interior they should have at launch, to try and match what the Germans have.
That's why it is a refresh and not a facelift. They only fixed the stereo and console.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts