·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Very interesting way to do it. Now, wasn't the MC20 supposed to be an Alfa? Hmm...

Perhaps an adjustment to the 2.9?

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
As we discussed before, this is basically an upgraded version of Alfa 2.9 V6. However it does not seem to sound as good, because of this pre-champer tech...

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
I think, the last time Alfa got something from Maserati was when they built the Alfa Romeo 8C (and the man who was in charge when that happened, is long gone).

Anything Alfa developed/engineered recently, gets poached/transferred to Maserati (MC20, Giorgio(Grecale), while getting axed at Alfa).

Now, i think Alfa can look forward to getting "stuff" from Peugeot. sigh

Thanks Michael Manley! /s

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
It is expected that next gen Giulia/Stelvio and possible larger models and coupes, will use Giorgio Evo platform (named STLA in the foreseeable future). Smaller cars would use PSA platforms indeed; however their current FWD platform is actually really good, one of the better FWD platforms in the business. Definitely better than what underpins Tonale.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It is expected that next gen Giulia/Stelvio and possible larger models and coupes, will use Giorgio Evo platform (named STLA in the foreseeable future). Smaller cars would use PSA platforms indeed; however their current FWD platform is actually really good, one of the better FWD platforms in the business. Definitely better than what underpins Tonale.
STLA is not based on Giorgio. It is brand new.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
As far as I know STLA will be the name of "further evolutionized" Giorgio.
Imperato corrected himself after the wrong satetment he made that Giorgio will be terminated, and that it will in fact be merged into the Stellantis platform naming architecture; therefore STLA.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Imperato corrected himself after the wrong satetment he made that Giorgio will be terminated, and that it will in fact be merged into the Stellantis platform naming architecture; therefore STLA.
That was him trying to not get hung by the Italian unions. He most likely meant that Alfa Link suspension could be used or perhaps he just meant the near-term product (Grecale, GC/GC-L).

STLA is a skateboard chassis built from scratch by Stellantis. Giorgio was written off as obsolete since it can’t handle (cost effectively) a battery electric.

Girorgio cannot be used in the future or else that would go against the accelerated depreciation accounting. They told the IRS and Europeans that that Giorgio assets are worthless.

Giorgio lives on in the Grecale, Grand Cherokee and refreshed Giulia/Stelvio, not future products.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
Of course Giorgio in the current form will not be electrified (only hybridized - Evo version of the platfom), but it will eventually be evolved into STLA; this means that some parts (probably modified) will also come from original Giorgio, and some will of course be completely new. Such progress is both normal and expected.

P. S. This being Alfa; they will probably change plans 5 times until 2030 anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,332 Posts
Off topic. Was wondering … “what makes a platform?”

For me:
-wheel base & dimensions
-weight distribution*
-steering ratio*
-power & transmission
*=what matters most to me

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Can you please share that J/P. Imperato interview (or news) where he corrected himself after the wrong statement he made that the Giorgio Platform will be terminated? We all know that there will be 4 Stellantis Platforms called STLA Small, Medium, Large and Frame and that the current PSA Platforms (PSA EMP1, EMP2, PF1, PF2 and PF3) will also migrate to the 4 Stellantis Platforms. It would be great news that the Giorgio Platform will not be terminated but it will in fact be merged into the Stellantis platform naming architecture (STLA)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That was him trying to not get hung by the Italian unions. He most likely meant that Alfa Link suspension could be used or perhaps he just meant the near-term product (Grecale, GC/GC-L).

STLA is a skateboard chassis built from scratch by Stellantis. Giorgio was written off as obsolete since it can’t handle (cost effectively) a battery electric.

Girorgio cannot be used in the future or else that would go against the accelerated depreciation accounting. They told the IRS and Europeans that that Giorgio assets are worthless.

Giorgio lives on in the Grecale, Grand Cherokee and refreshed Giulia/Stelvio, not future products.
Perhaps, Giorgio will be written off as obsolete since it can’t handle a battery electric, unless they go to Hybrid instead of 100% EV, I guess. That would be tremendous news.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Of course Giorgio in the current form will not be electrified (only hybridized - Evo version of the platfom), but it will eventually be evolved into STLA; this means that some parts (probably modified) will also come from original Giorgio, and some will of course be completely new. Such progress is both normal and expected.

P. S. This being Alfa; they will probably change plans 5 times until 2030 anyway.
One thing is a fact, although some still don't get it. The future four STLA Platforms are new platforms, to be made from current platforms adapted and merged to those STLAs. I thought Giorgio Platform was being discontinued and would migrate to one of the STLA Platform. It is also a fact the the current PSA platforms, where Peugeot and Citroen are built (PSA EMP1, PSA EMP2, PSA PF1, PSA PF2 and PSA PF3) will migrate to the new STLA Platforms so, in any case the future Alfa Romeo's will certainty not be Peugeot's or Citroen's.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great platform discussion, folks. Are any of them wearing an Alfa badge likely to see an engine that uses Nettuno Technology?

Reactions: beaups

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Azure Blue Aqua Font Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY18
91 Posts
I have to correct myself; I did not mean STLA, but STLA Large, meaning that Giorgio platform will be converted/reworked/remade into STLA Large. Other (smaller) STLA platforms will come from current FWD PSA platforms.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have to correct myself; I did not mean STLA, but STLA Large, meaning that Giorgio platform will be converted/reworked/remade into STLA Large.
I know there are reports that he walked back his statement about Giorgio being dead. But think about it, why would you take an existing chassis and squeeze a skateboard battery pack and continue to place other components in places required by an ICE platform when you have the opportunity to start from a blank page, with a flat chassis that can hold everything in an efficient manner, allow for more interior space/storage capacity and support a body in a shape that you decide...not based on the past.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Maybe Klaus will sign a future Alfa Romeo...

MC20:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gear shift Hood

1 - 20 of 71 Posts