Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from AT&T "congratulating" me on my new (2021) Giulia and asking me to sign up to activate the Wifi hotspot in the car. The email had my name, car model, and VIN all correct. However I can't find any documentation that says the car even has a wifi hotspot or how to control it (not shown in the manual or the "infotainment" windows). I don't really need a wifi hotspot in the car, so I don't care much -- but I would like to know the correct information about my car. Anyone know if there's really a hotspot installed, or is this just AT&T doing crazy stuff? TIA // Pete

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I got an email from AT&T "congratulating" me on my new (2021) Giulia and asking me to sign up to activate the Wifi hotspot in the car. The email had my name, car model, and VIN all correct. However I can't find any documentation that says the car even has a wifi hotspot or how to control it (not shown in the manual or the "infotainment" windows). I don't really need a wifi hotspot in the car, so I don't care much -- but I would like to know the correct information about my car. Anyone know if there's really a hotspot installed, or is this just AT&T doing crazy stuff? TIA // Pete
Look in the Infotainment Guide manual. I didn’t bother to activate mine. I did activate Alfa Connect since it is a one year trial. Took about 30 mins on the phone, and now that I have it I can say it has nothing very useful for me personally.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,083 Posts
Silly me, but what is the point of Wifi built into your car? Wouldn't using the hotspot that is built into your phone work better, allow economic upgrading when needed, allow selection of the carrier (e.g. I have 0 ATT service in my area), etc? OTA updates might be viable with a cell network connection, although then your car is open to hacking and random changes in functionality.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It's for a way for them to make you pay for their connected services.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, all. To answer the obvious question, we have a hotspot in my wife's car and the only advantage of it is that the hotspot is on Verizon and our phones are on T-Mobile. There are a few spots along I-95 and in the Blue Ridge mountains where VZ works and T-Mo doesn't, or the other way around. So having a second source of connectivity is a convenience.
More specifically, though, if the car has the function I ought to at least know how to find it and activate it. That's just the core responsibility of an owner. Having a car with a capability that you don't know about ... whether you use it or not .. is just not the way that I work.
That said, @wingler I appreciate the annotation on the Infotainment manual. But darned if I can find how to activate the service through the Alfa Connect app, the Alfa Connect website, or the "My AlfaRomeo" app (iOS versions). I guess I'll have to call AT&T to find out. The link to the website fails every time. <sigh>

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Thanks for the information, all. To answer the obvious question, we have a hotspot in my wife's car and the only advantage of it is that the hotspot is on Verizon and our phones are on T-Mobile. There are a few spots along I-95 and in the Blue Ridge mountains where VZ works and T-Mo doesn't, or the other way around. So having a second source of connectivity is a convenience.
More specifically, though, if the car has the function I ought to at least know how to find it and activate it. That's just the core responsibility of an owner. Having a car with a capability that you don't know about ... whether you use it or not .. is just not the way that I work.
That said, @wingler I appreciate the annotation on the Infotainment manual. But darned if I can find how to activate the service through the Alfa Connect app, the Alfa Connect website, or the "My AlfaRomeo" app (iOS versions). I guess I'll have to call AT&T to find out. The link to the website fails every time. <sigh>
When I called to activate AlfaConnect I believe they provided instructions on enabling the WiFi from AT&T, but at that point I just wanted to get off the phone and wasn’t really listening. It took forever for them to enable AlfaConnect and try to talk me into providing my credit card information so I would get a better deal than subscribing when the complimentary service expired in a year! By that time they had told me the service was around $25/mo and I was trying not to laugh before I hung up.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,083 Posts
It's for a way for them to make you pay for their connected services.
Lighten the car by lightening your wallet?

There used to be a section of 395 that had better ATT service than VZ, but the Slink Fire damaged the ATT facility and they have not bothered to repair it (about 9 months later now).
Personally, I found ATT service maps to be grossly inaccurate but VZ service maps to be remarkably accurate. VZ considers local topology while ATT does not. I also suspect that VZ considers local topology in deciding on the placement of their facilities, while ATT does not.

I am in a T-mobile black hole. They don't claim to have service anywhere near here.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Price to performance.

Reactions: Wobu

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
136 Posts
Connected Services>WiFi>How to Purchase

Or is this not what you are looking for?

this is in a 2020. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
136 Posts
does that give you access to the one month free trial service?
I did not try. Can take a look later when I get home. Almost 90 degrees out. Just thought I’d look real quick when as I’d just parked at the office. Was actually looking for “over the air” update option. Found “update software” option but I wanted me to insert a USB. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
136 Posts
Accidental double post.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI with Active Suspension.
46 Posts
I think I had to call them to set up Sirius Guardian, and when I did, they tried to sell me on the wifi hot spot. I declined. They use AT&T, which is my carrier, so I saw no benefit. Even if it were a different carrier, If I am in an area without AT&T service, chances are good that no one else will have service either.

As for Sirius Guardian, when the free trial is over, I am not going to renew it. I really don't see the point, it basically has the same functions as the key fob, + the ability to track location. I suppose it would be useful if your kids were driving your car so you could keep tabs on them, but that's not my situation. In the unlikely event that someone steals my car, I can always turn Guardian back on to track it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. Thanks for all the great information! Haven't been able to check in for a day or so ... the painter is here for the Living Room. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, as they say.

I never thought to look under the "Connected Services" menu. Thought that would only be a call function, not anything else. That's what I get for assuming.

I called AT&T direct and turned on the 3 month / 1GB of data trial plan. I will see how it goes! (Have to go to the grocery store this afternoon. Great excuse for a ride in the Giulia!)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
459 Posts
Not p omoting this or anything but if the kids in the backseat have tablets or whatever they can hook up and watch Netflix . Agree its another take money from the consumer thing . You canbusutbwas easily hotspot your phone

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
136 Posts
Not p omoting this or anything but if the kids in the backseat have tablets or whatever they can hook up and watch Netflix . Agree its another take money from the consumer thing . You canbusutbwas easily hotspot your phone
Agreed! I already pay $80/mo to ATT for the largest plan with tethering... don’t see the need for paying for it so they can connect to the car instead of my phone personally. Kid hauling is what the wife’s “mommy missile” is for anyways. I like my cars to stay clean.

I do see the potential benefit if you have another carrier who you know will cover a dead spot for your current carrier on a daily commute... but even then... $240+ a year seems pretty steep unless you REALLY need that connectivity 100% I’d the way. Maybe I’m just cheap. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 24 Posts