Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got to replace my rubber, I don’t mind the P Zero Corsas, but I want to give something else a try…

I’d like a bit better rear grip, so I’ve been assuming wider on the rear, and wider on the front as well just to keep them evenly offset? I’ll be honest though, im

On the stock rims CAN you go wider with the tire? 255/295?

Is it worth messing with?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I’ve got to replace my rubber, I don’t mind the P Zero Corsas, but I want to give something else a try…

I’d like a bit better rear grip, so I’ve been assuming wider on the rear, and wider on the front as well just to keep them evenly offset? I’ll be honest though, im

you can run 295/255 no issues.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,419 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I run 255/295 PS4S on my 2017 with no issues. That said, now that the PS4S is available in the stock size, my next set of tires will be the PS4S in the factory sizes. For the width of the rim, I feel like anything I gained from 10mm more tire was given up to movement of the rims within the tire before the tire reacts (hopefully that makes sense). The good news for us is that since tires only seem to last 8-10,000 miles, you aren't stuck with a tire you don't love for very long...

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts

What type of better grip do you want? Wider tires with same diameter gives you more potential lateral grip, not longitudinal grip. Same width, larger diameter gets you more longitudinal grip.

Reactions: Avnyc11

·
Registered
553 Posts
Same width, larger diameter gets you more longitudinal grip.
Does it? I always thought that regardless of the diameter, if it's the same width, the contact patch, which is the part that touches the ground and generates traction, is the same size. I thought that larger diameter just means a longer distance before the same part of the tire touches the ground.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,423 Posts
Does it? I always thought that regardless of the diameter, if it's the same width, the contact patch, which is the part that touches the ground and generates traction, is the same size. I thought that larger diameter just means a longer distance before the same part of the tire touches the ground.
It does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changing the total diameter would affect traction control and speedo readings though no? Honestly I was hoping for a bit more traction of both dimensions, both laterally and longitudinally, driving out of a corner harder without slip.

But it sounds like it’s generally ok to go wider, the question becomes if the benefit of the wider rubber on the ground is somewhat negated by the flex in the fat rubber on narrow rim? I’ll be honest, I’m far from a track pro, but since I’m swapping rubber now, I really just want to see if it’s worth making the change to wider, if there’s any actual performance gain at all.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
Changing the total diameter would affect traction control and speedo readings though no? Honestly I was hoping for a bit more traction of both dimensions, both laterally and longitudinally, driving out of a corner harder without slip.

But it sounds like it’s generally ok to go wider, the question becomes if the benefit of the wider rubber on the ground is somewhat negated by the flex in the fat rubber on narrow rim? I’ll be honest, I’m far from a track pro, but since I’m swapping rubber now, I really just want to see if it’s worth making the change to wider, if there’s any actual performance gain at all.
YOu are able to impart more pressure/weight on a tire when cornering and therefor wider tires are great. If you were only worrying about straight line grip, diameter and tire compound are your choices.

Do it!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got 255/295 with bright tecnico with 15mm spacers in all corners with ST lowering springs.
Only rubs with full turn going reverse, but nothing too serious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts