Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order a euro side mirror for the driver's side. The mirrors they install for North America market cars are conforming to the regulations that don't allow convex glass. The euro ones are much better. I found the euro part number 71779372. Where can I order this from europe and have it shipped to USA?

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case anybody's interested, I found a place in the UK that can order factory parts and ship them to the US. Prices are reasonable and delivery times are reasonable (about a two weeks). They seem very professional.
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/

About the wide view mirror - The Giulia mirrors are small and the USA version leaves a blind spot even when adjusted properly. The euro version is slightly more convex than the USA version. For me it's worth it since every day I have to merge onto a 4-lane highway and I need to move quickly to the left-most passing lane >:) The blind spot monitoring helps, but I like to have visual assurance that there's nobody to my left.
On BMW's the euro mirrors are even more convex and can resolve blind spots even two lanes over.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
How much were the mirrors shipped? Love to have that. Right now i have the stick on circles on my mirrors. Functional but pretty dorky.

·
Registered
647 Posts
..... The Giulia mirrors are small and the USA version leaves a blind spot even when adjusted properly .....
Sorry, but I must politely disagree. I am a former US Army Military Police Officer and also driving safety officer for a huge government entity with many vehicles. I have taught many driving safety classes. You won't find the info below in many tutorials, almost all who preach the ubiquitous but unnecessary blind spot.

When properly adjusted, an exercise very few drivers know about, there is no blind spot for the next lane over on either side of the car.

The basic principle explained in simple terms is that as a car approaches and passes you from the rear at a slightly higher speed, it will appear in the rear view mirror, then the outside mirror and then in your peripheral vision without ever leaving your sight. This is a gradual visual flow from the rear mirror to the side mirror to your peripheral vision. This takes a little practice to carefully adjust the mirrors, but works great on any car I have ever driven. The little Oval Convex Stick-On mirrors are never needed, except for bus, trucks, etc. Many OEM mirrors are slightly convex.

The secret. If you can see the sides of your car in your normal driving position, then you have the mirrors in too far! Why do you need to see the sides of your car, you don't. The rear view mirror is for seeing way behind your car.

A good way to begin is to rest your head against the drivers window still looking straight ahead. Now set the driver's side mirror so you now can barely see the side of your car. When you move your body back to the normal driving position you will now have the correct mirror angle for the driver's side mirror. For the passenger side mirror move your body so that your head is directly above the center console. Again now adjust the right side mirror so you can barely see the right side of the car. It is now properly adjusted. It might take you awhile to get used to this, but has saved me a number of lane change accidents in the past. Obvioulsy in heavy traffic I might also turn my head to make sure someone two lands away doesn't suddenly veer over.

To test for proper adjustment. Be in the middle lane with traffic on both sides of you. When traffic is light pick a car that is slowly gaining on you on either side. Way back it will be in your rear view mirror, as it gets closer it will eventually disappear from the rear mirror and slowly transfers to the side mirror and then as it disappears from the side mirror it will easily be in your peripheral vision with only having to turn your head slightly mainly just your eyes. The transition from the rear mirror/side mirror/side vision will be a smooth flow while never losing sight of the vehicle. As it almost disappears from the rear mirror it already has begun to appear in the side mirror, etc.

If you take some time and patience you will find this really works for one lane over vision with no blind spots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, but I must politely disagree. I am a former US Army Military Police Officer and also driving safety officer for a huge government entity with many vehicles. I have taught many driving safety classes. You won't find the info below in many tutorials, almost all who preach the ubiquitous but unnecessary blind spot...
I agree, whenever I get into a car I'm amazed how far in people have their mirrors turned, they are useless. Heck then you find out that most people don't even USE their mirror which is scarier but unfortunately true. I suppose I was lucky getting trained in a smaller rural community where they actually took the time to teach properly.

That being said I do think there is value in a wide view mirror, but if people can't even use a flat mirror it makes sense that the wide angle mirrors aren't available on US cars.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
647 Posts
Besides cars, I have driven straight trucks, 60' articulated buses and tractor-trailer rigs. In the large vehicles a separate wide angel mirror below the standard mirror is essential for safe driving.

However, on a car the stick on convex mirrors actually partially block the view on the main mirror and would be better slightly below the main mirror but that is not an option. Some folks still like them and have learned to be extra careful. As we know some car come with slightly convex side mirrors and hence the ubiquitous in some countries "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

Be careful boys and girls, È una giungla là fuori! :grin2:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the biggest problem with mirrors is they make some people forget their head is mounted on a swivel.
as a motorcyclist I really don't like the "blind spot" phrase, as it usually means someone didn't bother to look.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much were the mirrors shipped? Love to have that. Right now i have the stick on circles on my mirrors. Functional but pretty dorky.
The driver's side was 110 British pound shipped. This is for the version with the blind spot detection light.

As I said, it was worth it for me. Others who may have more skill than I in adjusting the mirrors may not find it worthwhile ;)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
the biggest problem with mirrors is they make some people forget their head is mounted on a swivel.
as a motorcyclist I really don't like the "blind spot" phrase, as it usually means someone didn't bother to look.
I tend to agree but one peculiarity of the Giulia’s design and B pillar placement means that when I swivel my head I am staring right at that B pillar so I have to crane my neck really far around and then put my head to the side glass to cover all the spots. I’ve gotten used to it but the euro mirror might improve things. A wider field of view in the mirror can’t hurt?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The driver's side was 110 British pound shipped. This is for the version with the blind spot detection light.

As I said, it was worth it for me. Others who may have more skill than I in adjusting the mirrors may not find it worthwhile ;)
Just how hard is is to install the mirror?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
I tend to agree but one peculiarity of the Giulia’s design and B pillar placement means that when I swivel my head I am staring right at that B pillar so I have to crane my neck really far around and then put my head to the side glass to cover all the spots. I’ve gotten used to it but the euro mirror might improve things. A wider field of view in the mirror can’t hurt?
There is one turn I make regularly where this is a particular problem. I deal with this by adjusting the driver-side mirror outward, achieving the convex effect.

I have a vague memory of a mirror that was flat inboard and convex outboard (it's entirely possible that I saw it outside the US). Seemed to make sense, even if not DOT-legal.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"the giulia's design and B pillar"

I agree with you on this completely. First time I sat it one I thought the cars weak point was outward visibility, and not just the B pillar & mirror.
Like most things, one can get used to it, but if I wasn't getting a stelvio I'd be getting the mirror(s).
The big offenders for not looking are usually people in little quick cars, like rabbit/golf thingys.
Anybody who has observed a semi-trailer truck backing into a difficult spot knows their mirrors are pretty big and cover close to the vehicle quite well.
Having spent lots of time in vans, and lots of time pulling/parking a boat on trailer, I like big mirrors. yes, they create their own "blind spot", but that always bothered me less than big A pillars, or steeply raked ones. That's my cheap excuse for not driving a Lamborghini.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The glass pops out with gentle prying. There are two connectors and two wires to disconnect and reconnect on the new glass. Then you align the metal tabs on the new glass and press firmly all around applying equal pressure from opposing sides of the glass. Takes about 10 minutes.

Just a warning though. There is not a dramatic difference. It’s not more convex on the outer edge like other euro mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I must need more than just the mirrors, I can’t find them on the link you posted. By chance can you post the direct link? I am very intersex in these.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I must need more than just the mirrors, I can’t find them on the link you posted. By chance can you post the direct link? I am very intersex in these.
The link I posted is just the website of the supplier. You have to send them email and ask for a quote for the specific part number.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
By sitting close enough to the steering wheel to have proper control of the vehicle I find that the B pillar is not in my line of sight. OTOH, the driver's side rear view mirror blocks my forward view when turning left. There is a big enough blind spot to be concerned about hitting fast moving pedestrians or wrong-way bicyclists.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
The glass pops out with gentle prying. There are two connectors and two wires to disconnect and reconnect on the new glass. Then you align the metal tabs on the new glass and press firmly all around applying equal pressure from opposing sides of the glass. Takes about 10 minutes.

Just a warning though. There is not a dramatic difference. It’s not more convex on the outer edge like other euro mirrors.

Would you be willing to post a picture? Would it show as different?

My biggest conplaint with visibility in this car ( read almost accidents) is with cross traffic going from right to left that gets momentarily hidden by the combo of the passenger A pillar and the huge body of the passenger side mirror. You can hide an entire car in that space and i can't figure out a driving position that resolves this. Basically it's now my method to peer around both sides of the Apillar/mirror before advancing. Miss the simple clean lines of my 69 spider....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.