Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a year of regrets on buying a TI Sport instead of the Quad I wanted I traded the 19 Ti sport for a 18 Quad. There are more than a few signs the previous owner enjoyed the car like when I dropped the rear underpanel and and a pound of gravel came out but something I missed when I was looking the car over was this
why would they cut the dampeners? Obviously they weren’t very skilled and wiring them back together is nothing more than cheap ass electric tape and wires twisted underneath it.
It looks like he/she did some other under the hood mods but Managed to return most of the stuff back to where it belongs

thanks

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Coilover kits rarely have dynamic adjusting shocks and need the electrical load that the shock presents to be replaced with a resistor. Maybe the previous owner installed such a change, then undid it?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The gravel issue is normal and is a design quirk.

The crappy wiring is obviously due to an alien abduction and dissection to harness the human technology.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dude! I noticed the exact same thing in one of my damper wires. Just one though, the other is normal.
Those wires look flimsy, maybe some careless mechanic ripped it by accident.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
233 Posts
I would peel that tape back and check those connections. If they were poorly done redo them or if you don't feel comfortable then have someone you trust do them. Bad connections can cause problems in the future and in the worst case damage to the electronics.

·
Vendor
2,790 Posts
So after a year of regrets on buying a TI Sport instead of the Quad I wanted I traded the 19 Ti sport for a 18 Quad. There are more than a few signs the previous owner enjoyed the car like when I dropped the rear underpanel and and a pound of gravel came out but something I missed when I was looking the car over was this View attachment 109873 why would they cut the dampeners? Obviously they weren’t very skilled and wiring them back together is nothing more than cheap ass electric tape and wires twisted underneath it.
It looks like he/she did some other under the hood mods but Managed to return most of the stuff back to where it belongs

thanks

This is normal from the factory who makes the shocks, ZF made in Germany.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It could be that they put a coil over/aftermarket system or most likely different coils on there and when they pulled it off/on they did not have the right slotted socket to properly pull these off with an impact wrench and just cut wires and retaped.
When you want to take the coils off there's a special slotted socket that allows the cable to sit. Its a weird socket that the mechanic (if its a QV most likely a lazy mechanic under the gun to get'r done and move onto the next project) probably did not want to wait the day or 3 to get the tool in and do it right.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you see cut and twisted wires beneath or just assume from the tape? My Q2 has tape in a similar spot on both sides where the wires are clamped down, probably by factory for protection on what would be flimsy wires precariously bent under a clamp. I think alfissimo's photo is proof of the factory tape. Probably no shenanigans unless yours are cut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol, I did not peel the tape back and look, I never thought a factory would send something out looking like the 1970’s Opel my brother and I wired together while in high school. That is a project for the week end. this is an Ohio car if any one recognizes it... let me know.

I‘ll update everyone Saturday or Sunday after I peel the tape back

·
Registered
732 Posts
this indeed is the factory finish for 17 and 18. QV, Ti Perf Pkg, Q2. worry not.

Jason is correct.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The first time I saw it on mine, it reminded me of an old honda I had with flip up headlights. One of the bulb harnesses had a cut wire and I used only a splice connector and electrical tape to keep it together. Needless to say, it would always fail after a while from all the flipping stress on it and my shoddy repair job, and it was a pain to cram my hands back their among sharp metal to repair it. Ah, painful memories, but hopefully these don't see as much abuse.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
233 Posts
Lol, I did not peel the tape back and look, I never thought a factory would send something out looking like the 1970’s Opel my brother and I wired together while in high school. That is a project for the week end. this is an Ohio car if any one recognizes it... let me know.

I‘ll update everyone Saturday or Sunday after I peel the tape back
LOL you should see some of the factory wiring from my 91 164 if you think this is bad.

I always say my 164 was built on a Friday afternoon, by 3 paesans on their 4th glass of Chianti.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
452 Posts
Surprised that's from ZF. When I opened the hood on the Giulia I was surprised at some of the primitive wiring compared to any other car I've owned since 1990 lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts