Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Have you had your Giulia's windows tinted?

• Yes

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 37.5%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious why so many Giulia owners have had window tint applied. I have never felt the need for it and don't like driving near cars with tinted windows because I cannot get cues from observing their driver.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I tint every car.

It is much cooler to do so in Florida, and I don't want to be observed.
Cooler temperature wise or status wise?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I very much dislike tints, I want to be able to see a persons eyes, they tell me a lot about if they're going to pull out in front of me, etc.

Plus it's like you're trying to hide something and it's unsafe for the police.

I could care less about being observed.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I very much dislike tints, I want to be able to see a persons eyes, they tell me a lot about if they're going to pull out in front of me, etc.

Plus it's like you're trying to hide something and it's unsafe for the police.

I could care less about being observed.
Agreed. I have little expectation of privacy in my car (and not much elsewhere).

I wonder whether there's any correlation between window tinting and police shootings. What they can't see must raise their anxiety level.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my windows tinted in llumar air 80 it's almost clear with very slight blue tint to go with my blue Giulia. I did it just to cut down some southern California heat and avoid getting tickets.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you are worried about the odds of getting shot by the police in your car, you probably shouldn't look up auto fatality statistics. Rule #1 of any traffic stop, roll your windows down.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my windows tinted in llumar air 80 it's almost clear with very slight blue tint to go with my blue Giulia. I did it just to cut down some southern California heat and avoid getting tickets.
You've piqued my curiosity. How does window tint help avoid getting tickets?

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are worried about the odds of getting shot by the police in your car, you probably shouldn't look up auto fatality statistics. Rule #1 of any traffic stop, roll your windows down.
My understanding is only windows where there are occupants apply. Equally important is turning off the car and keeping hands visible (preferably on the steering wheel).

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: Jimbo912

·
Registered
482 Posts
My understanding is only windows where there are occupants apply. Equally important is turning off the car and keeping hands visible (preferably on the steering wheel).
I always roll down the back so they can see me on approach. Those others too, yes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I should have been more clear. I meant to say getting light tint in the front windows can avoid getting pulled over. CA law makes it illegal to have front windows lower than 70 light transmission rate.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
My car is rosso competizione with dark tele-dial wheels. By lightly tinting the windows, it added a fairly dramatic effect to the car's look. The wheel color, more or less, now matches the windows.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My car is rosso competizione with dark tele-dial wheels. By lightly tinting the windows, it added a fairly dramatic effect to the car's look. The wheel color, more or less, now matches the windows.
Would you be willing to post a picture of this?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I should have been more clear. I meant to say getting light tint in the front windows can avoid getting pulled over. CA law makes it illegal to have front windows lower than 70 light transmission rate.
3M now makes a 90% light transmission film that reflects about 40% of solar heat. I believe this is similar to the IR windshield option on Giulia, but it can be applied to the other glass and is a lot less expensive. I may have convinced myself to have this installed rather than messing with other heat and UV control measures.

I drive a lot at night, so I cannot tolerate noticeable loss of light transmission through my windows.

I believe that the Ti gets you "sound control" glass, which I think also blocks UV. "Sound control glass" (I presume this means laminated) is heavy and extremely difficult to break. Don't lock yourself out or miss a turn and crash into a river or lake...

For reference, in my Mazda I cover the rear deck with towels that match the interior color of the car. After about 14 years the cotton towels had completely disintegrated from the UV exposure. However, the deck and rear seat backs still look like new.

One downside with film tinting is that it can get scratched and even very slight scratching will cause glare problems when the sun hits it "just right". I can barely see out some of the windows of my backhoe as a result. The film can be removed and replaced, but that can be a lot of work, especially with all the crazy positioned windows in a backhoe.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have my Mazda 3 limo-tinted all around (5%, super illegal) and honestly it's just incredibly inconvenient at night. When I lived in Las Vegas though, the tinted windows were life savers. In gloomy Washington state? Not so much. I'm planning to tint my QV windows to 25% when I get it. Personally I like how it looks and I like the small semblance of privacy, plus the heat and glare control.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are numerous benefits to tinting like privacy and heat reduction, but the primary reason I got my driver's side and front passenger windows tinted is because they don't match the rear passenger windows (which have privacy glass)! A quick Google of the QV will really highlight this.

The car side-on now looks in harmony, much better aesthetically along with the tint benefits.

I got my tint to basically match the side-rear, you can still see out easily.

·
Registered
658 Posts
First car I have ever tinted the windows on. Went with Spectra Photosync in a very light tint but got 99% UV reduction and 98% Infa Red reduction.

What I wanted was to minimize the fading in the interior due, to UV it was on my mind because I had been fixing up the 13 year old car the Giulia replaced.
What I have been surprised by is just how effective the IR filter is, the Giulia is noticeable cooler inside after having been parked at work. The AC cools it just about instantly and runs on low fan on even hot days. And driving on the highway when the sun is coming in the side windows is much more comfortable because you aren't getting hit with all the IR.

No noticeable impact on driving at night. Only a small appearance change from outside. Will definitely get this type of film again and may have it put on our other car.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts