Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving in Race mode for the majority of spirited driving, the limitations of D mode are glaring, especially in first gear. Throttle output seems at most 2/3 that of Race. And it’s not because of traction limits since more power in Race will still maintain traction under similar conditions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would love to know the logic behind it too. I have found if you're in race, and return to D, the next few seconds in D it's still a rocket. Also, seems to give you more power when your front wheels are straight, tells me the traction control is based on steering input too. When you're tyres are warm though, D is less limiting as well. Maybe the traction control is that smart?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The power limit is only on 1st and 2nd gear. It’s dogshit for sure. The traction control system in the qv is very minimal and outdated, so cutting power in the first 2 gears is basically their version of traction control. After the first 2 gears tho it moves just like in race.... until you lose traction that it just cuts power. Best bet is learn how to control it in race mode lol

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Speaking of the traction control system, I'm wondering if race mode turns off traction control. I was reading the manual and I know race mode has the ESC off light illuminated, and the manual says that the the ESC light flashes when either ESC or TC kick in, so it leads me to believe that race disables TC too. But I swear I've read the opposite on this forum.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The power limit is only on 1st and 2nd gear. It’s dogshit for sure. The traction control system in the qv is very minimal and outdated, so cutting power in the first 2 gears is basically their version of traction control. After the first 2 gears tho it moves just like in race.... until you lose traction that it just cuts power. Best bet is learn how to control it in race mode lol
Actually I think it's one of the most modern, largely handled by the ABS system ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Speaking of the traction control system, I'm wondering if race mode turns off traction control. I was reading the manual and I know race mode has the ESC off light illuminated, and the manual says that the the ESC light flashes when either ESC or TC kick in, so it leads me to believe that race disables TC too. But I swear I've read the opposite on this forum.
The lights during intervention don't work, despite the manual. In race mode TC is off and ESC intervention is reduced but not off, also despite the manual.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The lights during intervention don't work, despite the manual. In race mode TC is off and ESC intervention is reduced but not off, also despite the manual.
That's a shame. It'd be nice to know when the car is saving my ass. But it's good to know about ESC and TC

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also, seems to give you more power when your front wheels are straight, tells me the traction control is based on steering input too.
This is common. My last car (Mazdaspeed3) had a steering wheel angle sensor that limited boost to 8psi (from factory 15psi) if there was more than 10 degrees of steering input.

The power limit is only on 1st and 2nd gear. It’s dogshit for sure. The traction control system in the qv is very minimal and outdated.
It's not out-dated, it's the opposite, using advanced boost control. My former car had the same thing: 1st gear: 10psi. 2nd gear: 12psi. 3rd-6th gear: full 15psi.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The power limits in 1st and 2nd are there to keep owners from breaking expensive driveline parts.... and the traction control is not very minimal and out dated...., quite the contrary, its very sophisticated and modern.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The power limits in 1st and 2nd are there to keep owners from breaking expensive driveline parts.... and the traction control is not very minimal and out dated...., quite the contrary, its very sophisticated and modern.
The Q4 system is fantastic!. But the Quadrifoglio Q2 is nothing special... I drive my qv a lot and I see nothing sophisticated or special about it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Definitely agree the esp is not very advanced. Boost by gear is enabled due to difficulty with getting stability control to do its job at full power. Stock esp is the main complaint on the 2.0l in professional testing too and literally why the car did so poorly on the slalom, figure 8, and skid pad compared to others yet the professional drivers said the numbers dont do the car justice because the handling is sublime its just the esp holds the car back so much at the limits.

Drive a porsche in sport plus mode and you can kick the tail end out and bring it back in with the most gentle of intervention that goes all but unnoticed. Kick the tail out cornering in the giulia in dynamic mode and the throttle plate slams shut and stops the car until the slide stops almost stopping you in your tracks.

This is the reason we have dozens of people engaging race mode in the 2.0l and tge reason ill need to if i want to autocross. The car will not be competitive at all with stock esp sytems as they are.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have to admit defeat on this as I have never owned nor driven a QV...but I will say that on paper, the system looks quite advanced..:)
The system does work pretty well, but perhaps has been programmed too aggressively. Apply maximum throttle in a tight circle in D mode and the car will modulate power very elegantly - it will not cut it completely.

The issue is that something in the programming is limiting power LONG before the traction limit is reached when on a straight. The difference in responsiveness leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with traction at all - they just cut the power application across all RPMs and gears in D.

Super frustrating. But thankfully there is Race mode.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The system does work pretty well, but perhaps has been programmed too aggressively. Apply maximum throttle in a tight circle in D mode and the car will modulate power very elegantly - it will not cut it completely.

The issue is that something in the programming is limiting power LONG before the traction limit is reached when on a straight. The difference in responsiveness leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with traction at all - they just cut the power application across all RPMs and gears in D.

Super frustrating. But thankfully there is Race mode.
This was a big pet peeve of mine and why I did the ESC Arduino project. D mode was pretty lame in low gears and being forced to disable TC/ESC to get power in 1st and 2nd gear seems illogical.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
This was a big pet peeve of mine and why I did the ESC Arduino project. D mode was pretty lame in low gears and being forced to disable TC/ESC to get power in 1st and 2nd gear seems illogical.

another reason they should have in house tuning. Would be extra revenue for sure and easier to sell these cars. Seems easy enough to appeal to potential buyers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found your thread on this. Did anyone turn it into an officially supported tune?

·
Registered
192 Posts
After driving in Race mode for the majority of spirited driving, the limitations of D mode are glaring, especially in first gear. Throttle output seems at most 2/3 that of Race. And it’s not because of traction limits since more power in Race will still maintain traction under similar conditions.
For a normal driving I use Dynamic mode. Race seems a little excessive in normal driving, and not really necessary once you're going at speed, but for extra fun and exhaust sounds I use Race. I get about 14.1 MPG in Dynamic--how much does driving in Race mode all the time reduce the MPG?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a normal driving I use Dynamic mode. Race seems a little excessive in normal driving, and not really necessary once you're going at speed, but for extra fun and exhaust sounds I use Race. I get about 14.1 MPG in Dynamic--how much does driving in Race mode all the time reduce the MPG?
12 mpg

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
12? I checked last weekend and got 16 in race

1 - 20 of 22 Posts