Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about this, the belt seems to be the same as what every other manufacturer uses. And these typically go 100K miles between replacements. Or at least 60K miles. Is the underhood temperature particularly high possibly? I can't imagine any other reason, though even high temps are not exclusive to Alfa QV's.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that it is a high performance car, but the load on the accessory drive belt is about the same as any other car - just parasitic losses from the water pump, alternator and AC compressor. Lots of small-displacement engine cars get operated in the higher RPM zones for at least as much as the typical QV, yet they don't have such short lifespans for the belt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wondered this myself as well. In the environment I live in (hot and dusty) I think they actually recommend every 2 or 3 years which definitely seems to be a little overkill. I really wouldn’t see any warranty issues with not replacing it per the recommendation unless you were to experience the misfortune of it breaking and taking out another component with it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I replaced mine at 30k miles. It showed no wear or cracks. What’s the worse that could happen? It snaps and a light comes on and you get the car towed to a dealer to have the belt done. No chance of permanent damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Pretty sure someone has a Kevlar belt out for QV that’s supposed to last double the OEM. I know when I replaced mine the old one was 1-1/2” longer than the new one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I replaced mine at 30k miles. It showed no wear or cracks. What’s the worse that could happen? It snaps and a light comes on and you get the car towed to a dealer to have the belt done. No chance of permanent damage.

Sometimes when a belt breaks it can get caught or wrapped around any number of things such as the alternator or A/C compressor. I’ve even seen a belt get wrapped around the back of the harmonic balancer and take out a crankshaft seal. So, yeah, most of the time nothing happens, but I wouldn’t count on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sometimes when a belt breaks it can get caught or wrapped around any number of things such as the alternator or A/C compressor. I’ve even seen a belt get wrapped around the back of the harmonic balancer and take out a crankshaft seal. So, yeah, most of the time nothing happens, but I wouldn’t count on it.
Yes, BMW had an engine that would destroy itself by sucking a broken belt in through the crank seal damaging the block and crank usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For sure it is important to avoid a broken belt. But still, what I am wondering is why the very short mileage and mandatory time replacement interval. Did Alfa spec a belt that is a rib or 2 narrower than normal? To me, it seems like they created an unnecessary maintenance expense. My car will never get to 30K in 4 years, but I will change out the belt myself when the 4-year time comes. Just wish I didn't have to go to all that trouble.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I suspect many factory service/replacment mandates are for a worst case scenario, and give the factory warranty validation department a reason to carefully review warranty claims on some parts. NV

·
Registered
485 Posts
That and it could potentially be seen as an easy win maintenance item for dealership service departments. when you can charge 8 hrs of labor for anything is a win. lots of luxury car owners just follow the service department recommendations to a T and pay what they ask.

This makes me think back to the spark plug situation between 2018 and 2019. They changed the interval from 30k to 60k miles. I’d imagine this belt would be good to 50 or 60k miles. Ymmv and I’m not qualified to say that with any authority, but that’s my feeling on it.

Also, iirc you have to drain coolant out of one (or both?) coolant system to follow the Alfa procedure for replacing this belt. However, the replacement interval for the coolant is 100k miles. Kinda awkward.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, BMW had an engine that would destroy itself by sucking a broken belt in through the crank seal damaging the block and crank usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More than one engine. It's a the plague of the N54, N55 and N52. Belt gets shredded and sucked in through the crank seal and much later down the line pieces of belt block the oil pickup and cause oil starvation and lock up the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
More than one engine. It's a the plague of the N54, N55 and N52. Belt gets shredded and sucked in through the crank seal and much later down the line pieces of belt block the oil pickup and cause oil starvation and lock up the engine.
You talking timing belt or accessory belt?

·
Vendor
2,117 Posts
Might want to do it and not take any chances on what could possibly happen. Although the belt snapping will not directly cause damage to the engine, the side effect of this occurrence could cause similar damage to the above mentioned. This is why I stock this belt. This is similar to the old days where we reduced the Timing belt change on the 24V 3.0 V6 Busso engines from 50K miles to 30K miles. I have seen the belts look great, then one day they break and bend valves. Yes I know we are talking about Aux. belt here but it's an example. Better safe than sorry. The belts are very well made, yes. Made in France. Not junk by any means. But running at higher RPM, heat, etc can cause the belt to snap even though it make "look" good upon removal. There are way too many components that could get damaged, including jamming the crank pulley, jamming coolant fans, piercing radiator or intercoolers and it is in a tight spot.

Although the auxiliary belt is at the front of the engine it's buried behind coolant pipes, two charge air coolers and a large alloy support. Alfa claim that the bumper needs to be removed for this job but it's not necessary. The clips to the hoses on the charge air coolers will need replacing and the coolant system takes a little under six litres. I suggest taking it to an independent in order to not have Alfa go through their long procedure and charge you for it. I have belts in stock.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might want to do it and not take any chances on what could possibly happen. Although the belt snapping will not directly cause damage to the engine, the side effect of this occurrence could cause similar damage to the above mentioned. This is why I stock this belt. This is similar to the old days where we reduced the Timing belt change on the 24V 3.0 V6 Busso engines from 50K miles to 30K miles. I have seen the belts look great, then one day they break and bend valves. Yes I know we are talking about Aux. belt here but it's an example. Better safe than sorry. The belts are very well made, yes. Made in France. Not junk by any means. But running at higher RPM, heat, etc can cause the belt to snap even though it make "look" good upon removal. There are way too many components that could get damaged, including jamming the crank pulley, jamming coolant fans, piercing radiator or intercoolers and it is in a tight spot.

Although the auxiliary belt is at the front of the engine it's buried behind coolant pipes, two charge air coolers and a large alloy support. Alfa claim that the bumper needs to be removed for this job but it's not necessary. The clips to the hoses on the charge air coolers will need replacing and the coolant system takes a little under six litres. I suggest taking it to an independent in order to not have Alfa go through their long procedure and charge you for it. I have belts in stock.
Yeah, I looked around at the front of the engine and didn't see any reason to pull the bumper except perhaps to be able to get closer to the components that need to be removed. Does not look so difficult, just a lot of parts in the way so some time is needed. The belt is not expensive either.

It just seemed that in this day and age, with almost every other vehicle having minimum 2X the service life a 30K interval and in particular the mandatory 4-year/regardless of mileage replacement interval seems a little out of place. Heck, some QV's sat on dealers lots for almost 2 years with occasional test drives before finally being sold, accumulating 100-200 miles before being punched into service. Using the FCA metric, these vehicles will also need a new belt 2 years after sale regardless of mileage? And if the interval is now magically "4-years after sale" then does an occasionally driven QV still need a replacement at 4 years? Somewhat contradictory IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am quite certain you are wrong...these engines are interference fit engines and the act of breaking a belt will easily ruin your kids college first year housing expense.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am quite certain you are wrong...these engines are interference fit engines and the act of breaking a belt will easily ruin your kids college first year housing expense.
We’re talking about an accessory belt here, not a timing belt. People are speaking as though it’s a timing belt. I suppose it’s possible that it can do damage if it breaks but it’s much less likely than a timing belt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts