Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the Boston area and we get lots of snow. I am worried if I get the QV that it would be useless in the snow. I have never driven a rear wheel drive in the snow and I heard it was useless to do so. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Any RWD high HP sports car/sedan is not going to be the ideal vehicle of choice in snow.
With that being said, an efficient set of snow tires and good car control skills would make the experience fun...... if you don't mind the salt and possible rock chips......
If it is a winter like we had year you should be fine, much more than that I would park her especially in the heavy snow days...... good luck.....

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
SOTO snows ;)

Would be all for snow driving if the DOT's did NOT put all kinds of toxic parts welding corrosive stuff on the roads.

Mine has been parked most of the time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in Evanston IL just north of Chicago. Took delivery in mid Jan and immediately put Blizzaks on. As a direct result of that move, we have had exactly one day of snow since then. So I can't give you much feedback. I will say it did do a little slipping on snow, but was stable in the slush where they'd gotten salt on the roads.

Still have 'em on. I've been in Chicago a long time - always one last April snow...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't have a QV and the Ti Q2 is still being manufactured. But I do plan to drive it in the snow, I will have to its my daily driver. I'm planning to do the same thing I have being doing for years with a 3 series and have a set of smaller rims with snow tires. I have found with snow tires on an a bag or two of gravel in the trunk the RWD 3 series does better than many of the AWD SUV's running what I assume are all seasons. I did get the mechanical limited slip diff option which should help.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes and 50/50 weight distribution makes for good handling regardless. Get a set of 4 M+S winter tires and go crazy. Anything under 4 inches of snow should be child's play. They have been fantastic on my Miata, provided I'm not plowing snow above 4 inches, and that's with lowered ride height. I can get up my near 20' sloped driveway after work when we've had snow. Not a slip on Pirelli Sotto Zeros.
:D

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I live in Atlanta and yeah, the summer tires + light weight + power do not fare well in the snow. We just got hit with 4inches and I felt as though my tires were made of butter ��
Yeah, I drove it in ATL as well, and actually almost lost it last night on black ice, and mine is a non-QV. These are one of the few days I wished I had looked harder for a Q4.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
all the reasons the car handles well at high speed on dry pavement are equally valid on snow. it's a balanced car which is good. the thresholds just occur at lower speeds.

obviously you need the right tires, which depends on whether you encounter a lot of hills, have to go to work on bostons snow days, go skiing in new hampshire etc.

the crap they dump on the roads here is another story, what it does to the car scares the crap out of me, but I guess some see benefit in melting the snow before it gets to the ground.

the best car I had in the snow was an Alfetta GT, got caught in a road closure situation with summer tires - but the balance and predictability of the car was great.

FWD sucks in all conditions, and only exists for packaging and cost savings.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
in A or N mode you have every anti-lock, TC, yaw control etc coming on early to keep you from spinning tires or sliding etc

none of this stuff existed when RWD was the normal set up, and FWD was eco box

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have installed Michelin Alpin snow tires on my QV about two weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever in a recent snowstorm over the weekend where we received 8” of snow in my town. Was shocked by how good the grip actually was. Extremely stable. Tested the brakes hard on an unsalted/unsanded, snowy/icy backroad and almost went through the windshield! Tires were really adding to the stopping power.

I was also surprised how much grip I was getting going up steep hills. In fact, on the way to my daughter’s basketball game in the heart of the storm, I witnessed a newer American AWD SUV with All-Season Tires slide off the road into a tree on somebody’s front lawn while taking a gentle curve, and not particularly fast at that. I had zero problems with traction myself.

In a nutshell, the 50/50 balance and amazing traction continues to shine, even in the snow. I had been debating getting a deeply discounted Stelvio as my winter vehicle, but after this weekend, I am 100% confident in the Alfa’s ability to handle snowy weather.

Get good snow tires, toss DNA into N, drive smoothly, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the traction you’re getting. Even wearing Blizzaks, my prior F80 M3 could barely get out of my driveway, but once on the go, was manageable. The snow really seems to accentuate how good the QV’s ability to put power to the pavement is versus how horribly the M3 transferred its power. You see the same impressive balance and traction in the dry, but nice to see it carries over to the snow as well. Looking forward to even harsher snowstorms now to stress the QV and the Michelin Alpins even further.

Woo-hoo...alpine rallying season!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have installed Michelin Alpin snow tires on my QV about two weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever in a recent snowstorm over the weekend where we received 8” of snow in my town. Was shocked by how good the grip actually was. Extremely stable. Tested the brakes hard on an unsalted/unsanded, snowy/icy backroad and almost went through the windshield! Tires were really adding to the stopping power.

I was also surprised how much grip I was getting going up steep hills. In fact, on the way to my daughter’s basketball game in the heart of the storm, I witnessed a newer American AWD SUV with All-Season Tires slide off the road into a tree on somebody’s front lawn while taking a gentle curve, and not particularly fast at that. I had zero problems with traction myself.

In a nutshell, the 50/50 balance and amazing traction continues to shine, even in the snow. I had been debating getting a deeply discounted Stelvio as my winter vehicle, but after this weekend, I am 100% confident in the Alfa’s ability to handle snowy weather.

Get good snow tires, toss DNA into N, drive smoothly, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the traction you’re getting. Even wearing Blizzaks, my prior F80 M3 could barely get out of my driveway, but once on the go, was manageable. The snow really seems to accentuate how good the QV’s ability to put power to the pavement is versus how horribly the M3 transferred its power. You see the same impressive balance and traction in the dry, but nice to see it carries over to the snow as well. Looking forward to even harsher snowstorms now to stress the QV and the Michelin Alpins even further.

Woo-hoo...alpine rallying season!!
This is extremely nice to hear since I put on the same set of winters on my QV. Even your comment saying that "N" was OK inspires confidence since if it snows I was more or less likely to just leave it in A just to be on the safer side.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
202 Posts
A few years ago I was in Oulu Finland in January and it was quite an eye-opening experience.
With winter tires, everyone drives around in extremely cold weather as if the roads are dry, taking fast corners etc.
I am sure winter tires have a lot to do with that, as well as Finnish driving awareness/skills to deal with such conditions.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Booyah! M+S rated winters are what you want. Winters+Torque Vectoring=YETI!
:D

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
mc3456, yes!
the whole business of putting weight in the trunk has to do with (especially)
American cars being nose heavy understeering vehicles to start with. toss in (or out) the misconception that weight in general is good for snow, does anyone really want a whole lot of momentum sending them to the ditch? newton was right.

a great handling car is just that, and the more slippery the surface the more apparent those qualities become.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
mc3456 great info! Same rims or winter rims for the Michelin snows?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts