Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and what?

I'll start. My best friends father owned a silver 82 and later a black 85 GTV6. That got my juices flowing. When I saved $4k I bought a red 83 GTV6 in college that I loved to death...and it did die on me only after after eating my lunch money, my college book money and any money for dating. After all of that I promised myself if Alfa returns to the USA I'll buy another one.

Soon I'll order a Giulia QF.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
My father is an old Alfa guy from way back when. I've got plenty of seat time (both as driver and passanger) in his old GTV to know first hand what a driver's car Alfa is. When the 4C became available, I was first in line to buy one, which I did making it my daily driver. Almost three years went by until the Giulia arrived here in the USA. Now my wife owns an Alfa Romeo as well. Just to be a bit more clear, my first Alfa was/is a 4C and my second Alfa is 1/2 of the Giulia.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I've had a few.
The first was a 1969 Berlina.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm an Alfa fan since elementary school (late 1970s). Some of my classmates suggested that i should change my last name to AlfaRomeo :grin2:
Unfortunately, do to immigrating to the US in the late 1980s I had no chance to own many Alfas.

Owned only 2: 1979 Alfasud 1.5TI and 1972 GT Junior 1750.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I am a frequent visitor on the alfabb.com forum.

I currently have a 92 Spider Veloce.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Owned 5, Have 3 now

1978 Series II Spider Black ext Burgandy int (2nd owner) Drove it into the ground
1964 Step Nose Coupe (Giulia Sprint GT) (3rd owner) Currently in full resto mode
1993 164 L Green ext Butterscotch int (2nd owner) Sold after 140,000 miles
1991 164 S Alfa Red ext Black int (3rd owner) Still owned and loved
2017 Giulia Quad Rosso Comp ext Black int (1st owner)....Finally a new Alfa for me.....

·
Registered
692 Posts
I grew up riding in and then driving my Dad’s Alfas - a ‘58 giulietta spider and a ‘79 Sprint Veloce. They got me hooked. In college I bought a ‘69 spider that needed lots of attention and I spent my hard earned summer money paying to get the rust fixed and having it repainted. After graduating, my Dad bought that from me and I bought an 83 GTV6. After that burned in my driveway from plenum-pop syndrome, I bought an 84. That was a great car and was my daily driver for many years until I bought a used 87 Milano Gold. That became my daily driver until it hit about 220,000 miles in 2011. In the meantime I picked up a used 94 164LS as a family car. That one had over 200,000 miles when we sold it. I still have the spider (my Dad eventually gave it back to me) and the GTV6 as fun cars. I’m looking forward to having an Alfa again as a DD after six years without.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a 1991 Alfa Romeo 33 when I was living in Scotland. It replaced a Fiat Uno Turbo. My wife was pregnant, and insisted that we needed a sensible 4/5 door car. So, I bought the Alfa 33!

Friend's uncle had an Alfa Sud. I know, not a 'proper' Alfa, but great little car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We've had a grand total of 17 Alfas in my family.

Past Alfas: 4x 33, 2x 145, 1x 146, 4x 156, 2x 159, 2x GT
Current Alfas: 1x MiTo, 1x 8C Spider.
MacGeek: any plans to pick up a Quad, Ti, or Stelvio? Or maybe a better way to phrase, "what's the next Alfa you see yourself picking up?"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sad news

...and what?

I'll start. My best friends father owned a silver 82 and later a black 85 GTV6. That got my juices flowing. When I saved $4k I bought a red 83 GTV6 in college that I loved to death...and it did die on me only after after eating my lunch money, my college book money and any money for dating. After all of that I promised myself if Alfa returns to the USA I'll buy another one.

Soon I'll order a Giulia QF.
Shortly I after I created this post the father I mentioned died unexpectedly! RIP Pappa Jim...

I've been asked to help restore is Duetto.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is not enough room here to talk about the first Alfa Romeo I owned. I bought it in 1969. It was the very first car I ever owned. This red 1963 Giulietta blew up in the middle of know where a few months after I bought it. I spent as much as I paid for it to have it repaired. Due to other issues with the car I sold it within a year at a considerable loss.

My reaction to this experience was to buy another Alfa Romeo as soon as I could talk my then girlfriend and later wife into it. She would have absolutely nothing to do with the idea of another one of these cars until one day God told us to go ahead. I am not kidding, God did speak to us. We still have the 1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce we bought. This car is one of the best automobiles we have ever owned. However, it hated my wife. I suspect this is due to the mean things she said about Alfas during our many arguments over buying another one after the first unfortunate experience.

The next Alfa Romeo purchase was a 2017 Giulia. To show you what an insidious disease Alfa Romeo ownership is, it was only at the insistence of my wife that we purchased the car. I was going to buy two Mercedes-Benz cars. She wanted to buy two Giulias. We settled on one. By the way, the Giulia just loves her.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first Alfa was a new Alfa Romeo Sport Sedan I purchased in 1978. Kept it about two years until the local dealer folded and I traded it for a SAAB 900 Turbo. Next was a 1987 Black Spider Quad with gray interior that I purchased in 1995. It was in decent shape, but it took a bit of cash to get it up set up. In 2006 I got a 1991 Spider Veloce, red with tan interior. Beautiful car and a lot of fun to drive. Only 35,000 miles on when purchased. Sold it in 2012. Now just leased a ‘17 Ti. Vesuvio gray with tan interior. From what I see on this forum, I must be lucky because I am just getting home from a 2000 mile trip with no problems. Car is fast, smooth and very comfortable. Love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is my first Alfa, a 2017 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, but I grew up in an Alfa family. My dad had a 1978 Alfetta GT and still has a 1973 Montreal (which we're picking up on Tuesday after it just went through a mechanical restoration). He also had a mid-70's GTV and later a mid-70's Spider that he raced in SCCA regional races. I've always been an Audi guy, but I'm glad to be joining the club!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My first Alfa was a new Alfa Romeo Sport Sedan I purchased in 1978. Kept it about two years until the local dealer folded and I traded it for a SAAB 900 Turbo. Next was a 1987 Black Spider Quad with gray interior that I purchased in 1995. It was in decent shape, but it took a bit of cash to get it up set up. In 2006 I got a 1991 Spider Veloce, red with tan interior. Beautiful car and a lot of fun to drive. Only 35,000 miles on when purchased. Sold it in 2012. Now just leased a ‘17 Ti. Vesuvio gray with tan interior. From what I see on this forum, I must be lucky because I am just getting home from a 2000 mile trip with no problems. Car is fast, smooth and very comfortable. Love it.
Beautiful Spider!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Giulia will be my first Alfa too, once it gets here! ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts