Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many Giulia's have Paddle Shifters? When shopping dealer inventory on their websites, it appeared only 15-20% of cars in stock had them. I visited one dealer and they had no cars with Shifters out of the 20 cars on the floor. This really surprised me since the sporting nature of the Giulia practically begs for those paddles. What are your reasons why you did or did not buy the Paddle Shifters? Was it an undesirable option and you would rather save the money? Or was it you never used paddles before and found then useless? Or was it when you buy an automatic, you want it fully automatic. Or maybe there was some other reason.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I have them and love them.. next best thing to manual for me. Use them every trip. I look at them as a 'modern' manual option and have always owned manuals.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have them because I wanted the 19" sports package. I like the way that package makes the car look and the paddles were just a bonus. If they would not have come with the package I probably would not have ordered them as a stand alone option, because I've never had anything like them before. But, now that I have them, I LOVE them! Much sportier feeling shifting the auto with the paddles than with the shift lever.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Must have.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My in stock Giulia Q4 AWD just happened to come with the Sport Interior Package, which includes the paddle shifters.
Both the Sport Interior Package and Sport Appearance Package were big buying influences for me. Love them both!
I use them occasionally the paddles, what a blast! The other features in the Sport Interior Package are also very nice!

Giulia:

Sport Interior Package
Aluminum Interior Accents
Sport Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Aluminum Steering Column Mounted Paddle Shifters
Bright Aluminum Pedals
Bright Door Speaker Surrounds

Giulia Ti:

Aluminum Steering Column Mounted Paddle Shifters
Included in both Ti 18-in and Ti19-in Sport Package

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
210 Posts
I have them performance epakcage, which includes the paddles. It was really the only package I wanted, but got the driver assist plus package too. No navi, no sunroofs. I love paddles and drive with them 75% of the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Love the paddles. I like being able to downshift instead of brake, and the paddles make it easy. On upshifts, I can rev the engine above where automatic shift kicks in. Especially in Dynamic mode, it is great fun!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
paddle shifters?

I thought those things had something to do with math, and I was about to blast Alfa for yet another nonworking item: the built-in calculator doesn't work!

Thanks for clarifying >:)

actually I love them. First nonmanual sports car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mixed feelings. Love the idea of them, however, I have them on my BMW and honestly I very rarely use them. To me the sport attire really makes the Giulia and that pretty much means paddles. So paddles it will be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have them. Never been a big fan of the "manual" shifting in autos, but these are awesome! they feel sweet, they make the interior look amazing and like most people have said, they are a blast. I got them with the 19 in sport pack. Probably wouldn't have cared to get them by themselves if they didn't come with it. But, man am I glad I have them. Down shifting allows for this glorious sound in the lower gears, and up shifts let you rev much higher.
Overall, they are a must have in my opinion

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
I would've guessed the percentage was much higher, maybe even 50%?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Word. They make the car that much more fun to drive. If you have the option to get them, do it.

Also a huge plus that they're column mounted as opposed to wheel mounted.
Also have a Quad so the paddles are there....but they are a difference maker for sure...Revs are much more controllable with the paddles vs manually using the shifter....Also as mentioned, they are column mounted...they are also BIG !!! The first paddle shift I had was a 2004 Cambiocorsa Coupe (Maserati)...this was the old F-1 style transmission so there was no manual shift capability....either drive it as a full automatic or shift via column mounted paddles....so that was where I learned...and like the Giulia's they were big and aluminum....then came a few other cars with paddles but always small and mounted on the steering wheel...never cared for them and rarely used them....so the take home is that not only did they make beautiful, funditonal paddles...but they put them where they belong....on the column, not on the wheel....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have them and do have fun with them... although when I first started using them I would start chatting or jamming with a song on the radio and forget to upshift. Much better now :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My non scientific estimate was based on visiting over a dozen dealer websites from coast to coast and clicking on each car in inventory. I must have checked out over 200 Giulia's and it appeared only 15-20% of the cars had Paddle Shifters. It was disappointing because paddles were a must have for me.

I would've guessed the percentage was much higher, maybe even 50%?

·
Registered
658 Posts
The Giulia is the first auto I have ever owned and its the (full time) paddles that convinced me it was a car I could own. I don't always drive in paddle only mode but I do always use the paddles on every drive because it turns it back into a transmission you drive rather than one that drives you. They are an essential for me, the stock exhaust isn't providing enough audio feedback for me but I'm working on changing that :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts