Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
1,211 Posts
Well my dealer replaced the Diff and by the time I got off noisy interstate, I could hear it again. It's either something else or a bad run of Diff's (like I said my 2017 Q4 never made the noise in 32k miles). Tech suspected the drive shaft at first, it's not exhaust, u joint, bearings?
Hi riparke,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this concern with your Giulia. If you plan to continue addressing this with your dealer, please feel free to follow up with me via private message and I would be happy to re-escalate your case for further assistance.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts
Does anyone with an aftermarket exhaust have this whining issue?

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts
Reactions: Alfissimo

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
of course he did. He has to justify swapping a diff out and also convince a customer the problem is solved.
I have to agree. Unless he was tearing up the car all the time, doubt it was dirty and smelled burnt.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia TI Sport - Rossa Red + Tan Interior
43 Posts
I'm also experiencing the same thing. Just drove off the lot with a new 2020 TI Sport with less than 100 miles on it. When cruising (even low rpm) above 60/65 mph it's very noticeable even above medium volume music. King of irritating. Doesnt appear to be dependent on RPM.

Also when I turn the car on and rev I hear a high pitched whine that I did not hear on my 2017 base model lease. The dealer (Anaheim) thought maybe just some intake noise? But at higher highway speeds it's really unacceptably loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also been hearing a whine and will get it checked out at the Alfa Romeo dealer next week. It's not super loud but it's also not possible to ignore it (so far). I hear it on acceleration and above ~30 mph (something like that); not when coasting or braking.
In my particular case, there is no issue -- it's the sound of the turbo.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm also experiencing the same thing. Just drove off the lot with a new 2020 TI Sport with less than 100 miles on it. When cruising (even low rpm) above 60/65 mph it's very noticeable even above medium volume music. King of irritating. Doesnt appear to be dependent on RPM.

Also when I turn the car on and rev I hear a high pitched whine that I did not hear on my 2017 base model lease. The dealer (Anaheim) thought maybe just some intake noise? But at higher highway speeds it's really unacceptably loud.
Mine was the exact same way both 2017 and 2019 the 19 is definitely louder than the 17. Both cars I drained the rear diff fluid and put Amsoil in the rear diff making it way quieter, the more miles I put on it after putting the Amsoil in the quieter it gets, just don't expect it to be silent after having it done, I would say after a 1000 miles later after having the fluid swapped it's about 85% quieter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Reminds me of the good old days when unscrupulous people would put STP in any part of the car so you wouldn't hear the knocking rod bearings, chipped tooth in second gear, etc. It would do the job long enough to sell the car.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,970 Posts
Reminds me of the good old days when unscrupulous people would put STP in any part of the car so you wouldn't hear the knocking rod bearings, chipped tooth in second gear, etc. It would do the job long enough to sell the car.
I worked with a guy who did that. He rationalized that he was sold a piece of junk, and he was just passing it along.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Or the guy that sold my (then young) father a car with the differential packed with sawdust. A car that my Dad was depending on to get my then pregnant mother from Washington state to Florida. The car completed the trip with the differential howling like an air raid siren almost the whole way, but I seem to remember my Dad saying he abandoned it and made no more payments on it.

Differentials do vary from unit to unit, particularly those with ring and pinion gears. I hear nothing at all from the diff in my Q4, now with 55000 miles on the ODO. The transmission sometimes makes some very faint noises, but I believe that is normal.

·
Vendor
1,211 Posts

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grave digging this thread to throw my own issue in here on a 2017 with ~18k on it. Pretty high pitch whine between 30 and 55 mph, seems to be speed dependent and ramps up or down when changing speed. Not as noticeable at higher speeds.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
An update here, I noticed that my diff fluid is black, changed it, and now there is a noticeable low pitched whine under some conditions.

Whatever is in the old fluid must be pretty coarse as it settles out after a few days.

The OEM fluid has a very strong "gear oil" smell while the replacement fluid does not. I have never smelled gear oil with such a strong odor, but it is just a strong version of what I have smelled before, making me wonder if the fluid was improperly mixed by the supplier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got my MY20 Veloce (TI) Q4. and I notice this whine on 103-110km/h (i think 64 to 70mph) especially on cruise control and when accelarating.
Car has 6000km (3500miles). Not so loud but for sure noticeable. Lets see what european dealer will say about it.
Seen another thread having on the same range this noise! which can be something, normal? As I have no previous experience with AWD/RWD I do not know if it is even normal to hear that.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts
I just got my MY20 Veloce (TI) Q4. and I notice this whine on 103-110km/h (i think 64 to 70mph) especially on cruise control and when accelarating.
Car has 6000km (3500miles). Not so loud but for sure noticeable. Lets see what european dealer will say about it.
Seen another thread having on the same range this noise! which can be something, normal? As I have no previous experience with AWD/RWD I do not know if it is even normal to hear that.
I believe it's the differential, mine does it too. Hasn't gotten any better or worse over 15k miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe it's the differential, mine does it too. Hasn't gotten any better or worse over 15k miles.
I still have 3.5years warranty, so If it changes ok! though I think I will get used to it.
Changing Diff oil, could that help to tame the noise?

·
Vendor
1,211 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,202 Posts

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares
You should open a case for every AR Giulia / Stelvio owner as the rear differential whining noise occurs on every one that I have been in. :D

21 - 40 of 46 Posts